ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will not start when warm

Clio Trophy (225/500)
Hi,

My girlfriends 1.4 16v Phase 2 Mk1 clio is having problems starting once it's warmed up. For example, if she goes to fill up and goes to stat her car again after 2-3 mins, it will turn over but not start.

She then has to wait a minute or so and it eventually starts. It doesn't happen everytime, but I don't like the idea of her getting stuck anywhere.

My local mechanic can't find anything wrong with it, so I was hoping someone on here might be able to help.

Thanks in advance
Graham

Lots of Alfas
This is normally caused by a faulty coolant temp sensor. When starting the ecu thinks the engine is cold/colder than it is. Its also worth cleaning the tdc sensor too.

Clio Trophy (225/500)
Thanks Dave. Do you think I'll have to go for renault for the coolant sensor, or will GSF have one?
Many thanks

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
classic symptons of faulty tdc/crank sensor.
get a new one , you will need a loom as well , approx £40ish + vat for the parts.
will sort the problem.

Clio Trophy (225/500)
So I suppose it's a case of trial and error. TDC/sensor or coolant sensor, but which one first? Should I try cleaning the TDC sensor and if that desn't work, buy an new coolant sensor?

What do you mean buy loom as well? Do you mean the plug that is attached?
Cheers