ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Win 2008 R2 and Macs (10.5.8) problems with shares

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Anyone come across any issues when connecting to shares ?

Basically, they are really slow at connecting and navigating folder structures. There is obviously something not right.

Initially I thought I'd solved it because the primary suffix was pointing to our old domain (under system prefs > network), once I changed that it was rapid at connecting and browsing. A few hours later the problem started again !?!?

Any ideas guys ?

DMS

A thirsty 172
What's your network topology? I've seen issues like this before and the cause was due to fragmentation. If you've got a piece of hardware with a maximum MTU that's lower than the client and server in between the two you might experience a few issues (although in reality you shouldn't)
Another thing to try is to edit the local security policy on the Windows 2008 server. This isn't recommended, so if it doesn't work change the settings back...

Open up gpedit.msc from a Run command.
Expand Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options

Set Microsoft Network Client: Digitally Sign Communications (always) to "Disabled"
Set Microsoft Network Client: Digitally Sign Communications (if client agrees) to "Enabled"
Set Microsoft Network Server: Digitally Sign Communications (always) to "Disabled"
Set Microsoft Network Server: Digitally Sign Communications (if client agrees) to "Enabled".

If that doesn't make a difference change them back.

Also, try changing to List view if you haven't already and see if that helps. The slowness might be partially related to Finder trying to load all the thumbnails for the icons etc.

Other than that, fook knows...

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Cheers mate. Going to give DAVE v8 a try first .. http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

Seems lots of people have had issues with slow speeds, seems to be down to a bug or incompatibility with SMB. Who knows !?

I remember changing some GP settings or registry keys in Win 2003 similar to above.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Still having problems with this :( ... and apparently 10.6 is no better.

Any mac experts on here, I'd even pay someone to get this sorted!

Fiesta ST
I've got a mac connecting to an 2008 server and seems ok. Have you tried connecting using the 'connect to server' via smb://serverip or cifs://serverip?

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Everything was fine with 2003 R2, and apparently MS dropped services for macintosh in server 2008.

I've trawlled LOADS of posts related to the same issues we have been having with 08 and 08 R2 ... and no solutions.

Weird thing is it works, then it doesnt, then you get a -36 error, then it works ok again. Just random errors, also apps saying its saved, then you check the date stamp on the server and it hasnt saved. Finder works fast, then slow as sh*t, then not at all.

Put this software on the server now and all is good! ... for now anyway ;) .. I'll run the eval for a week or so they buy it me thinks.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
I think there is obviously some incompatibility issues with the smb protocol or afs, maybe apple have made some changes, then advised MS and they have said tough sh*t we are not changin our code ... or vice versa. Who knows?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I think there is obviously some incompatibility issues with the smb protocol or afs, maybe apple have made some changes, then advised MS and they have said tough sh*t we are not changin our code ... or vice versa. Who knows?

It's quite likely, the companies aren't exactly best buddies.

Would you help out one of your biggest rivals to make their lives easier?