ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Win7 & ALC898 popping/crackling

Windows 7 64bit - Asrock Extreme 4 z77 mobo - ALC898 codec

So ive been having this issue (noticed it a while back) when im either listening to music, watching films etc through my pc where the sound crackles and pops/distorts very randomly

At first i thought it was my old logitech 6.1 speakers (cable was F'd) but worked most of the time. Swapped for a temp creative 2.1 system and still the same. Changed for some new logitech Z506 and still does it. does it with 2 different sets of headphones too!

Tried all drivers, updated right to the latest, fully uninstalled - removed from registry etc and re-installed but still no luck, it does seem to get better with every driver update but i think thats placebo.

Only things left to do would be a fresh install of windows? try a dedicated sound card? ive been trying to find a solution for ages but having no luck. quite common though apparently with this ALC and Win7

any help would be appricated :)

Hmm will check the headphone port on the front.

Mobo is all secured down ok with the correct mounts, screws and the little washer things.

Only other thing i can imagine it being is interference from PSU, WC setup, fans?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf, I'd pretty much have attempted the reformat as one of the first fixes :)

I did have this on my old Soundblaster X-Fi card running on the PCI bus. I changed the PCI latency which helped a lot, but the problem went away completely when I switched to the onboard Realtek card.

My newer Soundblaster PCI-X card has never had a problem (touch wood)

D.