ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows NTFS Partition on Ext HDD

Tesla MP3 2021
I have an ext HDD that has been formatted on a Windows NTFS partition and I want to be able to read/write to the HDD in OSX.

Google seems to suggest I need to install software on the Mac, if this is the case which is the best one, whats involved etc etc.

Thanks

Megane
Do you have any data on the drive you need?

If so copy it off and re-format the drive on a windows machine to Fat 32, you should be able to Read NTFS, it's just OSX doesn't allow you to Write to the file system.

If you don't have any data on it you need, just re-format it in windows to Fat 32. Then you can use it in both Windows and OSX to store stuff.

DMS

A thirsty 172
FAT32 will work but you're limited to a 4GB file size and it's more wasteful of disk clusters.
You could install MacFUSE and NTFS-3G then mount the volume from the terminal, or if you're clever you could write an AppleScript to do it for you.
By far the easiest way would be to download a piece of software called "NTFS for Mac OS X" which is essentially just a front end for the above, thus making the whole process easy for anyone that can't get their head around it.

As above, just install MacFuse. Piece of piss.

I run NTFS volumes under Windows and OSX with zero issues. It's a myth that you can't do it.

Tesla MP3 2021
As above, just install MacFuse. Piece of piss.

I run NTFS volumes under Windows and OSX with zero issues. It's a myth that you can't do it.

Just noticed I already have MacFuse installed. What do I need to do once I have connected the HDD?

Thanks

Tesla MP3 2021
lol right ok. I will take another look but im pretty sure it said the drive was read only.

Tesla MP3 2021
Sorted. I downloaded NTFS-3g as a separate program and I now have full access to my HDD :)

Ta