ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows Server 2003

dk

911 GTS Cab
whats the point really?

its a server os, winxp and vista are perfect for the home.

Jesus, yeah it is pretty pricey. TBH I doubt I'd even try it anyway, I just reformatted this morning to Vista and realised i still hate it, so I just wanted to try something different to XP. I can't handle linux as I'm a newb :p Is there anything else :(

Server 2003 is pretty much the same as XP in a desktop role.. so you wouldn't notice that much if you turned the themeing on, cd writing on etc..

Hmmm, so how much more stable is it to XP, or is it just the fact that a lot of the unneeded services are disabled/completely removed?

I think it's all down to drivers - 2003 Drivers are very good.
On the other hand, if you have good drivers in XP, it's just as solid.

Hardware for hardware, there shouldn't be much in it.. things only become unstable when you install lots of rubbish - which you will on a desktop. Servers don't tend to have much crap installed.. it's generally all very well tested obviously.

What about win2k, lol...

Out of interest, is there much software that doesnt support win2k today?

I know MSN stopped supporting it since 7.0~ but is there much else?

Windows 2000 Pro was very good, but, there's absolutly no reason to go back to using it now.. XP is equally as good with SP2.

And, just use Vista.. seriously. :p

Or sell up and get a Mac.

Mac wont run most the stuff I use out of the box though will it?

Vista does my head in though, keeps saying my video drivers are out of date even tho i got the latest ones of ATI site, so i follow the link that the out of date message gives me, and it takes me to the exact same drivers I have :/

Also when alt tabbing from an opengl game, aero goes tits up and I get messages about that, and how Vista basic has automatically been applied. Urgh!

I guess that wholey depends on the stuff you use ;)

Saying that, I've got a Macbook Pro doing nothing.. as I've just bought a Dell D420 running Vista :eek: ;)

I guess that wholey depends on the stuff you use ;)

Saying that, I've got a Macbook Pro doing nothing.. as I've just bought a Dell D420 running Vista :eek: ;)

Feel free to send me your Macbook Pro then and I'll give it a go! ;)

The stuff I use... hmmm, normal days I just browse and MSN, but acasionally I will have a few hours of gaming.

Use OSX in the day and reboot into XP when you want to play games on an Intel mac :rasp:

I dunno what I'm doing with my MBP.. may find it's way onto eBay I guess.

Ive just disabled themes and desktop manager services and Vista becomes much better.... I'll try live with it for a while and hopefully get used to its gheyness.

Ive already disabled a load of services but do you know of anymore services I can affaud to loose?

Does the Vista desktop always run in OpenGL, or is it just when using Areo?

What version of messenger are you running on Vista? I tried 7.5 but when people message you, the little pop up thing was completely blank, so I tried Windows Live Messenger, but I also hate this.

Anythin else I can kill?

servicesqr1.jpg