ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen Repellent

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Hi all,

For the past couple of years I've been meaning to get some windscreen repllent to use through the winter but never got round to it.

What's the best out there that won't break the bank and doesn't take an age to apply? Haven't researched what's about since last year or even the year before that so no doubt new products will have come out in the meantime.

Thanks

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i'd go G5 after more use, the ease of application really helps!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I like g1. Never had any issues with application, just have to take your time. Lasts for bloody ages.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
How long does g5 last for? Never tried it. Can you use it over g1? So a long lasting base and g5 as a top up?

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Thanks for the speedy reply lads.

Ultra clean base is key.

This is where it'd end up going wrong for me as I'm a bit of a buffoon. I've not got a machine polisher or IPA or anything like that so I need something that isn't too fussy and ideally comes with a glass cleaner that I can use first.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
This is where it'd end up going wrong for me as I'm a bit of a buffoon. I've not got a machine polisher or IPA or anything like that so I need something that isn't too fussy and ideally comes with a glass cleaner that I can use first.

Get the G4 Nano Polish to use before it. Will be perfect then.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
is all this stuff not just snake oil? been driving 17 years never needed it yet

Absolutely not. The difference between a treated and untreated windscreen is biblical.

Being able to drive along the motorway, in absolutely monsoon weather, without even needing to turn your wipers on, is a very good example.

Clio Trophy
i guess i have only used the cheaper types, and that was about 15 years ago, might have a look into it, how long does last inbtween applications?

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member
Well Gtechniq say that the life of the G5 is 6 months, and the life of G1 is 2 years, but as you can see above some people have lasted even longer than that.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Get G1.

I was driving to work in the pissing down rain today and thought to myself that it's the best thing I've ever done to my car.

It f**king simple to apply. If I can get it right first time anyone can.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Gtechniq g1 if you're wanting proper long term results and are willing to put the time and effort in. If you're wanting short term results powermaxed rain off is the easiest to apply

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
G5 is the easiest of them all to apply. G1 is bit more difficult but if you follow the instructions correctly, you shouldn't go wrong.

McGherkin

Macca fan boiiiii
ClioSport Club Member

The videos don't really do it justice.

EDIT:
1448444039.4226.iPicit.jpg

Both windows have just been hit by a wave, left is treated and right is not.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
i see, i may have to do this as ive noticed when i was my car the rear side windows water just runs off in seconds and im guessing they've been treated, if it acts like this in the windcreen im game!

The angle of the glass helps with the water sheeting off.

G5 is more repellent than G1, hence it works at lower speeds on the windscreen.

Also worth noting that you need to leave G5 a few hours after applying before letting it get wet, where as G1 is ready to go straight after application.

To all the RainX answers, try G5. Just as easy to apply, significantly better. RainX is reserved solely for my shower glass now.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
This.

If you're not a polisher.

Im definitely not a polisher, my car is lucky to get a wash but for the sake of a quick wipe over the screen and lights with rainx, and a squirt in the washer bottle with the additive its been great on my rally cars and road cars for years.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
i see, i may have to do this as ive noticed when i was my car the rear side windows water just runs off in seconds and im guessing they've been treated, if it acts like this in the windcreen im game!

3 coats of G1 on the windscreen and one coat on the rear and side.

Trust me, for how long G1 lasts it's not worth pissing about with anything else.

£15.95 gets you a kit of G1, G2 (residue remover) and some G4 glass polish.

Don't let anyone tell you it's hard to apply because it really isn't.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I use rainX window cleaner and then pour a bit in with my (just water) screen wash. Works a treat!

182 Whipppp
I second RainX! Some people don't like it but I think it's great tac! It builds up, so after using it 2/3 times it gets better!