ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen, replace or fill?

FF RB 182
Right, I do not know if I am posting in the right place for this! So don't moan at me if you want to move it mods! So sorry in advance.

Anyway! Iv got a chip in my windscreen but its got a slight crack in it as well.
I was wondering if there is anyone on here that replaces them for a living and will know if it needs replacing or filling?

If I post a picture can some one tell me pretty pleeeease :)

Glanza V
this has just happed to me today :( got a tiny chip in my front window (passenger side) its got a tiny crack along it also :S been on the auto-glass website and it says £66 (exc vat) not keen on paying this much like but if it has 2 be done is has to be paid :( oh well

FF RB 182
Mine happened not long after I'd had it replaced the first time. The day I did this I also scraped my car along a pipe where I park at uni. A HUGE stone flew out the back of a truck on the m62 coming back from 'ull, had no cover on, which am sure is illegal. But I was that annoyed that I didn't take the number plate or name of company. Bad day.

And mark, take it your not fully comp?

if your replacing get a heated front screen tbh
iirc they 160 £ posted :D
No heated front screens on clios in the UK at all. Heat reflective yes, heated no.
A heat reflective one is over £200 autoglass ask about £400 for one.

a thirsty one
i found a chip which has led to a 1 inch crack in my screen right at the bottom, it seems to have grown a bit today so nipped to autoglass and they said its only chips they repair and if there is a crack i will need a new one, going to check my insurance policy.

is that right
crack = new screen
chip = repairable

FF RB 182
i found a chip which has led to a 1 inch crack in my screen right at the bottom, it seems to have grown a bit today so nipped to autoglass and they said its only chips they repair and if there is a crack i will need a new one, going to check my insurance policy.

is that right
crack = new screen
chip = repairable

Try a crack along the length of the whole windscreen at drivers eye height! That's a new windscreen for sure (fella did that one!)

172 Race Car
I have the same issue with a stone chip, im prob gonna get a new screen.

Cup racers had heated screens, can these be got hold of at all?

FF RB 182
Still not got a picture! The chip in my windscreen is similar to the chipped windscreen in the autoglass advert. 'Cos in the advert the chip has sight cracks round it dun it? Well so dus mine!

Will get a picture up eventually :D

BMW E46 330i Touring
Give your insurance co a call, most (if not all?) will have a deal with a windscreen company to repair chips free and replace screens (if needed) for a small excess.

FF RB 182
Give your insurance co a call, most (if not all?) will have a deal with a windscreen company to repair chips free and replace screens (if needed) for a small excess.

Iv already had one replacement windscreen (with my old insurers) and I would ring them but then I don't know if I need a new windscreen or if it just needs fixing? I don't want to book a appointment for a chip fixing, then need a new windscreen.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Ah right, in that case maybe lightly tap a hammer against the chip to get the cracks to spread to 'guarantee' that it'll need replacing?

2010 focus Rs
yep make the crack worse so it def needs replacing, wish i did when i had mine repaired, it looks sh*t now in the middle of the screen, its even starting to mist up inside the crack :s
dont repair, replace!!

Formally Clio 182
If the chip is over 10mm or something it will need replacing which I what I found out today.

I await a new windscreen. £75 excess tho with fully comp insurance with tesco. Still clio windscreens with the sensors cost like £500 anyway.

FF RB 182
hmmmm. surely if it is chipped. If i want a new windscreen I can have a new un if am paying?lol