ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wireless ADSL Routers???

Golf GTI 1.8T
Hi, I've just ordered a new Dell laptop and need to get a ADSL router for my familys pc so I can have wireless connection. Anybody recommend anything different to the Belkin one I've seen in PC World for £69.99?

Golf GTI 1.8T
cheers harry, no I wont be needed the card, notebook comes with that already onboard. anyone else got any recommendations?

LiquidPhoto.co.uk
had a netgear jobbie for a year or so, always worked perfectly (ive jinxed it now tho! )

i bought the 3com wireless router/firewall with free laptop card for about 80 quid, its never let me down yet...

C4 Grand Picasso
I bought a BT Voyager 2100 about a year ago of ebay - been spot on ever since. Have managed to sort port forwarding for Bittorrent programs and do some ftp'ing to my xbox pretty easily, I think they are around £60 in shops now.

Golf GTI 1.8T
Had a little result, was watching those belkin ones on ebay, it went for £55 + £8.45 P&P so £63.45. I've got a friend who works in Dixons, kindly got me 10% discount so only payed £62.99. thanks anyway peeps.
Oh and whats the firewall protection like on those things, is it worth getting norton internet security like I've got on the pc?

The firewall is usually good if its set to high. Ive never bothered with a software firewall and never had any problems. If u do buy 1 dont get norton it slows ur comp down.

Cavalier
mitchzxr said:
Had a little result, was watching those belkin ones on ebay, it went for £55 + £8.45 P&P so £63.45. I've got a friend who works in Dixons, kindly got me 10% discount so only payed £62.99. thanks anyway peeps.
Oh and whats the firewall protection like on those things, is it worth getting norton internet security like I've got on the pc?

I got the belkin one wireless g from pc world. I have the firewall turned off on it and use my norton one. aint as hard to make exceptions if required. pc world currently have norton security 2006 on sale for £26 so its worth a buy anyway.
The other thing is i have a laptop connected to my router as well and had all sorts of trouble trying to get it to connect with the router with its in built card. ended up buying one of the belkin usb connectors and had no trouble with it. Again they are about £20.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Commando22-CM- said:
I got the belkin one wireless g from pc world. I have the firewall turned off on it and use my norton one.

:eek: Have you got a specific reason for doing that? Unless you've got a good reason, I'd turn it back on to get the inherent extra security you get from running with NAT. (And keep your software firewall on the PC)

Golf GTI 1.8T
well my laptop arrived yesterday, early but I'm not complaining. Spent all night trying to get it to network to the router and computer, eventually got the internet working fine through it but haven't yet worked out how to use it as a home network (file sharing etc). any tips cause I've done the wizard but I know I missing something vital as that made no difference?? help!

oh and I went pc world last night and norton 2006 was £59.99 there and half price when you bought any pc or laptop.

Monaro VXR
Why use a software firewall when the hardware based one on the router is massively better the software one is damn near pointless. Learn how to do port forwarding and it only ever has to be set up once.

It also uses resources on the computer that dont need to be used.

And i woulda said avoid the belkin wireless ones :( friend of mine has one no matter what we do with it had loads of us try sorting it it will sstay connected for a while then it always dies. Friend of ours sets up networks in schools etc he couldnt get it working either so wasnt the way we were setting it up.

For any routers theres only 3 brands i would look at.

Dlink
Linksys
Netgear

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
wozzaa said:
Why use a software firewall when the hardware based one on the router is massively better the software one is damn near pointless. Learn how to do port forwarding and it only ever has to be set up once.

Yeah, I'd definately have the hardware one turned on, just for NAT - to stop unsolicted traffic getting anywhere near anything on the network.

A software firewall can be useful addition, as any half decent one will alert you when an application tries to use sockets - and gives you the opportunity to block access.

Golf GTI 1.8T
interceptor said:
I use a Belkin router-has it's Tantrums every now and again but touch wood good.
Also there cust support is good :)

I phone the free tech support last night and got a dead line tone, would be nice if they printed the opening hours on the box. And it deffinately don't take 3 mins to setup up in 3 easy steps as it says. I think you'd struggle to do it in 30 mins even with everything sitting there in an empty room. Oh well least Igot the internet now, but I need the file sharing and printer sharing too if poss, seen as I've put the free printer on ebay.