ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Woman trying to do me out of money, has she messed up big time?

306 GTI-6
I dont know, for some reason I think she is going to send it to me, or its going to appear on my desk. Am thinking of sending it back with a letter along the lines of:

Thankyou for providing me with a quote for the repair of your car. I have decided that a claim will need to be made through the insurance company, who will be in touch with you in due course to arrange a suitable date and time for inspection of the damage, prior to any repairs being made.

I trust this will be ok, as the insurers will use one of their approved repairers to carry out any repairs they decide are necessary under the claim.

Or

Thanks for the quote for the repairs to your car, would it be possible for me to have the car inspected by an independent garage of my choice before I agree to any repairs being carried out?

Clio 200
My Reply : I dont know why you have decided to leave this rediculous quote for repairs to your mazda on my desk as i never damaged your vehicle. If you wish to persue a claim please put this through the insurance along with documentary evidence that I damaged your car and the alleged damage that i have caused so the insurance company can decide if I am to be held Liable.

306 GTI-6
Will see what happens. If it arrives in normal post, it may be overlooked and binned as some strange junkmail. Stuff gets lost on my desk all the time, clear desk policy FTW.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Thankyou for providing me with a quote for the repair of your car. I have decided that a claim will need to be made through the insurance company, who will be in touch with you in due course to arrange a suitable date and time for inspection of the damage, prior to any repairs being made.

I trust this will be ok, as the insurers will use one of their approved repairers to carry out any repairs they decide are necessary under the claim.

I'd use that one.

Will she not see you about it face to face?

Mk2 1.2 Campus
If she's been given a courtesy car then it sounds like she's gone through her insurance company, your insurance company wouldn't normally ask to see her car. It'd be her insurance company that would foot the bill then claim it all back from her.

Sorry but it looks like you might be screwed

306 GTI-6
If she's been given a courtesy car then it sounds like she's gone through her insurance company, your insurance company wouldn't normally ask to see her car. It'd be her insurance company that would foot the bill then claim it all back from her.

Sorry but it looks like you might be screwed

Ah, but the message she had passed on to me was she didnt mind if I paid for it or went through insurance, this was when her car was at garage being fixed. And the courtesy car is from her local garage.

So would her insurance company not have had to contact me at any point about it if she was claiming against me?

Clio 200
no chance the insurance are gonna put her in a jag while her mazda is being fixed

and no , they will fix the car etc then forward the claim to your insurance company which will probably take about 3-4 weeks to do by time they book the claim up allocate it to a handler blah blah

306 GTI-6
no chance the insurance are gonna put her in a jag while her mazda is being fixed

and no , they will fix the car etc then forward the claim to your insurance company which will probably take about 3-4 weeks to do by time they book the claim up allocate it to a handler blah blah

So if I dispute the amount of damage she says I caused, how will my insurance company be able to check the car to satisfy themselves before paying out, if she has already had it paid.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
If she has already had the repairs done prior to contacting her insurance company, she doesh't have a leg to stand on as they won't pay for any repairs not authorised by them. So keep your hands in your pocket. Her insuarance company would have told to to take it to one of their authorised garages who would then assess the damage caused by your knock only and would have discounted any previous damage (insurance companies don't like paying out over the top incase they don't get their money back). She should have also have given you a couple of quotes before she had any work done to it so you could either agree to pay up or go through your insurance. So the only thing you should be giving her is a good ignoring.

306 GTI-6
See this is where I am now unsure. Wouldn't my insurance company have contacted me by now if she was claiming against me? Because where is any proof other than her word that the damage was caused by me?

Megane 225
Get ur own car fixed now, so when they come to inspect it there is no damage to support her claim that ur car hit hers? That way there is no damage to either car so how can she possible claim for damage?

306 GTI-6
I see your point.

What annoys me is the lack of information on insurers websites about what happens if someone claims against you. They all have info about how to make a claim, but nothing about the proces the other way round.

vaux cavalier
As far as I understand it;

1, You hit her car, informed her of this and came to some arrangement...

2, She went ahead and had her car fixed, (probably by order of her ins comp)...

3, Your now complaining that she had a Jag to drive around in, (prob supplied as stipulated in her ins cover)....

4, Your not happy because she appears to be having extensive repairs that your minor shunt didn't cause....

5, Your totally unsure where you now stand....

Just to clarify a few points....

1, Your ins covers you
2, Her ins covers her
3, You admitted liability when you went to admit you hit her car...

Her ins will repair her car, then claim against your ins, you no longer have a say in how they proceed....You were at fault, she wasn't, she's had the inconvenience of some blind car park warrior hitting and damaging her car, either way you look at it come renewal time this is going to bite you in the ass....

As already stated, your screwed....

I had a none fault claim around 2 years ago, my ins supplied me with a hire car & paid out for my car, (because my car was a write off my ins comp told me to keep the hire car until the other drivers ins had settled in full), the other drivers ins folded straight away, paid out in full for my car plus £2800 for the hire car.....

Best thing you can do is hold your hands up and hope your ins comp cover all expenses....

306 GTI-6
Ok, you dont seem to have read the whole thread. She has spoken to someone and said she doenst mind if i pay for it myself or end up going through insurance. So that to me doesnt sound like she has claimed.

If she HAS claimed, why havent I been contacted by my insurance company yet. This happened over a month ago now.

Oh, and I am not "holding my hands up" for damage I havent caused.

vaux cavalier
Suggest you actually have a word and find out exactly whats been done....

If she has paid out herself then just maybe she decided to cover the other repairs at the same time to save being off the road at a future date, (may as well have it all done in one go whilst she has a hire car)....it really is good to talk....

neither one of you seem to have covered yourselves, I reckon your both going to be stung somehow....

Youve said shes got her car back now.

No garage/bodyshop is going to just let her walk without paying when she says "this lad at work is going to pay" Her bill is going to be a good few grand at least. Bonnet/bumper/wing/light, plus paint is probably £2k. Another grand for her to pimp about in a Jag for a week.

Call your insurance company, say you havent heard from her and wondered if her insurance had contacted yours. They'll say no I expect.

Her getting it fixed herself is just stupid. Theres no way the insurance company is going to pay. I could say mines been vandalised and needed a full respray. Quick invoice from a mate at the bodyshop and my insurance company give me a £2k cheque? I dont think so.

Shes fucked and will have a huuuuuuuuge bill to fund herself I expect.

306 GTI-6
Its just so weird. She is not a well liked person to be honest, and I would love to not speak to her if I can avoid it. I just dont understand why she hasnt come to me to say anything about it yet.

Especially as we agreed for her to get some quotes for me repairs.

Clio 172
Geordieracer,

What is not in dispute is that you had a blameworthy accident and you have insurance to cover it. You will not be screwed. The worst that can happen is that you will lose any no claims.

If she wants to go via insurance companies, the companies will sort it out between themselves. Insurance companies generally do not fight between each other for normal accidents as they know that they are all in the same game together. It is not in their interest. If it does go via insurance companies, whatever claim she makes is generally nothing for you to worry about. That is what you pay insurance for and that is their problem. Yes, make them aware that you think she's pulling a fast one and it's over to them. The degree of financial loss is their worry, not yours.

Regarding the Jag, that's not your problem and not your worry. Do you know for sure that it's been provided by the repairers. Some garages lend certain customers a decent car because next time they will no doubt go back to them. If it's all subsequently dealt with via insurance companies, that garage will put in a "nice" claim for the use of the car (again not your worry).

I suggest that you speak to her as the matter is obviously concerning you, and ask her if she wants to involve the insurance companies.

If she says Yes, matter is sorted. Just give your insurance details (as you are required by law to do) and contact your insurance company, providing full facts and the possibility that she will declare false facts.

If she offers you the choice, request a copy of the garages invoice and say you'll make a decision later. If the invoice is fair regarding the damage that you've caused, consider paying (not cash, but cheque) and always get a receipt. If the figure is too high for whatever reason just opt to have the insurance companies deal.

Matter dealt with!

306 GTI-6
Thanks for that. Best advice so far. have never had anything to do with insurance other than paying it every year, and the lack of info provided by insurance companies on what happens during a claim is amazing.

B

Bucko

Rather than write a 4 page thread about what might be happening, why don't you just ask her what is going on and clear things up yourself? It's not like you never get a chance to see her...

306 GTI-6
Rather than write a 4 page thread about what might be happening, why don't you just ask her what is going on and clear things up yourself? It's not like you never get a chance to see her...

Dont actually see her that much, as we seem to work different shifts. Our place has people in every day of the week from 8am till 9pm, working 8 hr shifts, so if busy you can quite easily not get a chance to speak to someone.

But I see what you're saying.

B

Bucko

Internal email system? Letter in her pigeon hole? It's not like you bumped into a strangers car in town. You should confront her asap and then maybe you can start sleeping at night. Either that or just stick to the Horlicks ;)

Covered in bird s**t
Maybe the repairs for your damage weren't too expensive and she's footing the bill herself to save any hassle. It's always a possibility:) , if not a strong one.

Clio 182
You need to get in touch with your insurance company and check it all out with them.

Personally, I don't think you'll be held liable to pay anything now. She made the mistake of having the car repaired before the insurers had a chance to look at it, so i'd imagine they'd tell tell her where to go. They really need to assess the damage first and if they can get away with not paying anything, they will!! Any way, like i said, contact them and find out what they say. good luck!!

Clio 172
DO NOT contact your insurance company unless they have to become involved as per the previous instructions!

If you do, just watch your next premium go up (even if they did not pay any money out or get involved).

It's frustrating that the internet makes everybody an expert and most of the advice will send you up the wrong tree!

visualize whirled pe
DO NOT contact your insurance company unless they have to become involved as per the previous instructions!

If you do, just watch your next premium go up (even if they did not pay any money out or get involved).

It's frustrating that the internet makes everybody an expert and most of the advice will send you up the wrong tree!

100%

never volunteer any more information than you legally have to.

You have to provide 'her' with 'your' details, that's all you need to do.