ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Won an auction on eBay, does anyone know the seller and are they legit?

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  Edition 30
My Mrs (under my guidance) just won an eBay auction for a car from Reading and the seller is called “carswithnoreservereading” but they also use the name Sterling Cars.

They have lengthy T&C’s but seen to be well established with 8k feedback score over 97% positive.

I’m in Newark, Nottinghamshire so a fair trek away but nothing silly. I can go see the car and not buy it according to their description.

Does anyone know of or had previous experience with a company like this? This is their spiel off the description.

Our adverts are designed to appeal to those who have knowledge about cars, who can assess what and if any work is needed on a second hand car, and have money in reserve for any repairs and service items. If this does not sound like you then you might want to consider buying your vehicle elsewhere

In a nutshell we are an online auction company, with some key differences to public auction sites like British Car Auctions;

1. We allow unlimited test drives PRIOR to purchase

2. There are no additional buyer’s fees on top, which you would have to incur at public auctions.​

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Trader Rating - 100%
24   0   0
They sell thousands of cars, pretty sure they are straight from bca auction (or similar), so go in with your eyes open. Bargains to be had, but dont expect the car to be perfect, or there to be much in the way of aftersales ... you arent paying fancy showroom money though!!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are BCA pictures being used in the majority of those vehicles. I would imagine (I could check) that some of those cars haven’t even been bought yet! Basically they will be ‘buy now’ vehicles being listed, which will then be bought when someone pays a deposit.

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  Edition 30
They are BCA pictures being used in the majority of those vehicles. I would imagine (I could check) that some of those cars haven’t even been bought yet! Basically they will be ‘buy now’ vehicles being listed, which will then be bought when someone pays a deposit.

Yeah from the negative feedback that's what I gathered. We are gonna pay the £100 deposit tomorrow to hold it I think but I'll PM Cub now.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're selling stuff off BCA couldn't you just go to the BCA auction yourself and buy the car for less?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume public auctions will be back at some point? and this business has been in operation well before they stopped?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Physical auctions will return at some point in the future, but the world has changed significantly (for obvious reasons) the small independent houses have reopened, but for large companies the risks are far too high.

There is nothing wrong with what this company is doing, bit risky and maybe a touch cheeky. It may even be frowned upon by the auction houses...but fair play for trying something different. Also the car the OP bought was not sold from auction house stock. It was/is in the dealers stock

the_baron_von_richthofen

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  2003 Clio 172 Cup
I've been to them before 5 years ago (ish).

When I went you won the car on ebay but you weren't obliged to buy once viewed.

I didnt buy the car I won but they did let me test drive some other things to see if I wanted them, as it happens I didnt.

Some of the cars were pretty tatty but the people that ran it all seemed ok and weren't pushy or anything.