ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would this pass an MOT?

Clio 1.2 16V
Hi all!

Does anyone know if this would pass an MOT?

Cheers!!

15ppljt.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 16V
I do, but its smaller than the other alloys on the car. Its a 14" inch steelie. These are 15". Having a smaller wheel than the rest on would be a failure in itself wouldnt it?

Cheers, Mike!

twingo
I do, but its smaller than the other alloys on the car. Its a 14" inch steelie. These are 15". Having a smaller wheel than the rest on would be a failure in itself wouldnt it?

Cheers, Mike!

no. so long as the rolling circumference is the same. most spares nowadays come with a smaller rim size but the tyre side wall height is increase to compensate

Clio 182
Different size wheel on the same axle is a fail yes so you can't fit the spare. Iv seen wheels fail for cracks but I'm not sure about that. A lot of it is down to the tester themselves but I think they would to cover themselves.

Clio 1.2 16V
Yeah the spare would be 14" and the other on the same axle a normal 15" alloy like that pictured. It looks as if it had previously been filled by some sort of rubber jelly. Might need to put the MOT off until I get a replacement!

twingo
Different size wheel on the same axle is a fail yes so you can't fit the spare. Iv seen wheels fail for cracks but I'm not sure about that. A lot of it is down to the tester themselves but I think they would to cover themselves.

that's not true :) you could have a 13'' rim on one side of the same axle and a 15 on the other side, so long as the rolling circumference is the same. although that's only to be used to emergency situations, it won't be deemed an MOT fail under current rules.

i'm not so sure about the kerbing on the rim itself though, so long as it's holding pressure, no tyre damage and isn't presenting a sharp edge it should pass. most likely an advisory

Clio 182
iv seen them fail at my garage for different rim and different tyre sizes on the same axle. Unless it's changed recently I'm not a tester myself so I don't know all the legislation how would the tester know the rolling circumference? Have to work it out? Or measure it? Iv never seen it done but you could be right.

Clio 1.2 16V
Aye its holding pressure fine, and theres no damage to the tyre itself. Ill maybe have a look to see if theres a cheap spare online that I can pick up easily. I will let you guys know how I get on. Thanks for the info!

twingo
iv seen them fail at my garage for different rim and different tyre sizes on the same axle. Unless it's changed recently I'm not a tester myself so I don't know all the legislation how would the tester know the rolling circumference? Have to work it out? Or measure it? Iv never seen it done but you could be right.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

[h=5]1a. One tyre is of a different nominal size or aspect ratio to any other on the same axle.[/h][h=5]b. Special lightweight or space saving wheels and tyres fitted as road wheels[/h][h=5]Note: Tyres with aspect ratios of 80% and 82% are almost indentical in size and can be safely mixed in any configuration on a vehicle. Where this is done, Reason for Rejection 1 does not apply.[/h][h=5]In all other cases of mixed aspect ratios on the same axle, rejection is justified.[/h]

as long as the sidewall height (aspect ratio in this instance) is approximately the same and results in an identical rolling circumference, it will pass an MOT. for example my twingo comes from factory with 185/55/15's but the spare is 175/65/14. this results in an 0.34% difference in diameter of 2mm. the guidelines are for no more than a +2.5 % difference when using a spare which is sectioned under the constructions and use regulations for motor vehicles :)

if an MOT tester is going to fail it without calculating it then he doesn't know much about tyres and shouldn't be testing in the first place. it's just simple maths lol

Indifferences on the tyre spec on the same axle would be a fail.

4.1a. One tyre is of a different nominal size or aspect ratio to any other on the same axle.

4.1b. Special lightweight or space saving wheels and tyres fitted as road wheels

The only spec difference you can get away with, is they allow 80% profile and 82% profile apparently. Didn't even know an 82% existed.

twingo
Indifferences on the tyre spec on the same axle would be a fail.

4.1a. One tyre is of a different nominal size or aspect ratio to any other on the same axle.

4.1b. Special lightweight or space saving wheels and tyres fitted as road wheels

The only spec difference you can get away with, is they allow 80% profile and 82% profile apparently. Didn't even know an 82% existed.

2% difference in aspect ratio is what this refers to. so as the example i gave shows, the difference is 0.34 % therefore a pass :)

It's referring to the actual aspect ratio not difference in diameter. The aspect ratios on the tyres in your example are 10% different, thus will be a fail. Also they are of differing widths which is also another mot fail.

I don't see mot testers tapping tyre specs into a calculator.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry I don't agree with the comment on tyres it's got to be the same size every way imo otherwise I fail it.
To the op hard seeing a pic but I personally would pass and advise.

That does look like a tasty wedge missing. Disguise it with a wheel weight (joking) I'd leave it to be with the MOT gods and risk it or get a spare rim and get the tyre swapped if it's any good.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Oscar88 you've got the wrong end of the stick with the information you are giving. The 2% you are on about only covers the difference between a tyre marked "--- R--" and a tyre marked "--- 80 R--" The only difference between these two tyres is the first one doesn't state the aspect ratio, which means; [h=5]Unless marked otherwise, “standard” car tyres have a nominal aspect ratio of 82%. Some tyres have an aspect ratio of 80%. These have “/80” included in their size marking eg 165/80 R13.[/h]

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_410.htm

as long as the sidewall height (aspect ratio in this instance) is approximately the same and results in an identical rolling circumference, it will pass an MOT. for example my twingo comes from factory with 185/55/15's but the spare is 175/65/14. this results in an 0.34% difference in diameter of 2mm. the guidelines are for no more than a +2.5 % difference when using a spare which is sectioned under the constructions and use regulations for motor vehicles :)

if an MOT tester is going to fail it without calculating it then he doesn't know much about tyres and shouldn't be testing in the first place. it's just simple maths lol
This made me die as an mot tester it doesn't matter if I can do the math a different sized tyre on the same axial is a fail in the manual we can't write the rules get your facts right

Clio 1.2 16V
Hi guys! Just an update managed to grab another wheel from a scrap yard for £25. Can't be bad to that.

Looked at getting it repaired and was going to cost £40. A second alloy repair company told me they wouldn't attempt to repair it as it would never be as strong as it were originally. Job done.

Thanks!!