ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you bother???

133/225/CLS AMG
Ok, spent a good few hours yesterday cleaning my 225.

Gave it a thorough wash, followed by an hour of me applying carnuba wax and using an orbital buffer to get it all shiny.

Now, the reason I did all that is coz I'm doing a night shift next week and lates the week after so the car won't get used and will sit covered on my driveway.

Trouble was, I covered it yesterday and the damn cover blew up so the left side of the car got rained on. I chamoied (spelling) the car on that side this morning and pulled the cover back down.

Is it worth me giving the car another quick once over and put the cover back on???????

Or am I just being sad and paranoid about my paintwork and should leave the cover as it is at the moment?

Mito Sportiva 135
Totally depends on what you want. Most cars sit all their lives on a drive with no protection at all, the main thing is you have protected with wax (which one did you use?)

If it is freshly waxed and some water has got on there, a wipe over with a microfibre towel and some QD should be fine at removing all water marks and any dust from the rain.

Megane Trophy, Golf
Covers can cause more grief than without one, wind blows em about which can scratch paintwork and the cheaper ones hold condensation in ;)

133/225/CLS AMG
Nice one mate, I've got a day off work tomorrow anyway.

I used Meguiars carnuba wax so pretty good stuff from my experience.

Got a busy day tomorrow, I'm getting my Clio RT back from the bodyshop so gonna be cleaning/waxing that. Also taking the missus Clio 182 over to my place to clean/wax that. Also will give the Megane a quick polish me thinks.

I've got the three stage cleaning thing from Meguiars, paint cleaner, polish then wax.

You reckon it would be a bit pointless putting polish on top of the wax?????

Mito Sportiva 135
Nice one mate, I've got a day off work tomorrow anyway.

I used Meguiars carnuba wax so pretty good stuff from my experience.

Got a busy day tomorrow, I'm getting my Clio RT back from the bodyshop so gonna be cleaning/waxing that. Also taking the missus Clio 182 over to my place to clean/wax that. Also will give the Megane a quick polish me thinks.

I've got the three stage cleaning thing from Meguiars, paint cleaner, polish then wax.

You reckon it would be a bit pointless putting polish on top of the wax?????

A polish will remove any wax, so unless you are planning to reapply everything again, don't bother!

Either top up with a QD or rewax, although you shouldn't need to do this so soon again. However, people quite often build up layers of wax so no harm in doing this if you want to.

133/225/CLS AMG
Brand86 - Might give it a quick blast with Turtle Speedwax, no harm in building up a layer.

The cover itself isn't a cheapo one, it actually says you can put the cover on the car when wet coz apparently it allows evapouration through it. Clever stuff that.

Mito Sportiva 135
Brand86 - Might give it a quick blast with Turtle Speedwax, no harm in building up a layer.

The cover itself isn't a cheapo one, it actually says you can put the cover on the car when wet coz apparently it allows evapouration through it. Clever stuff that.

Yeh more wax should be fine, although never used Speedwax myself, should be ok.

If you want maximum protection, I have to recommend Collinites 476, 2 or 3 coats of that will last you absolutely ages in terms of protection, and then all you need is a nice QD after washing. You can also use other waxes such as P21s or 50/50 for looks if you want. This summer I will be using 50/50 I think, still think it is a great product for the money.

133/225/CLS AMG
I might have to check that out mate.

Speed wax is effectively a quick detailer thats all, really quick application and gives it a really glossy feel. Good for inbetween proper waxes.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeh should be fine then, go for it... although you do realise that as soon as you remove the cover, it will get dirty again?! ;)

133/225/CLS AMG
Yeh should be fine then, go for it... although you do realise that as soon as you remove the cover, it will get dirty again?! ;)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

I'm sure a quick watering can, dry and wax will do it then haha

Mito Sportiva 135
No it is much better in the summer, when you clean your car, you can actually drive around and not have mud plastered up the side, muddy footprints getting in and out, rain when you open the doors, tyre dressing coming off, water marks. Just plenty of UV rays, tree sap, dried on insects and baked on bird poo instead!

In fact...why do we bother at all?!

133/225/CLS AMG
Coz we've got OCD!!! lol

And also my Megane costs me enough so I intend on keeping it as new as possible and making it look as good as possible too. haha.

As well as trying to get my Clio RT up to scratch

Mito Sportiva 135
Coz we've got OCD!!! lol

And also my Megane costs me enough so I intend on keeping it as new as possible and making it look as good as possible too. haha.

As well as trying to get my Clio RT up to scratch

Yeh OCD here too. I just wished it stopped at the car...

My mate is getting a new Meg R26 next month in black so I am looking forward to doing a bit of work on there. Be interesting to see what the paint is like when it is delivered, I have seen some absolute shockers go out "as new" before with swirl marks and holograms a plenty.

133/225/CLS AMG
My Megane arrived spot on but I've heard you get some shockers being sold.

When I got mine I cleaned, polished and waxed it that day. Also Supagarded it but to be honest I'm not sure how good that paint sealant stuff is!!! Can't think it'll last as long as claimed.

I've got my missus 182 to be cleaned up tomorrow as I've got the day off work.

106 GTi
As you already did any of the damage that you could have done IMO by drying the rain water off it without washing first, you may aswell just recover it.

The Megs stage 3 should give you a couple of weeks protection in out door conditions more under a cover.