ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would you :: Could you? Cat D.

Focus ST170
If you were in the market for a 172 and on a limited budget:

Would you consider a Cat D car? *

If not, why not?

* Category D is an insurance write off. Typically, repairs to a Cat D car are rated at more than 60% but less than 100% of the car's current value as a cost to repair.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If repaired correctly and inspected, then yeah. Ok, resale will be lower, but you're saving in the first place.

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
how much is it, and where was the damage, you can tell if they have front damage as the front wheels are never in the correct place

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
nope wouldnt touch most of em never drive the same again

ibiza cupra
depends if it has been repaired properly but as said before you can pick the older ones up dirt cheap now any way so is it worth it

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The problem with repaired cars is that you can never truely trust them.

My wife only had a small crash in hers a little while ago but it has caused on going problems, problems which cannot be spotted in a test drive or check.

Dodgy one
nope

dont kow why it would just really bug me having a cat d

same, I had an accident damaged car it wasn't recorded, I kept it for two years and gave it death throughout i felt it was a bag of s**t and shouldn't have been put back on the road, even though i did enjoy the car, it just annoyed the hell out of me. It was perfectly fine to look at bar one wheel sitting slightly further back in the arch, no one noticed or commented. But i sold it cheaper than book because of what i knew

Mk2 1.2 Campus
I would definately have one, there's no problem and you wouldn't be able to tell as long as they're repaired correctly

I got a cat C 1.2 Dynamique, all that had happened was the bumper got smashed and bonnet bent a little bit. No damage to the underneath and was repaired to as-good-as-new, passed the insurance checks and MOT etc.

Cat D is often something just like a smashed headlight but the insurance would rather write it off than pay out (or something like that). :)

Megane Team II F1 R26
Wouldn't bother me at all, as long as I knew it was a cat c/d would have it checked out and go from there.

To be honest I put all my cars through some hell, even stolen, recovered wouldn't bother me.....

Ph-Sold!
My ph1 was a cat C (rear), fully repaired and certified, paid £3.2k for it with 24k on the clock back in Nov 2006. Buy cheap, enjoy the car, sell cheap!

LY V6 with Recaros
No, purely because I'm really fussy and I couldn't own a car that wasn't completley immaculate, even if it had been repaired well. Would be a pain to sell on!

ITB'd MK1
No, purely because I'm really fussy and I couldn't own a car that wasn't completley immaculate, even if it had been repaired well. Would be a pain to sell on!

if it's all bolt on parts it's no different to modifying though, and in reality a huge amount of brand new cars have already had paint repairs before they even leave the factory, I know a couple of people who've done it as a job.

Punto/Clio GTT
amazes me the amount of uneducated, mis-informed pub talk from some of these replies.

Cat-D "never drive the same again" let me give you some examples of most cat d's

cars that have had brake fluid thrown all over them so theyde need new plastics and full respray - cat d

lock damage, slight door damage, ignition damage - cat d

light panel damage - bumpers/wings/headlights/grilles/tailgates etc - all usually in cat d's

if you go into suspension damage with bent roofs, bent chassis and subframes your onto cat c's.

cat d's are bugger all.