ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Write off and MOT questions

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok my car is a cat c write off and im getting it back on the road.

even if its a cat c do i still need a vosa mot ?

Mondeo TDCI 130
It's not an mot, its a vic check, check the identity of the vehicle! Will need one before they issue a v5 again.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
oh sorry, ok thanks.

best see if i can find a place that does vic's checks then

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Andy; I've done a few repaired cars and this is what I do...

The car (once repaired-ish, they really aren't fussy! lol) needs to go to your local DVLA for a VIC. They won't inspect the repair or be worried about how safe the car is, they just want to make sure you haven't welded two cars together or you haven't re-plated a stolen car.

They will need to do this before they send you a new V5. When the new one comes through, in the bottom left hand corner of the front page it will state that the car has been substantially damaged and repaired.

Any garage with an MOT license can MOT it.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok so once repaired i need to take for a vic.

the car currently has and mot is only 2 months old. do i need another as its been written off?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I can't answer that mate as by the time I finish any of mine the mot's have normally ran out! lol.

172 ph1, r5, clio16v
Its usually the insurance company that requests that the car is re mot'd. You can have the car tested at any MOT station as every MOT station has to test to exactly the same standards.
Then you will need to go to your local vosa test centre pay for your vic in advance and book in. Waiting lists can be up to 3 months however if you agree you will accept a cancellation you usually get a call within a few days to say there is a cancellation slot available within a week or two. Make sure you get there on time as if your late they keep the test fee and you have to pay again and rebook.
Technically you shouldnt be driving your car to the vosa station as your insurance is void. So ideally recover it or trailer it for its vic.
VIC check is just a check that the vin numbers all match up and have not been tampered with none of the repairs will even be inspected. You can actually take a car for a vic whilst still damaged as long as it will drive there!
Its basically a vosa money spinner supposedly to prevent write offs being used to ring stolen cars.
From there you will be issued with a VIC test pass certificate (assuming you haven't ringed the car!!) which you can send off to the dvla and they will issue a new log book. Once the log book has arrived and the MOT is passed you can tax it and eventually put the car back on the road! This can sometimes take months!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
this is what im lost on

the car has a valid MOT, its only 2 months old.

But I *think* that once the insurance declare it written off, that all documentation regarding the car will be invalid.

If you only MOT'd it 2 months ago it should piss through another one so for the sake of £40 just have it done again.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Its usually the insurance company that requests that the car is re mot'd. You can have the car tested at any MOT station as every MOT station has to test to exactly the same standards.
Then you will need to go to your local vosa test centre pay for your vic in advance and book in. Waiting lists can be up to 3 months however if you agree you will accept a cancellation you usually get a call within a few days to say there is a cancellation slot available within a week or two. Make sure you get there on time as if your late they keep the test fee and you have to pay again and rebook.
Technically you shouldnt be driving your car to the vosa station as your insurance is void. So ideally recover it or trailer it for its vic.
VIC check is just a check that the vin numbers all match up and have not been tampered with none of the repairs will even be inspected. You can actually take a car for a vic whilst still damaged as long as it will drive there!
Its basically a vosa money spinner supposedly to prevent write offs being used to ring stolen cars.
From there you will be issued with a VIC test pass certificate (assuming you haven't ringed the car!!) which you can send off to the dvla and they will issue a new log book. Once the log book has arrived and the MOT is passed you can tax it and eventually put the car back on the road! This can sometimes take months!!

ok that makes sense.

but getting to a vosa test centre will be a big issue if im not suppose to drive it.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
some more advice please.

the 182 has been repaired and im collecting tonight.

i have tax, mot and insurance for the car - all valid. so whats to stop me driving the car? i have requested a vic check (am still waiting for a time and date etc). but i will be getting that done

i have a v5 as no one has asked for the existing one back?

so if i drive the car and get stopped by the police well i have valid tax mot and insurance?

i phoned vosa regarding if i need a new mot and he said only if the insurance company ask for it. which is bull as its not up to the insuance company etc... i tried to explain i have one and the cars been written off and he said only if the insurance company request a new one. did insurance online last night and guess what they didnt ask for a new one.

advice?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Right, the car needs a mot on it regardless as the original is invalid. To drive the car for a vic check you need a valid mot and the car needs to be insured. You are allowed to drive it for a vic check without it being taxed but it must go to the vosa station and then back home once the check is carried out.

The vic check fee includes the cost of a new v5 as well so the one you have is no good. The reason you get a new one is because they add on to the v5 that the vehicle has been written off. By law you have to declare it if you sell it as well.

If you go online you can check to see if your car has a "marker" on it. If it has this it needs a vic check.

Right, the car needs a mot on it regardless as the original is invalid. To drive the car for a vic check you need a valid mot and the car needs to be insured. You are allowed to drive it for a vic check without it being taxed but it must go to the vosa station and then back home once the check is carried out.

The vic check fee includes the cost of a new v5 as well so the one you have is no good. The reason you get a new one is because they add on to the v5 that the vehicle has been written off. By law you have to declare it if you sell it as well.

If you go online you can check to see if your car has a "marker" on it. If it has this it needs a vic check.

As a private seller, you have to tell them if they ask. But that's it.