ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

www.elephant.co.uk

loads of people on here have said they are cheap. im 20 years of age and they just quoted me 9 - YES £9,000 a year to insure my 172 Sport

someone on here has said they are 19, have their own insurance and insure a 172 Sport for £1,800. is this true?

The Beast MK4

Wow £9000.:eek:

Thats the biggest quote ive ever heard anyone get. Keep looking mate because the prices can only get better than that.

but does a years no claims equate to a £7,200 discount? lol

when im 21 i should be able to get insured on near enough anything, if not then i only have one alternative

Quote: Originally posted by ant_oneill on 20 January 2005

when im 21 i should be able to get insured on near enough anything, if not then i only have one alternative

yea only if your willing to pay stupid amounts on insurance ull get insured on anything at 21!

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 20 January 2005

yea only if your willing to pay stupid amounts on insurance ull get insured on anything at 21!

im already paying £3,600 a year it cant get much worse!!

Quote: Originally posted by benclelland on 20 January 2005
Try http://www.confused.comwww.confused.com you get quotes from loads of people fairly quickly.

cheers mate but already tried it

no one will insure me. more<than say i need to be 21

you a convicted car theif, made 5 claims and have 3 convictions or something mate? cant see how its so high..

Quote: Originally posted by rusty on 20 January 2005
you a convicted car theif, made 5 claims and have 3 convictions or something mate? cant see how its so high..

thats what im thinking. im 20 and have been driving nearly 2 years now. never had my own insurance (always been on mums). ive got 3 points on my license for speeding and i live in a fairly quiet, nice area.

i dont understand it at all but every company seems to say the same.

VaVa

Im sorry, but what do you expect trying to insure a group 16 car at 20?? With a speeding fine and never having had your own insurance!!!??? What did you expect??!! lmfao!!!

Do you think driving for nearly 2 whole years classes you as being an experienced driver??

You must be mad. I would never part with that much cash for insurance out of principle. Insurance is a f**king rip off and its young lads in fast cars like that push everyones premiums up because they cant handle a fast car and write it off in a week whilst showing off to their mates. c**ts. (not aimed at anyone specifically)

Do you live in the Bronx or something?? £9000 is beyond a joke. Im 24 with 2 years no claims and mine is £600 fully comp on a 53 plate 172!!!

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 20 January 2005 at 7:34pm]

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 20 January 2005 at 7:35pm]

im 20, buying a 172 in March, just got a quote from Admiral (my first quote) which was £1600 full comp all mods declared too.

Like i said its my first quote, so im hoping for 1500 all in.

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 20 January 2005
Im sorry, but what do you expect trying to insure a group 16 car at 20?? With a speeding fine and never having had your own insurance!!!??? What did you expect??!! lmfao!!!Do you think driving for nearly 2 whole years classes you as being an experienced driver??You must be mad. I would never part with that much cash for insurance out of principle. Insurance is a f**king rip off and its young lads in fast cars like that push everyones premiums up because they cant handle a fast car and write it off in a week whilst showing off to their mates. c**ts. (not aimed at anyone specifically)Do you live in the Bronx or something?? £9000 is beyond a joke. Im 24 with 2 years no claims and mine is £600 fully comp on a 53 plate 172!!!

well i dont drive quick and i have never even nearly had any kind of accident - ever. im just a young car enthusiast who likes a powerful car for the B roads without having to break the speed limit. is it a crime to do that?

just because im young it doesnt mean im not a good driver. im sure there are people much older with much lower premiums than me who hammer their car around and are much more dangerous.

so i shouldnt be able to have a 172 sport because ive only been driving for 2 years?

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 20 January 2005
im 20, buying a 172 in March, just got a quote from Admiral (my first quote) which was £1600 full comp all mods declared too. <FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">Like i said its my first quote, so im hoping for 1500 all in.

you got the name of the person you were speaking to at admiral mate? ill give them a ring.

VaVa

Im sorry, but what do you expect trying to insure a group 16 car at 20?? With a speeding fine and never having had your own insurance!!!??? What did you expect??!! lmfao!!!

Do you think driving for nearly 2 whole years classes you as being an experienced driver??

You must be mad. I would never part with that much cash for insurance out of principle. Insurance is a f**king rip off and its young lads in fast cars like that push everyones premiums up because they cant handle a fast car and write it off in a week whilst showing off to their mates. c**ts. (not aimed at anyone specifically)

Do you live in the Bronx or something?? £9000 is beyond a joke. Im 24 with 2 years no claims and mine is £600 fully comp on a 53 plate 172!!!

well i dont drive quick and i have never even nearly had any kind of accident - ever. im just a young car enthusiast who likes a powerful car for the B roads without having to break the speed limit. is it a crime to do that?

just because im young it doesnt mean im not a good driver. im sure there are people much older with much lower premiums than me who hammer their car around and are much more dangerous.

so i shouldnt be able to have a 172 sport because ive only been driving for 2 years?
I said not aimed at anyone in particular. Im not disputing whether or not your a good driver, the cold facts show that young lads under 21 are ten time more likely to crash their car and generally drive like a tw*t than any other age group. Thats why insurance premiums for lads your age is so high. I had to suffer high insurance when I was your age because of the way other people my age drive. Its all about maturity imho which is something most lads your age dont have a lot of.

Oh and by the way, 2 years driving experience is f**k all. What car(s) did you have previous to your 172?

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 20 January 2005 at 7:58pm]

Quote: Originally posted by ant_oneill on 20 January 2005 Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 20 January 2005 Im sorry, but what do you expect trying to insure a group 16 car at 20?? With a speeding fine and never having had your own insurance!!!??? What did you expect??!! lmfao!!!Do you think driving for nearly 2 whole years classes you as being an experienced driver??You must be mad. I would never part with that much cash for insurance out of principle. Insurance is a f**king rip off and its young lads in fast cars like that push everyones premiums up because they cant handle a fast car and write it off in a week whilst showing off to their mates. c**ts. (not aimed at anyone specifically)Do you live in the Bronx or something?? £9000 is beyond a joke. Im 24 with 2 years no claims and mine is £600 fully comp on a 53 plate 172!!!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]I said not aimed at anyone in particular. Im not disputing whether or not your a good driver, the cold facts show that young lads under 21 are ten time more likely to crash their car and generally drive like a tw*t than any other age group. Thats why insurance premiums for lads your age is so high. I had to suffer high insurance when I was your age because of the way other people my age drive. Its all about maturity imho which is something most lads your age dont have a lot of.Oh and by the way, 2 years driving experience is f**k all. What car(s) did you have previous to your 172?

[Edited by lagerlout1 on 20 January 2005 at 7:58pm]

i had a ford ka to begin with, then i got a saxo vtr, then i had a crx del sol vti, then i got the clio 172. always had astronomical premiums, which is a shame because if insurance werent such a problem, id have something a lot better now.

VaVa

Thats probably true for most lads your age. It was the same for me too. I just get the feeling your asking for a lot to get anything resembling a reasonoble quote on a group 16 car when youve never had your own insurance and youve been driving less than two years. You should have got your own insurance from day one - youd be a lot better off now if youd had your own insurance for a couple of years and 2 yrs NCD....

Oh, and if your an extra responsible driver who is, and I quote, "... just a young car enthusiast who likes a powerful car for the B roads without having to break the speed limit...." How come youve got three points on your license for excessive speed?;)

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #407db6">Thats probably true for most lads your age. It was the same for me too. I just get the feeling your asking for a lot to get anything resembling a reasonoble quote on a group 16 car when youve never had your own insurance and youve been driving less than two years. You should have got your own insurance from day one - youd be a lot better off now if youd had your own insurance for a couple of years and 2 yrs NCD....Oh, and if your an extra responsible driver who is, and I quote, "... just a young car enthusiast who likes a powerful car for the B roads without having to break the speed limit...." How come youve got three points on your license for excessive speed?;)

lol. ill admit when i had a clean license i wasnt worried about getting caught speeding but since i got the points a year ago i dont break the speed limit at all. its a nice way to drive when you get used to it!!

Im the guy thats 19....and its a 182...

i got the car when i was 18....before i checked the insurance (had to have the car then and their)

So i paid £3500 for my first year with elephant fully comp (they would ONLY do fully comp, Nothing else)

Now im renewing my policy and its £1800...with the 1yr nc.....(fully comp again, as thats all they would offer)

I live in a glasgow postcode (G44) which is not the best....

I was shocked at my first years £3500 (WHICH i believe to be quite cheap concidering i could have destroyed a £14,000 car at the time....) All other places offered me 8-16 grand...

I was lucky and grabbed the chance... THANKYOU ELEPHANT...!!

[Edited by Kiev85 on 20 January 2005 at 11:05pm]

The reason that its so high is exactly the reasons lagerlout1 point out, I wouldnt have put it quite so bluntly but unfortunately hes right. Just because you say youre a good driver isnt enough for an insurance company, they look at others in your situation, look at the stats and then make a judgement from that.

Bloody hell!!

You have got to be absolutely joking! I thought $2200 Aussie (about 900 pounds) was bad for a 19 year old on a 172 who has had his licence all of a week!!

I guess you guys have cars a damn sight cheaper though.

Have you had a look at any smaller companies or companies that cater to young drivers of modified/hi-po cars? Otherwise, I know over here you can reduce your premium by about 20% through some insurers by doing a defensive driving course.

9000 quid seems absolutely atronomical though :(

cock mobile.

Elephant were a rip off for me too (over 4k), Im 22 with 1 years no claim bonus and driving since I was 17.

Try direct line and tescos they were the cheapest quotes I got.

LY 200

Well theyre chepest for me on the Valver but theyl f**k you over on the online quotes!!!

If youve been quoted 9k youl probs end up having to pay a few hundred quid more than that if you were to take it up!!!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

im 21 and will have 1 years NCB, i also have 6 points, they quoted me TPFT £828.40 on a valver, i thought that was quite good, it has since been beaten by highway though at £816.00, i still need to ring around some more though.

R.I.P 182

Diamond were cheapest for me for a while, but elephant just beat them by £100 lol.. £1387 they are asking to insure me on a 105+ ZR (1.4), and £1135.80 for a clio 1.4..

BMW 328 Ci

I got a quote for next year on a 182 and will have 2 years NCB (touch wood) on Elephant. I will be 20 years old. It came out as £2000. Its all about the points and no NCB.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Quote: Originally posted by JayR on 21 January 2005

But diamonds for girls!!!

Dont fink many of us will pass as a chick!!!
I had a policy through diamond!!

I even called them to check it was allowed!

Just coz they say they are "designed for women" doesnt mean they can discriminate.

Quote: Originally posted by Jonaldinho on 20 January 2005

Wow £9000.:eek:

Thats the biggest quote ive ever heard anyone get. Keep looking mate because the prices can only get better than that.

I kid u not, I have got a quote for £13,755 for my clio 1.6 dynamique, under my mums name! I dont know how they arrived at this figure.