ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

X-Com: Enemy Within

Mito Sportiva 135
So with the promise of shiny next gen consoles upon us, it is perhaps surprising that my favourite game of the year is an expansion to a 2012 turn based squad based strategy game? Well...it is! I already owned Enemy Unknown and this is basically a remix of that game, but with all the DLC and some new changes, units and upgrades.

However I can safely say that if there is any justice then this will be game of the year.

Has anyone else got it? If you like strategic games or maybe just a bit sick of FPS, racers and FIFA then I thoroughly encourage you to try this game!

Incidentally I also have Enemy Unknown for sale for £10 if anyone is interested. PM me if so.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got it - not played it yet though!

Stupidly, I lost my saved game so it will be a brand new start for me. Do you know if it adds new features right from the beginning, or only from a certain point in the game?

D.

Mito Sportiva 135
Don't worry - you have to start a new game anyway as it changes the whole Enemy Within game to an extent (e.g. different character upgrade trees) so no worries there.

The new changes are introduced from the get go but quite subtle things at first.

I started the game on Classic difficulty but then about 10 hours in I realised I had the 'roulette training' setting which means each soldier gets a choice of random upgrades when you get promoted - which was rubbish! So I started again on normal difficulty and almost back to where I was after 2 hours! It's quite easy on normal though (especially the second half, the final level is trivial to complete and the 'boss' can be killed easily in 1 turn!)

Still to get my first mech, which is what I am after! Might start again on classic then, once I know how the mechs and implants handle.

Such a great game though - and multiplayer done well on this could be amazing (obviously with strict time limits though!)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Ah - I'm glad you mentioned that roulette option. I was planning to tick all the boxes for random damage, etc. Are you saying this isn't a good thing to do then? :)

Cheers,
D.

Mito Sportiva 135
As I said in the PM Darren, no it is not! (not for my first playthrough on the new game anyway!)

I ended up with a sniper with 3x medikits and a support unit with no medical upgrades...I was happy to start again though and on normal difficulty as I just want to fly through the game and see what all the new tech is about.

Loving all the new armour types (e.g. different looks for existing armours). Should get the mechs soon too!

Mito Sportiva 135
How are you getting on with this, Darren? I've found the new Mecs have massively changed how I play - as I can push forward a lot quicker than in the original. I have also really enjoyed the new special missions - the base defence mission was great and quite challenging, took a bit of thought how to do that but was satisfying to finish it without losing any of my key soldiers.

Still would like to see a few more enemies though in late game, and still yearning for more upgrades as find once soldiers become colonel and you have them in a good armour with plasma weapons there's not much more to do with them. Yes there are the gene mods now but they're really expensive in late game, as there's not as much meld floating about.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
How are you getting on with this, Darren? I've found the new Mecs have massively changed how I play - as I can push forward a lot quicker than in the original. I have also really enjoyed the new special missions - the base defence mission was great and quite challenging, took a bit of thought how to do that but was satisfying to finish it without losing any of my key soldiers.

Still would like to see a few more enemies though in late game, and still yearning for more upgrades as find once soldiers become colonel and you have them in a good armour with plasma weapons there's not much more to do with them. Yes there are the gene mods now but they're really expensive in late game, as there's not as much meld floating about.

Sorry m8 - the majority of spare time I've had has been with the love/hate relationship that I have with BF4 :) It's definitely on my list to retry and tbh, they've got so many things right with the latest incarnation of XCOM - that there's no way they won't develop it more. I've even contemplated spending the £13.99 or whatever it's priced on the iPhone.

D.

Mito Sportiva 135
It's such a great game, there is so much more they could do with it though and I would keep buying it. Everyone complains about generic FPS yearly updates yet still buy them, whilst X-Com is quietly loved by many 'core' gamers. I hope it doesn't sound elitist when I say that, but Firaxis have won several awards for this game and seem to genuinely listen to what fans want.

A next gen version of this would encourage me to buy a new console ASAP...more enemies, more upgrades, more building options, more armour types would be great. Improved air combat is the area calling out most for improvement - not very tactical at the moment is it?!?

Well crack on with it Darren and let me know how you get on. It's my favourite game of 2013, followed by Dragon's Dogma and then probably Bioshock Infinite.