ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon Lights Debate

Fabia vRS
Are they worth it? thinkin on getting some but they're really expensive and push my budget to the limit.

Are they worth it for a pair of lights.

Whats the best equivalent? (doesnt have to legal) Aftermarket HIDs or some simple rally headlight bulbs from my local car accesories store?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Definitely worth it, imo...

They look the nuts. I can't imagine ever having a car without them now. Nothing better than when they come on automatically and you see that blue, whitish light reflecting off the car in front.

D.

Fabia vRS
yeah they're so tempting, how much better are they than your aftermarket bulbs? is there loadsa difference?

BMW M135i
Darren S said:
Definitely worth it, imo...

They look the nuts. I can't imagine ever having a car without them now. Nothing better than when they come on automatically and you see that blue, whitish light reflecting off the car in front.

D.

Can't agree more, managed to get a bargain on some 182 lights to fit to my dynamique and there the best mod i've done so far just for the way they look. Some much brighter than normal halogen lights and the cool way they start and fade up is ace too.

LY V6 with Recaros
I love the way they 'ping' when you turn them on and you can see the blue reflecting on things, they look very sexy! :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
No mate the mk1's dont have xenons.
If you can get a cheap set then go for it.Dont know if i'd fancy paying tonnes for some though

ian

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Definitely worth having , the standard units light the road up very well , too well sometimes , lots of people flash you in the opposite direction thinking you have your main beam on , lol .

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I have never really got on with Xenons, i have driven numerouse cars with them, and even though the are bright the beam pattern is useless and adjusting them can be a real pain.

I personally when i got my Trophy went out and spent £60 on a full set of PIAA bulbs which i feel give a much better beam pattern and the distance that they cover, compared to Xenons is far better. IMO you can get a similar light from using high quality bulbs and save yourself a wedge of cash.

Its down to personal choice.

Steve

defo make such a difference on the road plus with the added factor or looking amazing!! the auto system for on and off is really really a good idea

ive bought a 8000k HID conversion kit from america years ago when they wer eonly out on high end merc and audis and it was great, cost £180

then i got the clio 182.. lights were ok

now ive just ordered a 5000k conversion kit for my new car from hong kong.. £92

gonna be fitting them in a couple of weeks.

for the record.. the blue 'flash' you see reflecting back is actually the projector lense not the colour of the HID light..

hence why even nissan primeras/fiat puntos etc all flicker blue but they still have a yellow halogen light in them.

Mégane RS
Xenons worth every penny, best mod i've done

CIMG5306Medium.jpg

406 passion wagon..
Guy said:
ive bought a 8000k HID conversion kit from america years ago when they wer eonly out on high end merc and audis and it was great, cost £180

then i got the clio 182.. lights were ok

now ive just ordered a 5000k conversion kit for my new car from hong kong.. £92

gonna be fitting them in a couple of weeks.

Do you have a website to get these from?? Have been interested in doing this for ages!!

Megane225FF
taken from a french website.. comparing normal clio headlights to xenon's..

Last edited:

al

ST on the way...
They are bright in the short area they cover but standard lights do go further.

Arctic blue 182
I wouldn't part with my xenons because they look so great around town, but agree with others that the beam pattern of normal lamps is much better. The xenons do a crap job of lighting road signs etc and I often find myself putting full beams on where I wouldn't have done in other cars.
Dave

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
There are two issues with lights. The amount of light the globe puts out, and where the reflector/lense directs it.

I have to agree with everyone in this thread who doesn't like the "projector" type low beams in Clio Sports.

They put out lots of light. But they don't illuminate what you need to see. You can see every detail of the road surface in front of you. But you can't see street signs or road signs or reflectors on the backs of bicycles. Too much emphasis has been put on preventing glare to oncoming vehicles, and too little to actually seeing things you need to see. We have a great road here called the Great Ocean Road. Its twisty and tight and should be great in something like a Clio Sport. But I made the mistake of driving after sunset and I ended holding up the people behind me because I had to run on low beam because of the amount of oncoming traffic, and the damn stupid low beams on the Clio Sport weren't illuminating the advisory speed signs. I had to drive on what I could see from the lights of the cars behind me.

If I had my choice I'd have old-style reflectors fitted with HID globes.

Exige S1 + Honda S1
dont buy them, they will go pop in a months time and produce less light than normal halogens, they just look blue.

philthy said:
dont buy them, they will go pop in a months time and produce less light than normal halogens, they just look blue.

well thats wrong but never mind lol the bulbs usually have a lifetime of a few years on them i have never had a xenon bulb go usually its the electrics behind them that fail

mk1 ph1 1.4 RT
Looking blue is fine, I'm not buying HIDs... and it says they're brighter than normal halogens... basically, can I go wrong anywhere, like by buying something that's going to explode backwards and shoot through my engine?

Mégane RS
silverjonny said:
Looking blue is fine, I'm not buying HIDs... and it says they're brighter than normal halogens... basically, can I go wrong anywhere, like by buying something that's going to explode backwards and shoot through my engine?

Just get some Osram Cool blues or philips blue vision, i wouldnt go buying those cheap jap bulbs

Mégane RS
McBunny said:
well thats wrong but never mind lol the bulbs usually have a lifetime of a few years on them i have never had a xenon bulb go usually its the electrics behind them that fail

Yeah mosty electrics that fail first, my bulbs went very dim as the gas was used/burnt

i've heard of them exploding when people touched the glass

Polo + Micra
osram silver stars

get a bit of fuction over form. you wouldn't get a lock on your front door that looked great but as useful a chocolate fire guard;)

also one anal note. there lamps not bulbs:eek: