ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenon Questions...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm sorting out my lighting issue tomorrow and could do with a few pointers.

First of all, I'll be taking the bumper off... is this the easiest and safest way? I imagine it's possible without doing it, but tight for space?

My light went totally pink on Monday, then dull blue later that night, then finally died on Tuesday morning. It will come on when I first flick the lights on, but then immediately go out. Even when it comes on for that brief moment, it's not even nearly as bright as the offside light, which is working perfectly.

So, my question is... can I swap the bulbs easily? How do they come out of the housing?

I'll swap the "bad" bulb into the good side, then if the bulb works, I know it's a bad ballast on the bad side. If it doesn't work, I know it's the bulb. Simples?

Thanks.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I gather its the same HB3 from the Phase 1 172?

As said its do able but tight, lots of swearing.

Careful when you remove the clip from the plastic housing its prone to snapping :(

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
No. They're HID. Longer tube and filament. Charge pack on the rear.

D2S HID. Made by Phillips or Osram.

Bumder With A Buffer
Bumper off. Makes it easier. I have midget hands and I cant do it correctly without taking the bumper off.

Bumder With A Buffer
Im guessing you have never done it before either??

First you have to take the plastic cover off the back. Then twist the charge pack off...then unscrew a collet that is holding the D2S/D2R in place.

That bit is easy.

Its the reverse that is the problem as when you put the new bulb in and go to put the collet on, the bulb wants to fall out as the headlight is at an angle.

I can do my passenger side okay but drivers...big no-no. Aircon pipes etc are in the way :(

I can have the bumper off in 10 minutes though and personally id go that route as it makes things soooo much easier.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Perfect advice mate. Yeah, I'll whip the bumper off. Like you say, it's a ten minute job.

Are 182's D2S?

I'm going for a pair of OEM Phillips replacements.

Yep, D2S.

Just make sure when you're refitting to put the starter pack back on the bulb and twist it before plugging the green wire back in, instead of sitting swearing at it for 20 mins like I did the first time wondering why it wouldn't turn.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
LOL.

I've heard that it's the starter, rather than the bulb that normally fails.

Have you guys replaced bulbs or starters?

Bumder With A Buffer
Bulbs my little hobbit friend. I have gone through 2 sets (1 original and one aftermarket £19.99 or something a set...get what you pay for!!)

I bought some cheap white ones (6800k I think) "sometimes" one of them doesnt turn on and I thought great thats a starter (as they were new) but i swapped them over and the fault went with the bulb.

Its odd...turn the lights on and start the car = fine, turn them off again and the f**ker dont want to turn on for about 20 on/off cycles! CNUT!!!!!!!!

D2S should be in the 182's as thats whats in my 172.

Also technically you can fit a D2R in there BUT D2S is for a projector/ellipsoidal housing.. D2R is for a reflector(free-form) housing. Hence why we have Ds2's. I currently have D2R's in mine and its fine.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You are my hero.

Thread: Done.

I'm sticking with OEM because I don't want it to look all "HID's y0" if you get me (blud)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I feel 5% responsible, i'll pm you my number and you can put me on speakerphone for some motivational chants while you work.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Thing is, when it wouldn't come on... I actually called you a c*nt out loud. lol.

I was going to film it, but I didn't want to throw my iPhone.

Also... I hit the starter pack pretty hard. Will this effect it's functions now? I blame Tom, to the tune of 95%.

Bumder With A Buffer
Shouldnt of done the starter any damage...its fairly sturdy (sp??) only thing you could of done is damaged the bulb more but I doubt that! Mines been dropped from waist height and survived so a little tap from a hobbit should be fine ;) :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
LOL. Good stuff mate. I'll order the bulbs now then.

Going for OEM's with a "Cool Blue" tinge. As their site says the standard replacements are pure white. I want a little blue.

5000k though, so not OTT. OEM are 4300k.

Bumder With A Buffer
LOL. Good stuff mate. I'll order the bulbs now then.

Going for OEM's with a "Cool Blue" tinge. As their site says the standard replacements are pure white. I want a little blue.

5000k though, so not OTT. OEM are 4300k.

Where are you ordering from??

Italian 3.2 V6
yea this happened with my old 172, bumper off swapped bulbs, found out it was one of the ballast units.

got one 2nd hand off hear for £50 (£160 each new iirc) and been like new since.

PSJ.

Bumder With A Buffer
I almost said dont as thats where I got mine from that went after about a month but I used hids-direct.

Latest I got off ebay 4300K ones for £5.70 delivered :) Brand new in box never fitted...bargain.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I have a brand new starter off a Modus (D2S). It'll fit the bulb 100%, you'd have to check where it plugs into the ballast on yours for the plug incase its different...... Just a heads up :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Just taken it all to bits.

Turns out that it's the bulb that's gone bad, the charge pack is fine. Phew.

They're awkward to get out though, even with the bumper and headlight out.

Will order from hidsdirect now. Going to buy two, so the colours match.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, I'd rather do it properly. I have skinny hands, but I'd struggle getting it seated with the headlight in situ.

Bumder With A Buffer
Thats the issue I think. Getting them out is do-able but putting the collet back on whilst holding the bulb in place is a right mission IMO!!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, soooooooooo fiddly!

Had to hold the whole lamp between my legs on the floor, so it sits straight.

Bumder With A Buffer
Glad it was just a bulb though hey?! I'd rather spend £20 on a set of bulbs then pay out for a ballast or starter that's for sure!!!!

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I have same problems going to go whip out my lights now to check and see. Hope mine are the same :)