ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xenons

CB600FS
120 in a DCI...has it had an F4R conversion??

On the clock that is, plus see Eddes video.

I almost cry when people think diesels are as slow as they are, just for refrence we share the same gearbox so I don't see a problem.

Last edited:
  BMW M3
Getting into three figure is starting to require alot more BHP and not so much to do with gear ratios.

The drag at though speeds requires so much more power to accelerate then you would think and hence why only more powerful cars can do it.

I dont know what DCIs can do, ive never driven one so cant actuallly comment.

CB600FS
Theres no point talking BHP with Diesels, thats saying a 1.2 16V is just as quick as one. Top end isn't just BHP either, torque comes into it aswell. Don't forget 135 lb/sf is a lot of torque for small car, and to be brutal, its not that far behind 172 figures.

I forgot everyone on here knows loads about cars they've never driven, keep looking at your book times ;) I'm not saying DCIs are a monster, but they don't want to stop pulling until your starting to come to the end of 5th. As said thats on the clock aswell, so thats about 110 mph?

ST
120 in a DCI...has it had an F4R conversion??

I almost cry when people think diesels are as slow as they are, just for refrence we share the same gearbox so I don't see a problem.

I'm not anti diesel i jus think its pointless driving a diesel hard when the clio DCi in particular was never meant to be a performance diesel.

Though there are performance diesels out there, for example the Seat FR diesels, the fabie VRS, the bmw diesels etc.

The DCi may share the same gearbox as my 182 but thats really where the mechanical similarities end.

The 182 is what 6.9 to 60.

The DCi is?

BMW M4; S1000 RR

I'm not anti diesel i jus think its pointless driving a diesel hard when the clio DCi in particular was never meant to be a performance diesel.

Though there are performance diesels out there, for example the Seat FR diesels, the fabie VRS, the bmw diesels etc.

The DCi may share the same gearbox as my 182 but thats really where the mechanical similarities end.

The DCi is?

Standard 80 is just a tad over 10 seconds I think.

DCI wasn't meant to be, and ISNT a performance orientated diesel, but then again the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 aren't performance cars either, they're just standard clios with different engines. It's how you drive them, and Clios are pretty well put together for such little money.

ST

The DCi is?

Standard 80 is just a tad over 10 seconds I think.

DCI wasn't meant to be, and ISNT a performance orientated diesel, but then again the 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 aren't performance cars either, they're just standard clios with different engines. It's how you drive them, and Clios are pretty well put together for such little money.

Burgandy 174 sport t
dci 65 will never get anywhere near 120 I had one 5 yrs ago and after 100 it retty much just made more noise. dont know how much better the 80 was

BMW M4; S1000 RR
dci 65 will never get anywhere near 120 I had one 5 yrs ago and after 100 it retty much just made more noise. dont know how much better the 80 was

A big point is the intercooler. But still the 65 should trundle up to redline eventually. Diesels don't tend to get thrashed about so unless you buy new, you really have to work them to get them to wear in properly.

ST
Theres not much adjusment you can do to move them, they have self levelers but sometimes they aren't as quick to react when going over back roads or along a bumpy section of motorway for that matter..

i find this defo mate, they really move out of the way and if im not overtaking and move into the middle lane with them, they move into the slow lane at the next opportunity!!

jamie

Vee dub
I've had a few people flash me but I just smile or give them a blast of full beam lol.

The vision from them is immense... they look quality too. I think the VW Lupo gti xenons are alot brighter than alot of I've seen on other manufacturers.

I only have mine on when it's pissing down and quite dull or at night... xenons in the day = ghey.

ST
Yep they are to adjust the height IIRC...i tried it before in my garage, sort of used the lines on the garage door to get the height of both sides the same...

ST
I've had a few people flash me but I just smile or give them a blast of full beam lol.

The vision from them is immense... they look quality too. I think the VW Lupo gti xenons are alot brighter than alot of I've seen on toher manufacturers.

I only have mine on when it's pissing down and quite dull or at night... xenons in the day = ghey.

Indeed sir...

Da

Less
Lowered cars will be pointing down at the road so shouldn't be blinding people, lol! The levels on an un-modded car are factory set to legal levels surely?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Lowered cars will be pointing down at the road so shouldn't be blinding people, lol! The levels on an un-modded car are factory set to legal levels surely?

Yes but when people "slam they rides" the rear usually goes down more than the front goes down to make the car level (and handle badly) which would surely point them up?:approve:

The vision from them is immense... they look quality too. I think the VW Lupo gti xenons are alot brighter than alot of I've seen on toher manufacturers.

if it makes me more visible to other road users then im ghey ;) lol

jamie

said in non pi55y way, seems to be a lot of antibanter on the forum atm so just thought i would clarify ;)

Da

Less
They re-set automatically if you adjust them manually with the engine switched off iirc.

Vee dub

Indeed sir...

knowsit Al

Vengey invented the xenon.... he's got red versions on his new chariot

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
^ when i switch mine on and im facing down hill they will move up and vice versa ?

Da

Less

Yes but when people "slam they rides" the rear usually goes down more than the front goes down to make the car level (and handle badly) which would surely point them up?:approve:

Nope, as the rear 'sits down' lower the auto leveller assumes the car's rear is fully laden so it automatically points the beam of the HID down. Hence if you lower the front aswell your beam pattern is about 2m infront of your bumper :rasp:

CB600FS

The DCi is?

Yeah I see your point Alan, as I said, I'm not saying the DCI is a rocketship, but for what it is, an 80 bhp diesel, it is quick.

Erm, just to be pedantic. Doesn't the diesel use the JB3 box like the 1.6 and the RS the JC5?

65Bhp uses the JB3, 80 JC5, 100 JR5.

ST
Yeah Ross they do mate...

In clios without xenons theres a little wheel to the right of the steering wheel that lets you control the level of light when travelling with extra passengers or luggage, clios and any other cars with xenons have self leveling ballast to control the height of the light.

Last edited:
  BMW M3
I was driving back home just now and was thinking about this thread when i saw peoples xenons and made a special effort to compare them with normal lights.... and surprise surprise, the only lights i was blinded by were normal ones.

I dont understand this opinion that xenons are known to frequently dazzle people. Its only the ghey old shape fiat punto lights that annoy me, that look like xenons.

Out of a Saab, few mercs and beemers and a couple 4x4, oh and including a 172 i spotted on ferry road, the lights never bothered me at all. But then following them is a car with one light out and the other pointing towards the sky (blinding me), a while later a little ford ka with 4 people in it (blinding me) and them either someone with full beams on or very bright dipped beam.

If anything, the xenons are better as they last 6 times longer then standard bulbs, very rarely would get miss-aligned and always raise or lower depending on the wieght in the car.

Just my 2p's worth.

Ford Fiesta
I was driving back home just now and was thinking about this thread when i saw peoples xenons and made a special effort to compare them with normal lights.... and surprise surprise, the only lights i was blinded by were normal ones.

I dont understand this opinion that xenons are known to frequently dazzle people. Its only the ghey old shape fiat punto lights that annoy me, that look like xenons.

Out of a Saab, few mercs and beemers and a couple 4x4, oh and including a 172 i spotted on ferry road, the lights never bothered me at all. But then following them is a car with one light out and the other pointing towards the sky (blinding me), a while later a little ford ka with 4 people in it (blinding me) and them either someone with full beams on or very bright dipped beam.

If anything, the xenons are better as they last 6 times longer then standard bulbs, very rarely would get miss-aligned and always raise or lower depending on the wieght in the car.

Just my 2p's worth.
agree Justin they dont dazzle they sparkle. Spangle sherbert..