ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yes, another lowering thread

One Phat Clio
Searched around, plenty of threads in reagards to lowering. Discovered 40mm lowering may look alittle more standard than people hope so 60mm is the way forward.

So, i own a 1.4 2002 clio. I previously made a thread about cheap coilover suspension i found online[Ebay]. However, i wondered if i could just slap some springs on - afterall its a non sport and im not keen on spending too much on this car.

Assume i installed 60mm springs, perhaps these; (http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m14b26s934p3237&rs=gb) would i need uprated dampers or shocks etc?

If so where can i get them from?

Basically looking to lower for looks only, NOT performance.

Hope you educated Clio low riders can offer some assistance! Dean.:boring:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I had these on my 1.2 mk2 ph1.

I'll just dig you out a few pictures.

They don't ride too bad at all if I'm honest and they look the part.

Comparisonb1.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
  One Phat Clio
Ahh sound. So you've got standard everything shocks dampers etc but replaced the springs to 60mm Apex.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I bought mine of ebay second hand, they came boxed up though and were exactly those.

I believe there are two variants, 40mm and 60mm, although I could be wrong on that, as I say, I didn't buy them new.

I've just looked through that site, and yes they're the ones I had mate.

Oh and yes I've bought things through that site before as have many others on here.

One Phat Clio
Thorough reply thanks Rob.

Some last questions mate; How was the ride quality? Im not looking for total comfort just looks :eek:show off:eek: haha, - Its just i paid decent 2 and half grand for the clio, dont really want to remove total comfort. (motorway travel will eventually be on the agenda also)

I know theres a fine balance between comfort and looks with regards to cost, obviously you get what you pay for (if ya lucky!) but im trying to be cost effective.

Thanks again matey.:cool:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
A more comfortable spring is the more expensive Eibach springs (sportlines are the lower of the two, but still not as low as the Apex), personally as I said, I did over 12k in the Clio with this supension fitted and it caused me no issues. The 12k could have been closer to 20k tbh mate, as I can't quite remember when I fitted them. My honest opinion was that combined with the alloy wheels I added to the car, they were the best mod I did :)

My new Clio has coilovers and is a lot lower, but I still put up with that though... so maybe I'm not fussy?

I did a hell of a lot of motorway miles and even ferried around my parents etc and no one ever really complained tbh.

Speedbumps were more bumpy but other than that, nothing serious in the slightest. In-fact I don't think I'd want to drive one not lowered.

I felt it greatly improve the handling, the lack of body roll and the speed at which you can take a roundabout/corner with confidence completely changes, when I removed the springs to sell the car, I totally forgot I'd done it the first time I drove it and very nearly crashed taking a roundabout too fast... (lol).

Apex would be most peoples second choice, underneath Eibach, which tbh isn't too bad at all, second out of all the other springs available isn't to be sniffed at :)

Hopefully I've been of help mate and you're not disappointed with them.

Ph 1 172
I lowered my old Clio 1.2 60mm on apex springs, with standard shocks I drove with them for 2 years and had no issues at all, all it is is that it will wear the shocks out quicker coz the shocks are put under more pressure, so if shocks are inngoid condition they will be fine but if they are leaking or on there way out then it will show up the problem much quicker

One Phat Clio
Totally helped me out there Rob lad, top stuff.

Well i think ive made my mind up. I dont consider myself as a fussy guy when it comes to comfort, i can litrally sleep on a washing line lol

With refernce to budget the obviuos decision is to the Apex pricing around the £100 margin. I hope it lowers enough. Lastly, the information they gave has misslead me;

Quote "Apex Sport Spring Kit - Lowers car by: 60/40 mm"

Actually how much does it go? is it 40? 60? Shurely not both....50?!

also, im glad you didn't crash on the roundabout! I have a mate who also said driving a "non" lowered car is like maneuvering a boat haha

One Phat Clio
I lowered my old Clio 1.2 60mm on apex springs, with standard shocks I drove with them for 2 years and had no issues at all, all it is is that it will wear the shocks out quicker coz the shocks are put under more pressure, so if shocks are inngoid condition they will be fine but if they are leaking or on there way out then it will show up the problem much quicker

Cheers for feedback Dom, logically that makes sense:approve: so thats good. Im also glad youve had a good experience with the springs. If the shocks do require replacing or upgrading is there a place for this? Local renault dealership may be?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Just get them from the local motorfactors if you ever had to mate, it's a simple job, well exactly the same level of complexity as changing a spring.

You can buy uprated shocks, but in my experience they're not needed.

Those springs are what you'd refer to as 60mm springs, the thing is, some car's seem to sit higher than others, i.e my mk2 ph1 sat higher than a mates mk2 ph2, so when I dropped my car on them, it seemed like it went down MILES, more like 70mm!! But his car wasn't affected quite as much, I'm guessing that's why the put the "/" into their title, just to protect themselves.

One Phat Clio
Yeah, good call. To be honest and you may agree, for around £100 it will do the job cheaply and to a certain degree be quite effective. Besides i reckon now after your help and random suspension research dropping car on Apex isnt a bad move, just get on with it:rasp:haha

If it does sit alittle higher than a mk2 ph1 in comparison to a mk2 ph2 atleast it has reduce the HUGE void between the tyre to the wheel arch and it does look alittle the part.

Thank for ya helps fellas. Dean