ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Z4 3.0si Roadster.

So, I’ve had the car just over a month and have done a few bits and pieces to it. Hopefully, money permitting, there will be a few more minor modifications whilst the car is in my ownership so I thought I’d create this thread to document it. This is how the car looked the day we picked it up:

20130106_151620_zps8f604054.jpg

There were a few cosmetic things that I wanted to do straight away. The previous owner had stuck a Union Jack badge next to the Z4 badge… I’m guessing as the colour is similar to a British racing colour green. So that went, along with the Z4/3.0si badges. I hate clutter and the badge on the back was huge. I also ordered new plates to get rid of the dealer embossed ones. I ordered the front one a bit smaller than standard size. It’s only smaller by about a cm vertically and 1.5cm horizontally so hopefully won’t have any issues with the police. Next up were the side reflectors on the front arches. These came on the facelift model but stand out like a sore thumb and imo ruin the lines at the front. I did plan to spray them body colour but as I found some old tint spray in the shed I gave that a whirl first. I’m pretty chuffed with the result so will leave them like this until spring when think I’ll order an aerosol of matched paint and do them properly.

The car was tramlining like a bugger when we got it (bizarre how I didn’t pick it up on the test drive?). I thought it may have been the RFT’s so ordered up 4 Falken 453’s and sold the Bridgestone’s on Ebay. I got £300 for them so only made a net loss of less than £200 – not too bad as the RFT fronts were pretty worn. One thing with all Z’s with standard wheels is how weak the offset is. You can see how much the wheels hide in the arches here:

P1030056_zps344c3f38.jpg

I ordered some spacers (15mm front/20mm back) and put them on this weekend. Shiny:

P1030068_zpsd70f4075.jpg

Much improved afterwards:

P1030070_zps65f5898b.jpg

Whilst the wheels were off I thought I’d attack the fogs. They were incredibly corroded and full of condensation and caught my eye every time I looked at the front of the car:

P1030061_zps441beb8f.jpg

They were a bit fiddly to get to through the arch liner. I’m a bit torn about what to do with them. They are beyond repair, and new ones aren’t cheap. I think again I’ll spray them body colour in spring but did a high quality masking job in the meanwhile… electrical tape :eek: Surprisingly it actually looks pretty good. I’ll do a proper job come spring. Next item on goodness was the ZHP gearknob. It’s quite a bit shorter and heavier than standard and makes for a much improved gear change.

Before:

P1030072_zps1052b7cf.jpg

After:

P1030073_zps73ff8459.jpg

The grill also went black – chrome is nasty. So this is how the car now stands (i'm no photographer, ha):

P81_zpsb9badc81.png

098_zps254f9c6b.jpg

P1030095_zps9033f934.jpg

P1030090_zps5318640c.jpg

P1030102_zpsece1b48d.jpg

P1030089_zpsf1472df4.jpg

P1030108_zpsb0bcfb8f.jpg

84_zps6099cd4c.jpg

P1030086_zpscaddbf0e.jpg

I'm happy with the way it's looking now. The only thing that irritates me is there is still a bit of tramlining. It's not too bad but it means you lose a bit of confidence when pushing on. The car goes in next week for new bushes (polybush) and allignment. If it's still there i may swap the front tyres as i have now heard bad things (re tramlining) about the Falkens, grr. Next things are to do to fit new stereo/speakers and lower the bugger. AND wrap the wood interior. These will have to wait until after my wedding in July. Tbh i’m in the dog house for what I’ve done already.

Andy

Don't think I've ever seen a zed on MV2's. Spacers made a huge difference, where did you get them from?

How does it compare to the 130i?

Whats behind the zed in the second pic down?

The Mazda!

IMAG0666.jpg

March, you thinking of joining?

Erm.. nope. Just wondered if you'd had it done and were keeping hush.

Don't think I've ever seen a zed on MV2's. Spacers made a huge difference, where did you get them from?

How does it compare to the 130i?

They're Bimecc spacers that I got from Ebay. I ideally wanted to go H&R but they are £145 before you consider longer wheel bolts. These were £115 all in including bolts and locking nuts and get positive reviews on the various beemer forums.

It's very different to the 130i. The 130 was much more of a cruiser, incredibly comfortable yet fast. This is much firmer, much more fun to drive. They have the same engine so engine noise/characteristics are the same, but the Z is notably quicker.

I think it makes the front end much neater & aggressive. I also preferred the black grills on my previous silver & carbon black 1 series. Personal preference I guess.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice write up (finally). Spacers look superb, I know what I'll be investing in next :D

Love the cream leather with the green in yours. Inside is proper gentleman's spec.

I don't think those fogs are beyond repair, take them out, take them right apart, I reckon something like cilit bang could clear those lenses up.

Last edited:
Nice write up (finally). Spacers look superb, I know what I'll be investing in next :D

Love the cream leather with the green in yours. Inside is proper gentleman's spec.

I don't think those fogs are beyond repair, take them out, take them right apart, I reckon something like cilit bang could clear those lenses up.

I've only had it a month, give me chance!

Yeah spacers are a must. As I noted earlier it's such an improvement when viewed in the metal.

I did look at dismantling the fogs but tbh I'm not sure it's worth it. I read on thread on Z4 forum about it.. it seems a fiddle and if I'm honest I think I prefer the look without. Will look better once colour coded.

Front wishbone, rear bushes. I've ordered Polyflex ones. I wasn't sure whether to go for oem as some say whilst polybushes give a much more direct feel to the steering they also transfer a bit more vibration into the cabin and give a more firm ride. But pah, i'm not that old yet and the the Zed is like driving a sofa compared to the MX5. These are the guys i'm taking it to... http://www.bartleyuk.com/car-servicing.htm

They quoted £150 fitted with laser alignment afterwards. They're also giving me a courtesy car for the day so I can drop the my car in before work and collect afterwards.