ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

’STOP’ warning light

My STOP warning light and the exclaimation mark in a circle light (which is the brake circuit warning light?) have recently started coming on together when taking Left-handed long sweeping corners at a bit of speed.

I know that this shouldnt really be happening, and so when it happens I slow down, wait for the lamps to go out and then take it easy for a few miles before building up speed again. I have also checked all my fluid levels and they are OK.

What Id like to know is: If anyone else has had this problem? If anyone knows what exactly could be causing this to happen? and if it can be remedied without wasting my time and money taking the car to Renault?

172, Tiguan

Mine was doing it as well, its cos my front pads were quite low.

Hasnt come on since i changed them.

Although its probably just another wonderful piece of wiring from mr Reno causin it to come on!

Do not drive it !!

Get the AA or whoever you are with out.

I had this the other week and it was my enjection computer!

But it could be anything!!!

right mate you sure you checked all your fluid even the brake fluid hidden down the back under the engine cover as the problem is lack of brake fluid i had it on mine only did it when doing left hand bends at about 90 +

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Its just the fluid level...

When the pads are new there is plenty of "meat" on them, but as they wear the pistons gradually move out of the caliper to compensate and the fluid has to fill the void, so if theyre well worn and the fluid level drops low then the warning light can flash on fast corners.

Just top it up.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by *W17_KEL* on 28 August 2003

haha... your enjection computer.. whats that ? ;) womens technical term ?

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 28 August 2003

Quote: Originally posted by *W17_KEL* on 28 August 2003

haha... your enjection computer.. whats that ? ;) womens technical term ?
No KDF, that would be a thingy or that other thingy that fits on the doofer ;)

Cheers all, Been out in the rain, scratched about in the garage for 20 mins looking for the correct star-drive bit for the top cover and checked to level. It was a little low so Ive topped up. Will find out this evening when I go to training if it has sorted the problem.

320d M Sport

Deffo brake fluid, i had it and mailto:M@thew">M@thew had it too. Funnilly enough just taking fast left hand, sweeping bends. i put a thread up about it few months back.

topped up brake fluid and its been schweet ever since.

Burgandy 174 sport t

i had it once drivin up a hill but my mates used to do it all the time even after brake pad change! it will be under warranty no?! take it to reno and get a courtesy car to waste for a day?!

Quote: Originally posted by EightBall on 28 August 2003

My STOP warning light and the exclaimation mark in a circle light (which is the brake circuit warning light?) have recently started coming on together when taking Left-handed long sweeping corners at a bit of speed.

This happened to me the other day when I was coming down the A2 from Bluebell hill towards the Medway. I decided to max the car out and down the bottom when it swept to the left it flashed on. It certainly made me jump, I can tell you.

As far as I am aware its just to do with the fluid level and where the sensor is in the reservoir. Although, it is wise of course to check your pads as well!

Paul

I had the very same problem on track @ Bedford Autodrome. It turned out that the pads were very low, but with all those cornering forces it could have been fluid levels too. Ive since had the pads changed and all seems ok...

Well I think its safe to say that it was the brake fluid level. After I topped it up (not by very much) the problem has not returned.

Cheers everyone for your replies.

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 28 August 2003

right mate you sure you checked all your fluid even the brake fluid hidden down the back under the engine cover as the problem is lack of brake fluid i had it on mine only did it when doing left hand bends at about 90 +
Is this brake or clutch?

Clio 1.6 16V

Gibbo had this problem recently with his MK2 172. Turned out to be brake fluid loss right enough ........caused by a duff brake master cylinder. Potentially lethal situation if the warning lights were ignored! Trouble is that you cant see the brake fluid reservoir behind the engine top cover, so cant be checked over easily when doing your periodic checks under the bonnet. Im actually planning to ditch my top cover and become a Cup wannaabbe LOL. Easier to check things out and I reckon it just traps heat in the top half of the engine anyway.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Re: ’STOP’ warning light

If you keep the levels to the correct amounts and check everything when you dip the oil then it should eliminate any warning lights coming on.