ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 strut top knocking fix

200 Gordini
Are these washers available?

My old man thinks that the noise will not be sorted out with 2 washers lol i would like to prove him wrong :D

200 Gordini
Okay i believe its the cv joint now but i still might be ordering these fred

is there a way of checking if the strut is knocking?

Lionel Richie
yeah take the top caps off and look for metal on metal contact

FYI - Yozza is now married and on honeymoon for the next week or so

Black 182 FF
Where do these go?

I'm guessing you just whip the top nut off and put them in, then the top nut/cap back on?

How are the frotn struts held on to the body on the clio? I can only see the top nut holding the top part of the mount on; is this the part that stops if falling out of the inner wing? if so will creating a larger gap here not possibly create a knock when the suspension unloads?

Does this problem cause a slight juddering through the steering when parking/turning on near full lock etc? I think mine might have this problem occassionally.

Lionel Richie
how do you you plan on unloading the suspension? you going bridge jumping or something?

as previously mentioned this is now the official renault fix for the issue, so its safe to assume its not dangerous

only problem i've noticed is you may fail the MOT depending where you go, as with the washers fitted and (as you rightly say) with the wheels off the ground the car can be mis diagnosed with knackered top mounts, so remove them prior to MOT to be safe

Just to add chaps, I've just had some new tyres put on and it's gone! So I assume the difference in tread depth was enough to push the strut up - lol.

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
That is bloody madness isn't it. Well I'll get new tyres and the washers if Yozzasport ever respond to my emails...

Black 182 FF
Just to add chaps, I've just had some new tyres put on and it's gone! So I assume the difference in tread depth was enough to push the strut up - lol.

I swapped the backs to front last weak as they were starting to get quite worn - and it seemed to make a difference :)

With a bit of luck I'll get round to putting the washers on tomorrow.

Iceberg 172
I swapped the backs to front last weak as they were starting to get quite worn - and it seemed to make a difference :)

With a bit of luck I'll get round to putting the washers on tomorrow.

I'm about to do this too so I'll report in......

Iceberg 172
I swapped tyres front to rear yesterday and can report that the grinding/hopping on full lock has completely gone! :)

Fronts were Goodyear F1's - there was no noise when these were new but it has come back gradually as they have worn down. The new fronts are much less worn as they have always been on the rear until now.

how do you you plan on unloading the suspension? you going bridge jumping or something?

So I take it that's how the struts held on then! hehe. Seems a bad design if the top mount binds on the body with caster change - really it needs a bearing on both top and bottom?

Just that my other cars have what I would say "normal" top mount fixings; the top mount is part of the strut assembly and the whole assembly is then bolted to the underside of the turret.

Is it the top mount design that causes the axle tramp/bang I wonder? and does fitting the washers make it worse with the bigger gap? Never driven a FWD car that sounds so bad under wheelspin!!

Last edited:
  182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
Good. I have tried to contact you via phone and email on several occasions. Are these washers £10 a pair including delivery?

G

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I only realised yesterday that mines doing this - its actually really annoying!

Black 182 FF
Just fitted mine after it's MOT this morning - tried it on full lock and when dropping off the kerb (usual places where it does it) and at the moment it's cured.

Two minute job when using a windy gun too.

197 CUP
Just fitted mine today NO luck at all still knocking on passengers side when go over small pot hole and squeaking/knocking when on full lock reversing, pulling away and light braking

Any ideas guys?