ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 strut top knocking fix

tiTTy & SV650
But seriously it's worrying that people asking some of these questions even attempt to work on their cars.

R26
Iv got Ktec Soild Mounts fitted and i still get the knocking in full lock, reckon these washers are worth a try? Or should the mounts have cured it?

S3, Polo
The mounts should have cured it! You sure your drive shafts are ok? I understand these can cause a knocking noise on full lock?

From personal experience, the washer 'fix' didn't cure my n/s strut occasionally making a small clunk when pulling away and I have new driveshafts. :(

Still, it only cost £10 and 20 mins of my time.

R26
The mounts should have cured it! You sure your drive shafts are ok? I understand these can cause a knocking noise on full lock?

From personal experience, the washer 'fix' didn't cure my n/s strut occasionally making a small clunk when pulling away and I have new driveshafts. :(

Still, it only cost £10 and 20 mins of my time.

Ahh... well they havent :\

No idea on the driveshafts.. looks like it needs to see the doctor again.

Megane RS 250
Thanks to Fred for this thread. I'm getting 4 done, zinc-plated, they are 40mmx3mm with a 11mm hole, so I'll modified them to get it up to 18,5.
I'll fit them to the new top mounts, if they work I'll let you know.

Megane RS 250
done:
washers.jpg

Megane RS 250
I'll take the new top mounts tomorrow morning, but I still haven't bought the new dampers yet...I don't have the budget this month, insurance and mot coming...

VaVa
I machined some out of some scrap brass today, but for some reason had written down 40mm OD, 18.5mm ID and 5mm thick. I'm hoping the extra 2mm won't make a difference. lol.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Can anyone describe this common knock? I've noticed a knock that only occurs on suspension compression at the front whilst lock is applied. I've only heard if maybe three times since I've had the car.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Well, if that is the case, Fred you are a legend, thank you. I thought it was going to be one of those niggles I'd never find and as if by chance, I find this thread whilst casually browsing.

I shall head down to the local fixings place for a couple of washers tomorrow :)

cup 182 cup
i have the same problem making a small clunk when pulling away also when on full lock. MOT is due next month any ideas so i can prepare? BTW i know its not the CV's cos they been done already.

Matty

monaco 172
Did we ever find a place to buy these washers? I go to page 9 and from what I could gather it seems you have to get someone to make them for you.z

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Can anyone tell me if the knocking/grinnding i have in the video below is the strut top knocking?

It seemed to be a hell of alot worse in the hot weather :S

This is turning the wheel 1 - 2 inches left or right and only seems to happen at very slow speeds....with the engine running or not.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX_3aYmYHTU

Audi A3
can i use a 21mm socket instead of a spanner at all? cant seem to find a spanner anywhere that big but can find sockets?

If its loose enough yes. But unless its been cracked recently, you'll need to put on allen key in the centre to stop the whole rod spinning.

Just go to a garage and get them to buzz gun it off, then hand tighten it back up.

Audi A3
If its loose enough yes. But unless its been cracked recently, you'll need to put on allen key in the centre to stop the whole rod spinning.

Just go to a garage and get them to buzz gun it off, then hand tighten it back up.

so get them to buzz gun it off and just hand tighten it up?

Audi A3
So this morning, I've undone the top bolt (21mm one) drop the washer underneath and hand tighten back up?

Seems to of worked, looks higher, definitely ok to just hand tighten it, just doesn't seem to be enough?

Lionel Richie
you have to be careful, you can pop the spring out of its top hat if you go nuts, just tighten it until you feel resistance (using hand tools)