ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 strut top knocking fix

Audi A3
I've done it tight by hand so from what I've read I imagine that'll be enough.

Didn't think it'd be such an easy fix to be fair.

Cheers guys!

clio 182
I'm getting some made outta toughen steel, would this be okay. I know ss is better but would these be okay.

Clio 172 Cup
I got a couple off ebay, going to do them later when i fell brave enough to work on the car in -2c i'll let you know how it goes.

HBT 172 Cup
The eBay ones are fine, like said above they are a sloppy fit, but they still function as they should.

Only managed to fit one of mine, completely destroyed the hex slot on the top of the strut piston FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

RS6 C7
I have plenty available, Made from marine grade stainless steel IN THE CORRECT SIZE ;) , CNC machined. £4.99 a pair delivered to your door. PM me if you would like some :)

Pictures:
washers002.jpg

Monaco 172
I bought the 2.99 ones off ebay and yeah they dont seem to be a snug fit hmmmm. Hasnt cured the squeaking and knocking either so i wouldnt recommend them. Wilk buy them off here from someone who knows what they are on about lol.

Also a quick question, i see these are meant to cure a knock which happens on full lock? i cant say ive noticed that kind of knock but my suspension squeaks when going over rough roads, speed humps etc. Will it cure this?

Last edited:

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
I bought some and have done the drivers side but am having difficulty getting passenger side off,any advice would be greatly recieved.
Have already done the wd40 soak,the nut is starting to wear though.....:(

Clio 182
Only just seen this thread! Spotted you on eBay Dan and ordered some last week; just fitted two days ago during service/MOT time.

The whole car feels much more solid through the wheel and no wobbly creaking nonsense on full lock any more; great fix!

Cheers.

RS6 C7
Only just seen this thread! Spotted you on eBay Dan and ordered some last week; just fitted two days ago during service/MOT time.

The whole car feels much more solid through the wheel and no wobbly creaking nonsense on full lock any more; great fix!

Cheers.

Don't thanks me Thanks Fred ;)

172 cup
I was think of getting some solid top mounts, would it be a waste of time getting these and fitting if im getting solid mounts soonish?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Take the top hat off and see if you have a 16mm nut or a 21mm nut.

The revised top mount has a new spacer design in it to stop the knocking.
makes it worse half the time. Removed loads of these washers because they have caused knocking too

HBT 172 Cup
Just fitted some "revised top mounts" where the top hat and 21mm nut are seperate.

My kit didnt come with the new style collar, so i used the old collar and 17mm nut. If anything teh top hats are closer to the strut tower now. HOWEVER i now have no squeaky noise on full lock (like a used to), and have no knocks (never had them anyway).