ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 - holding back, generally not driving right!

RB 182
My 172 just isn't feeling right. Symptoms are this -

It feels like it's holding back, but not in a misfire kind of way, when I change gear it's like it's on an elastic wire slightly, as if it's going to stall but doesn't. It doesn't like driving around 1500-2000rpm, just is very jerky.

I've replaced an injector a few weeks back, for the same kind of issue, the defective unit was reading around 10ohms, a lot less than the other 3. The car seemed to run a lot better then, even competing a track day. Naturally, I rechecked the injectors, expecting to find another faulty one, but they're all good. The timing is spot on, I did it myself using the special tools (Im competent in this field). I've run a tank of 99 RON through it, but still the same. The only thing I know is wrong with it, is the exhaust back box to centre pipe is blowing, but very doubtful this is causing the issue. Plugs are correct and 250 miles old

I'd of thought a lambda fault would trigger the EML, but that only came on when it had an injector down

Any help is appreciated!

monaco 172
Could be lambda. What mpg do you get at 70 on the motorway after 10 mins after resetting the clock?

When my lambda went there were no codes or eml

182 FF, 306 Rallye
Sorry to highjack but mine shares the same symptoms for the first 60 seconds of a journey. Its as though it is holding back, hessitant.... and then all of a sudden its fine. It litterally feels like a switch is flipped and after that initial minute it drives perfect. Bizzare. I occassionally get a misfire on changing gear from 1st to 2nd during this minute too. Have changed both lambdas, injectors, plugs, coil pack all for genuine items but no joy. Could it be some other sensor??

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Sorry to highjack but mine shares the same symptoms for the first 60 seconds of a journey. Its as though it is holding back, hessitant.... and then all of a sudden its fine. It litterally feels like a switch is flipped and after that initial minute it drives perfect. Bizzare. I occassionally get a misfire on changing gear from 1st to 2nd during this minute too. Have changed both lambdas, injectors, plugs, coil pack all for genuine items but no joy. Could it be some other sensor??
That just sounds like the usual cold start characteristics mate. Mine was exactly the same until the remap

182 FF, 306 Rallye
That just sounds like the usual cold start characteristics mate. Mine was exactly the same until the remap

Ok mate thanks. The strange thing is though, it didn't do it when I first had the car? Started around 10k or so ago and have been scratching my head since....

RB 182
Ok further things are happening. I haven't had chance to replace the O2 sensor, I had a sporadic DTC for post cat sensor though

Tonight I drove it for 1st time in 3 days, and it wouldn't rev past about 3k, it was hesistating and holding back, even with foot to floor, until after 5 secs or so it backfired and let it Rev. The trip lasted 4 mins, when I came out of Dominos, and set off home it was fine. Not scanned it again yet

Any ideas?