ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 172 cup??

FormulaFord Ecoboost
own3d5ow.gif

I think somebody has just read Grant7's post and is now backing down :rasp:

I know exactly what the 172 cup is, and have done since it came out in 2002.

I call it a Dynamique, because it's the pikey spec clio.

LMFAO @ you n00bs. Spose it's the skool holidays then?

Fiesta zetec s
Haha, the school days are long gone. On a serious note the cup is much more than a standard clio with a 2.0 engine.

Haha, the school days are long gone. On a serious note the cup is much more than a standard clio with a 2.0 engine.

Nope, it's a Dynamique with a 2.0 engine. Pointless. ;)

Seriously, get a normal 172. Only place for a cup is on track.

Fiesta zetec s
Ok then, you stick to your 306 diesel and i'll stick to my dynamique with a 2.0 engine :rasp:

Last edited:
  2050cc Corsa
i drive my cup everyday, and it does the job brilliantly ?

beeing a renault personally the less stuff on there (tc/abs/climate) the less stuff to go wrong was the way i looked at it

Ok then, you stick to your 306 diesel and i'll stick to my dynamique with a 2.0 engine :rasp:

LOL I'd rather have the 306 than your cup. A/C for when it's sunny!! :cool:

My previous 172 was a non cup, my 182 was a FF, and my next 172 will be a non cup.

Fiesta zetec s
LOL I'd rather have the 306 than your cup. A/C for when it's sunny!! :cool:

My previous 172 was a non cup, my 182 was a FF, and my next 172 will be a non cup.

Thats why i sed you stick to yours and i'll stick to mine :D

Freetrack&Monaco 172

This argument is hillarious......but I'm with Grant7 ;)

I've owned a Cup for 18 months. It is most certainly not pointless. I spent the previous 4 months to my purchase testdriving every RS variant under the sun, even the trophy......and the only reason I didnt get one of those was the price they were holding against the budget I had set myself. The next step down from that is the Cup, in my opinion, and I think that opinion is more than valid. I was looking for an upgrade to my 106 1.3 S1 Rallye. The things that were important to me were handling and performance. Also the fact the Rallye was a special edition, as is the Cup, giving it an extra bit of specialness and uniqueness.

Have a read of this review, which says exactly what I would respond to you with: All the Clio’s old failings remain, from its absurd driving position to poor cabin materials, but when you’re having this much fun who cares?

I can appreciate the half leather interior of the other RS's seats, dont get me wrong, they are very smart but the Cup's interior is most defianately not on the same par as the Dynamique. I will be buying a Corbeau bucket very soon, not because I do not like the Cup fabric.....it just doesnt have any facility to accomodate a harness......;)

In the debate of 'which car should I buy'........basically comes down to what you want the car to do for you.

Do you want a fast luxurious hatchback with all the mod-cons, or do you want a drivers car, that does away with all the extras to will give you a big grin every time you drive it? It helps for me that my drive to and from work is all B-road territory.

I'm not saying the normal 172s dont handle well, and the average driver wouldnt be able to tell the difference until they got near the limit, but I think the Cup gives a more entertaining drive.

S3, Polo
beeing a renault personally the less stuff on there (tc/abs/climate) the less stuff to go wrong was the way i looked at it

Exactly why I think they command a premium over the 172.

Perceived reliability of French cars and the philosophy that if there's something to go wrong on them, it will! ;)

This argument is hillarious......but I'm with Grant7 ;)

Blah blah

I'm not going to read a word of what you wrote. ;) Only reason you'd have a cup is if you regularly go on track or bought it without realising there was a proper version available which is much nicer.

E36 328

So a dynamique that had been converted to a 2.0 engine would set the same times around a track?

And you say the cup is for the track, hasnt the guy said he wants it for the track :S

So a dynamique that had been converted to a 2.0 engine would set the same times around a track?

And you say the cup is for the track, hasnt the guy said he wants it for the track :S

A dynamique is quicker than a cup round track. Putting the 2.0 engine in will prob lose you about 1-2 secs a lap. Standard, the dynamique has quite a bit more torques.

Fiesta zetec s
xzibit if you read the cup spec i posted up you'll see that the suspension set up, the track of the wheels, the full rs kit (bumpers, wings etc) and posibly everything else about the cup are far from a dynamique. lol.

Fiesta zetec s
A dynamique is quicker than a cup round track. Putting the 2.0 engine in will prob lose you about 1-2 secs a lap. Standard, the dynamique has quite a bit more torques.

Thats the funniest post i've ever read fair play!

xzibit if you read the cup spec i posted up you'll see that the suspension set up, the track of the wheels, the full rs kit (bumpers, wings etc) and posibly everything else about the cup are far from a dynamique. lol.

Nah, it's just marketing bollox.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As per, the cup owing drivers with Senna-esque car control claim ABS is pointless.

172 Cup
I love people who don't realise they're getting their handle cranked....

Dynamique Cups rule!!!! Shame they didn't base it on the Extreme though!

I love people who don't realise they're getting their handle cranked....

Dynamique Cups rule!!!! Shame they didn't base it on the Extreme though!

Oh, they'd f**king rule if they were based on the extreme. Blue seats ftw!!! Actually the extreme is a step up from the cup, due to auto lights and wipers. Oh, and has better suspension set up.

172 Cup
Oh, they'd f**king rule if they were based on the extreme. Blue seats ftw!!! Actually the extreme is a step up from the cup, due to auto lights and wipers. Oh, and has better suspension set up.

A squeeky sunroof would be good as well but suppose would add weight!

RS 172 cup

Where is the dynacup when you need it...

xzibit - take your baggy ass jeans and f**k off and go pimp someones ride, your really boring me.

grant7 - let the r****d blaze it up in his dturdo he obviously has no taste as he likes shiny things and not mens cars

all imo :boring:

Where is the dynacup when you need it...

xzibit - take your baggy ass jeans and f**k off and go pimp someones ride, your really boring me.

grant7 - let the r****d blaze it up in his dturdo he obviously has no taste as he likes shiny things and not mens cars

all imo

Lolz. You jealous you didn't have ESP (which comes on proper 172's) judging from you avatar?!? ;)

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I'm not going to read a word of what you wrote. ;) Only reason you'd have a cup is if you regularly go on track or bought it without realising there was a proper version available which is much nicer.

Lol, cheeky.......as yet I havent been on a track (but I do intend to), and I was very aware of the other RSs about when i bought it.......if you'd read my 'blah blah blah' you'd got that :rasp:

In a way you are right, the Cup was meant as a 'track' car, hence the rear brake bias setup and all the other changes etc.......for someone who wants a nice, quick and daily driver, a normal 172 would be the way to go unless they are very into their cars and want something a little more hardcore....;)

There was a very good comment about there being less bits to go wrong on a Cup though...............:D

Lol, cheeky.......as yet I havent been on a track (but I do intend to), and I was very aware of the other RSs about when i bought it.......if you'd read my 'blah blah blah' you'd got that :rasp:

In a way you are right, the Cup was meant as a 'track' car, hence the rear brake bias setup and all the other changes etc.......for someone who wants a nice, quick and daily driver, a normal 172 would be the way to go unless they are very into their cars and want something a little more hardcore....;)

There was a very good comment about there being less bits to go wrong on a Cup though...............:D

LOL I did really read it, I was only playing.

There's absolutley nothing wrong with cups, there serve a purpose, and I wouldn't not have one. People get so touché though lol.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
LOL I did really read it, I was only playing.

There's absolutley nothing wrong with cups, there serve a purpose, and I wouldn't not have one. People get so touché though lol.

Some of the other 172 vs Cup threads go the same route, becomes a heated debate lol

I can see the pros & cons of both sides, for me a Cup was the right choice, for Joe Bloggs it might not be.......everybody is the same in one way, we are all unique!

I was using humor too btw ;)........some of the responses you've had to comments are priceless!! Sat at my desk at work, and every little while I giggle and everyone looks round at me with wtf expressions!

53 Clio's & counting
God i love CS lol

Guys he was winding you up, pinch of salt comes to mind!

Long story short:

If you have a budget (lets say £4000) to buy and mod a Clio with then buy a PH1 for £1500 and spend the rest on modding it, then it will get round a track faster than any other RS Clio cup or not.

If you have more money then buy a cup, only on the basis that it is more 'track orientated' and therefor a better base, but after driving a friends modded cup i think its a bit swings and round abouts anyway IMO of course

S3, Polo
If you have a budget (lets say £4000) to buy and mod a Clio with then buy a PH1 for £1500 and spend the rest on modding it...

IMO, anyone that spends £2.5k modding a £1.5k car, needs their head seeing to!

Horses for courses, I suppose...

S2000 + E91 330D
FF all day.

i bet two equal drivers in a cup and FF and there would be f**k all in it around a track.