ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 track car brake set up help needed

Clio 172 track car
Hi everyone

New member here, just want to pick everyone's brains with how best to set my brakes up for limited road use (20 miles per week) and track day use. The car is going to be built as a full track ready car and is an 03 plate 172 (not cup).

Fortunately one of my best mates is a mechanic so that's handy, so he will be doing most if not all of the work on the car for me.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting mintex discs with new bearings pre fitted including abs ring, and with new mintex pads for the rear, change the brake fluid to dot 5.1 and buy braided brake lines for front and rear. Does this sound ok? The fronts I'm thinking of getting grooved and vented discs with yellow stuff pads ? Or DS2500 ferados?

Any help will be hugely appreciated ! Thanks

brembo hc front and oe rear discs are well up to the job and will be cheaper, George on here will sort you. I wouldn't put anything made by ebc on my car, ds2500 are good but I've found the limit of mine and would like something better, interested in carbine Lorraine rc6 or carbotech xp8

Clio 172 track car
Thanks mate, iv been looking at the brembo HCs , I'll have a look around at some pads now, hoping to do a track day on May 2nd at my local track, have so much to do before hand !

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
as markx said standard rear discs ,brembo hc front and either rc6 or if your a hero on the brakes like me rc8

Thanks mate, iv been looking at the brembo HCs , I'll have a look around at some pads now, hoping to do a track day on May 2nd at my local track, have so much to do before hand !

Just make sure the car's fit and healthy and you've got friction material on your pads and just go enjoy it! Good luck :)

as markx said standard rear discs ,brembo hc front and either rc6 or if your a hero on the brakes like me rc8

Ooohh, how hardcore are the RC8?!

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
they are fantastic a bit like hitting a brick wall. i have tried the ds2500 which were ok but did fade a bit after a good run and only lasted 2 1/2 track days. the ds3000 didnt fade but only lasted 1 track day and didnt give a good feel.
the rc8 were great. very predictable good feel

Clio 172 track car
Sounds good to me , may look at them RC8s then, yeah I'm sure il enjoy it, done abit of karting when I was a kid so always been into the track, can't wait to get going now. Got the timing belt and tensioners, aux belt and tensioners and a service being done next week too.