ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 FAILING TO START

M

matty_ealam_clio197

when changing alternator on 182 forgot to remove earth strap off battery and earth the live wire on alternator out.
car will not start now crank for a few seconds or if you turn ignition on and leave nothing happens when you try and crank.
my diagnostic will not connect so am guess ecu is not poweing up as there is no throttle bodie noise when ignition is turn on either.

check 30amp ecu fuse ok but change for a new one anyway

any ideas ???

cheers

Lionel Richie
look in the engine bay fuse box, one of the small relays (normally brown or black)n has a white wire going to it, i forget which one, have a look, that's the starter motor relay, that's normally the problem

M

matty_ealam_clio197

still no joy changed relay and no differance just cranking fr bout 5 seconds then stops had same fault when had broken earth lead but checked all them

M

matty_ealam_clio197

the fuse on the battery terminal is ok , have snap on diagnostic and also Renault clip but neither connect. still no joy with it, ECU has power to it on one pin is this correct ??
has anyone got a wiring diagram please

Silver Phase 2 172
Don't know if this can happen on clios, but, when I was putting the engine in my old 205 the same thing happened to me and it ended up that I have fried the ecu??

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Have you tried disconnecting the battery again for 10mins? Do the dash lights come on then you turn the key? Does the battery sound flat when you crank it?

Clio 197
I know you said you think it's the ecu but give this a go:
Turn the ignition to the second click, leave the door open, disconnect the battery, wait about 10 seconds, re connect the battery, take the key out, lock the door, unlock it and try again. This made my 182 work when it did this in the cold weather. It had a new crank shaft sensor but that did nothing. It's worth a go. Good luck.

Clio 182
When mine does this I pull the engine management fuse out with ign on and shove it back in again then it starts. Nobody could give me an explanation for it. Also only happens when parked facing downhill.