ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 v BM E30 325i

Quote from another, discussing the two...
...rwd and would rape a clio, easy
i wasnt convinced tbh... anyone been up against it?
correct me if im wrong but as far as i know these are 190ish?

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
Thought they were 170 ish?
Only good for going sideways, would love one for a wile

an E30? hmm depends how healthy its engine is but i'd imagine the clio should take it easily

E36, close but clio again

E46, as above

E90, nothing in it, BMW quicker above 100 chocolate buttons

Cooksport Fleet
i raced one and pissed it, my mate has one, no contest with a 325i e30. I raced an e46 330i closed in on it in 3rd gear. Mines 182 with matched inlets and exhaust etc.

Octavia vRS tfsi
I've owned a number of e30 325i Sports and two ph1 172s. The Clio will absolutely demolish it in everything, straight line, corners. The e30 is no contender.

lol...
i KILLED a e36 325i AND a e36 328i...
and lets not forget - e46 328ci

a quick vid..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb6zDGJ3tnM

not so good start from either of us..but trust me I kill it !

(oh and that's an ///M3 passing us lol)

lol at that video @2mins with M3 vs 197 standing start, M3 gives the clio a headstart and chomps it. any dreamers out there who think they can live with an M3 in their clio need to pay attention, its a bloodbath

Renaultsport Clio 197
lol at that video @2mins with M3 vs 197 standing start, M3 gives the clio a headstart and chomps it. any dreamers out there who think they can live with an M3 in their clio need to pay attention, its a bloodbath

never thought I could play with it :)..absolutely annihilates me in every way.
If I say - i can stay behind him in the twisties - i'd be lying :)

cool, wasn't refferring to you dude, just everynow and again a thread pops up saying beat an M3/M5 etc and it always makes me laugh.

interesting mix of cars there - fiat coupe, alfa GTV etc etc

Renaultsport Clio 197
cool, wasn't refferring to you dude, just everynow and again a thread pops up saying beat an M3/M5 etc and it always makes me laugh.

interesting mix of cars there - fiat coupe, alfa GTV etc etc

I know u wasn't talking bout me :)

fiat coupe is turbo, remap and exhaust, has about 220ish bhp - I'm faster up to 120/130 mph..silly :)

and I'm side to side with the gtv (2.0 V6 turbo, just has a de-cat)

Golf GTD Mk7
never thought I could play with it :)..absolutely annihilates me in every way.
If I say - i can stay behind him in the twisties - i'd be lying :)

What do you expect from a 3.2lt rdw beast. I've kept up with one round tight bits, but straights appear and bye bye BM

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I know u wasn't talking bout me :)

fiat coupe is turbo, remap and exhaust, has about 220ish bhp - I'm faster up to 120/130 mph..silly :)

and I'm side to side with the gtv (2.0 V6 turbo, just has a de-cat)

Doesnt sound like a healthy coupe. You should get pulled on..Coupes are quick as standard with 220bhp. With those mods should be 250bhp+ and about double your torque..

One thing i find is people knock the BMW 330's. With a good driver imo they rip 1*2's std vs std. Tried and test LOADS of times. :) The old 325's though..pap!

What do you expect from a 3.2lt rdw beast. I've kept up with one round tight bits, but straights appear and bye bye BM

Yep that's about right, there is no reason an M3 will outcorner a ClioSport by any significant amount unless it's at VERY high speed where the better stability of the M3 will shine. The main difference is the bits in between are faster in the M3.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yep that's about right, there is no reason an M3 will outcorner a ClioSport by any significant amount unless it's at VERY high speed where the better stability of the M3 will shine. The main difference is the bits in between are faster in the M3.

I'd say you could enter and leave a corner much quicker in a M3..

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You can probably get a better exit in an M3 and the extra torque of the engine to accelerate out of it but I bet a 197 is easier to tip in.

You could brake later i would have thought though..therefore, later braking + similar turn in + faster exit = faster corning...;)

C32 AMG Estate
Had a blat with a mate a few years back who had an E30 325 M sport, got away from him off a roundabout, but once we got onto a long dual carriageway and upto speeds he gained on me, quite easily if memory serves !.............and no I dont drive like a girl ! lol

You could brake later i would have thought though..therefore, later braking + similar turn in + faster exit = faster corning...;)

Why do you automatically think an M3 can stop faster than a Clio? It has got bigger brakes and wider tyres but it weights almost 50% more. When the ClioSport came out it was one of the quickest stopping cars 100-0 that Autocar have ever timed. The brakes on the my 182 feel awesomely powerful for factory brakes, the M3 by comparison is lacking in the factory brakes department, whilst initially powerful, they won't take more than a good few high speed stops to start grumbling (apart from the current V8 M3).

just lol at ppl comparing the 197 to an M3

weighs 50% more i dont think so, depends what M3 you are talking about, but 50% nahh

clio 197 = 1240kg
E30 M3 = 1257kg
E36 M3 = 1475kg
E46 M3 = 1570kg (CSL 1375kg)
E90 M3 = 1655kg

Last edited:
  PH1 172 Sport

weighs 50% more i dont think so, depends what M3 you are talking about, but 50% nahh

Exactly! How can people compare the two they are in a totally different class. An M3 in any form would wipe the floor with a cliosport.

I've found the clio is quick enough to suprise most 3 series drivers upto the 330i in petrol and 323d in diesel but your not going to demolish anything but the lowered engine ones.

182 Cup
I've not been up against an E30 325, but I'd be surprised if a healthy one wouldn't be quite similar straight line performance to a 1*2.

I've been on trackdays with both E36 323's and E46(?) 330's. Out of the two I was probably about a second faster than the 330 over a lap of Brands, but with the 323 there was nothing in it.

clio 197 = 1240kg
E30 M3 = 1257kg
E36 M3 = 1475kg
E90 M3 = 1655kg

Sorry I was thinking a 197 was more like 1100kg vs 1500kg E36 EVO onwards. Even though it's a good chunk heavier.

Renaultsport Clio 197
197 is more than 1240kgs believe me...
especially if it has all the options, including the 5 ton sunroof ;)

mine is 1300ish kgs IIRC

Exactly! How can people compare the two they are in a totally different class. An M3 in any form would wipe the floor with a cliosport.

I've found the clio is quick enough to suprise most 3 series drivers upto the 330i in petrol and 323d in diesel but your not going to demolish anything but the lowered engine ones.

Who said demolish anything? My argument was not on a full lap vs each other but on someone saying there's no comparison "through the twisties" which isn't really true. The Clio if anything having an advantage on sharper corners with faster changes of direction.

On track my 3.2 M Coupe is faster overall but there are parts where my 205GTi is better. Noteably the Mountain and the following tight chicane at Cadwell.

I've been on trackdays with both E36 323's and E46(?) 330's. Out of the two I was probably about a second faster than the 330 over a lap of Brands, but with the 323 there was nothing in it.

330 was obviously not as well driven as it should have been noticeably faster than the older 323 (unless it was modified? - they're big old boats otherwise!)

clio 197 = 1240kg
E30 M3 = 1257kg
E36 M3 = 1475kg
E90 M3 = 1655kg

They're about right but the CSL is NOT 200kg lighter than a regular M3.

182 Cup
330 was obviously not as well driven as it should have been noticeably faster than the older 323 (unless it was modified? - they're big old boats otherwise!)

323 was modified, but nothing done to the engine as far as I was aware.

Edit - the 323 had been on a substantial diet!

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Yep correct. My old dear has a 330 and it easily had the legs on my mates 172..

PH1 172 Sport
Who said demolish anything? My argument was not on a full lap vs each other but on someone saying there's no comparison "through the twisties" which isn't really true. The Clio if anything having an advantage on sharper corners with faster changes of direction.

On track my 3.2 M Coupe is faster overall but there are parts where my 205GTi is better. Noteably the Mountain and the following tight chicane at Cadwell.

Calm down mate it wasn't a dig at anything that you've said. People get so defensive on this forum!! :rasp:

Swift Sport
I beat a 330 round Bedford in my 197 last weekend, so I'd think a 325 would be fairly easy imo :)

Btw... M3's raped me!!

Last edited: