ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Amazon fire TV sticks

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Kodi is no so happy at people selling "fully loaded kodi boxes"

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-and-youtube-promoters-are-killing-kodi/

Over the past few years it’s become clear that many users have been watching pirated content using unofficial and unsupported add-ons that frequently break, and they are installing add-on repositories whose trustworthiness is questionable, leaving themselves open to numerous security exploits. Lately there’s even been a move to install “builds,” which intentionally break Kodi and, much like viruses, are almost impossible to uninstall, but have the benefit of adding LOTS of untrustworthy repos full of add-ons that don’t work.

Team Kodi maintains an officially neutral stance on what users do with their own software. Kodi is open source software, and as long as the GPL is followed, you are welcome to do with it as you like. So while we don’t love this use of Kodi, as long as you know what illegal and potentially dangerous things you are getting yourself into and accept the fact that the Team will not be providing you with any support, then you are welcome to do what you like.

The Problem
The problem is this: There have been a wave of sellers who decided to make a quick buck modifying Kodi, installing broken piracy add-ons, advertising that Kodi let’s you watch free movies and TV, and then vanishing when the user buys the box and finds out that the add-on they were sold on was a crummy, constantly breaking mess. These sellers are dragging users into the world of piracy without their knowledge and at the same time convincing new users that Kodi is a buggy mess, because they never differentiate Kodi from 3rd party add-ons. Every day a new user shows up on the Kodi forum, totally unaware that the free movies they’re watching have been pirated and surprised to discover that Kodi itself isn’t providing those movies.

And there are even more people out there seeking to make a quick buck by selling ads on videos about getting free movies and TV while using Kodi in their channel name to make their content seem official, as if those videos are coming from us.

A Typical eBay Listing – They even spell XBMC wrong

Team Kodi is officially tired of this. We are tired of new users coming into the forum, asking why the box that “we” sold them was broken. We are tired of this endless campaign by dishonest salesmen to push a single use of Kodi that nobody on the team actually recommends. We are tired of these salesmen lying to users, claiming that pirate streams and pirate boxes are “legal” when they are absolutely not at some level or other. We are tired of being told by companies that they don’t want to work with us, because we are selling pirate boxes. Being removed from an App Store this summer because of the campaigning of others was like a slap in the face. Most of all, we are tired of a thousand different salesmen and Youtubers making money off ruining our name.

It’s gotten bad enough that core Kodi developers have threatened to quit in protest.

The Solution
Our solution to this problem is pretty straightforward. We now own the trademark to Kodi, and we plan to use it to finally battle the mass confusion created by those seeking to profit on unaware users.

This means we will issue trademark takedown notices anywhere we think the likelihood for confusion is high. If you are selling a box on your website designed to trick users into thinking broken add-ons come from us and work perfectly, so you can make a buck, we’re going to do everything we can to stop you. If you are making a video in which you claim to be a Kodi developer or Kodi team member or you are just using the Kodi name while assuring users that some pirate add-on is totally legal and isn’t going to break next week, we will do everything we can to take you down.

We Need The Community’s Help
Users, you are welcome to keep doing whatever you want with Kodi. Devs of all stripes, feel free to keep developing whatever you want. This is an open, free platform, developed under the GPL, and always will be.

But we are in danger now of losing key core developers and the soul of the application to the greedy individuals who profit on tricking users and remarketing Kodi to suit their needs. And we need the community’s help to stop them.

If you see somebody selling a box that’s “fully loaded” or comes with the phrase “Free movies and TV with Kodi,” please, ask them to stop. And let us know. It’s OK to sell a vanilla Kodi box. It’s OK to sell a fully loaded box that doesn’t have Kodi installed or fully rebrands Kodi to something else entirely. It is not OK to sell a fully loaded Kodi box.

If you see a Youtuber using the Kodi logo as part of his channel, constantly marketing Kodi as a source of free movies, ask him to stop pretending to be us and dragging our name through the muck. And, of course, let us know. Who knows, maybe the Youtuber has no idea that he or she is causing so many problems and a conversation might solve them.

We love making Kodi. We love working on a free, open source software that’s the best media center on the planet, able to do things no other media center can do. And we want to keep making Kodi better, every single day. But every day our name gets dragged through the mud, we are in danger of losing developers and losing the freedom to make Kodi great.

We want to make Kodi for as long as there ever is a need. Help us keep going. #KodiForever

Kodi is no so happy at people selling "fully loaded kodi boxes"

I do feel it's surge in popularity for this reason is going to eventually kill it.

Years ago it was just used by the few who could understand how to install it on the few devices it could run on.

Now you can buy all these terrible builds on all sorts of devices.

Good but also a bad thing in a way.

stu12345

ClioSport Club Member
  EB e46 m3
bit of help needed , i have a amazon fire tv with kodi installed with addons such as exodus , salts, istream ect..... all is fine with streams at home but as soon as i take it anywhere else, for example my sisters addons like exodus, spectro genesis wont find any streams at all. any ideas on how i can fix this .

SQ5
Router shouldn't be the problem. Could be her provider though. I can't get on lots of websites for movies from sky.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
It's a router blocking access. Google her isp and kodi and there should be a guide

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
bit of help needed , i have a amazon fire tv with kodi installed with addons such as exodus , salts, istream ect..... all is fine with streams at home but as soon as i take it anywhere else, for example my sisters addons like exodus, spectro genesis wont find any streams at all. any ideas on how i can fix this .
Are they different ISPs?
Many ISPs are blocking websites now to stop piracy.

White APE
Mine had been dicking about lately. As I had a lovely case of insomnia last night I decided to look into it.
Upgraded kodi to Jarvis and stripped black box. Could t get paradox to work so ended up installing beast. So far I'm impressed with it.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yeah all of mine broke recently so I rebuilt them all with Jarvis and Specto which seems faster than the old setup, it also automatically searches through sources which was always a PITA.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
How do I update my fire stick? Plug it into laptop and go onto kodi website?
Think the Amazon version needs updating too but I don't get all this s**t

How do I update my fire stick? Plug it into laptop and go onto kodi website?
Think the Amazon version needs updating too but I don't get all this s**t
Amazon firetv stick updates automatically.

Kodi is just an app that runs on the firestick.

Funnily enough Kodi itself currently has a ticker running along the bottom warning of issues and dangers with these pirated prebuild boxes.

I would completely reset your firetv stick so it wipes completely everything. .

Then manually install Kodi yourself. Then once you have Kodi install the various apps manually from within it.

Unfortunately kodi add ons are not a plug and play solution. If you're not that way inclined, the fact that they're all temperamental means you will always struggle if you don't have some technical understanding.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Can anyone recommend a good TV guide as ivue no longer works.
Renegade won't upload, dna is a bit pants

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I got my brother one with beast installed, then I fucked up the GUI on Kodi.

Does anyone know how to revert it back, is it a skin or something - I couldn't figure out what I'd done.

BMW 330ci
Beast didn't work for me so I installed community portal and then downloaded lots of different repos individually.

Is this best or should I install beast.

If so how as it didn't work last time.

Beast didn't work for me so I installed community portal and then downloaded lots of different repos individually.

Is this best or should I install beast.

If so how as it didn't work last time.
Not heard of the portal thing but generally downloading indivual repos and then installing individual apps is a far better method.
Plus this way of something isn't working you can narrow it down to an app within a repo.

Think of it like installing just the programs you want manually on a pc yourself , rather than it coming preloaded with a load of bloatware that clogs the system and makes it hard to remove/fix things.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
So, I haven't used my FireTV stick in a little while now, particularly since TBB died. I only ever really used it to watch movies, as I found trying to watch TV Series to be a bit of a pain with it.

Obviously I still have Kodi, I assume I'll have to do a fresh install of it to wipe TBB from it. My question is, what do I use now? I wouldn't mind being able to watch sports on it too, as I don't have BT Sports, but I do have Sky so it's not a deal breaker... But I want to watch films (such as the new Star Wars). What do you lot recommend, and how would I get it going on Kodi?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I still think these are so unreliable

Went for a complete fresh start with just Addon Installer

Installed Phoenix and Uk Turk, nothing else.
Pop a search in on Phoenix and get either no available sources or it just freezes.

So, I haven't used my FireTV stick in a little while now, particularly since TBB died. I only ever really used it to watch movies, as I found trying to watch TV Series to be a bit of a pain with it.

Obviously I still have Kodi, I assume I'll have to do a fresh install of it to wipe TBB from it. My question is, what do I use now? I wouldn't mind being able to watch sports on it too, as I don't have BT Sports, but I do have Sky so it's not a deal breaker... But I want to watch films (such as the new Star Wars). What do you lot recommend, and how would I get it going on Kodi?

Oportation Robocop has all the BT Sport channels in 720p, very reliable, I'm sure the Pulse build will have it added on.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Im trying to install Jarvis on a fresh stick, im at the download page in ES Explorer, but when I click on the 'ARM' link, nothing happens? Exe files etc. All seem to work but obviously arent the right ones.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Trying to find a decent stream for Captain America Civil War, there are a few good quality ones, but I don't know if the bit at the start with the Russians is meant to have subtitles? As so far none o them do.

I get this with Narcos and have to search for a stream with subtitles, but with a film the options are a bit limited.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I watched it yesterday (on the play store) and it should be subtitled. There's a subbed bit later on too iirc.

I really need to sort my stick out as it's well out of date and no things working on it.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
In my experience, films that are either streamed from illicit sources, or torrented rarely have hardcoded subtitles.

Often the region of origin for films on these platforms won't be a country where English is the first language, hence no hardcoded English subs.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
What are people's latest builds they are using?
I still find mine pretty poor and slow. Currently using the 'paradox' build. Not changed it for months

I did have firestarter on it too which was handy for updates but Amazon have cracked down on that now I think