ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

And so it begins, 1.2 172 swap.

LY 182
never that bloody simple though is it, after quite alot of messing about. no a monumental amount of messing about,,, i finally have 95% of the parts i need.
engine arrived today, so went straight up on the stand for a bit of a clean
Image0022-1.jpg

Image0033.jpg

and my pile in the corner of the workshop lol...
Image0044.jpg

its all getting a bit of a paint/polish up, still undecided wether the heads coming off for a mate of mine to work his magic on or not..
but whatever happens progress pics etc will be on there way:D

M

mini-valver

Take the head off mate, might aswell! Get the belt done anyway I'd imagine....

Should be good!

LY 182
yeah doing the belt and waterpump anyway got matched inlets to go on it.
already got a list as long as my arm of bits i need from renault not sure if a head set and bolts is going to push me over the edge a tad.
we shall see

any of you dialogys users fancy sorting me out some rough (only need to be rough) trade prices of the following

lower+upper inlet gaskets, ex manifold gasket
cat to manifold and cat to mid section fitting kits
cambelt kit inc all seals
water pump

other bits il get elsewhere

cheers

Evo 6, E92 320d
Let me know how you get on with the brake adapters, unless you plan on changing the hubs over. Got Jordan on the subject too so 1st one wins lol.

LY 182
it will be all built up ready to go in the car by sunday lol, thats if i decide not to pull the head off.
still undecided about calipers too im crap at decision making lol may end up going to hispec and getting some 4pots for 172 sized discs

M

mini-valver

Headwork while its out. You'l regret it else! What's the rush!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
hehe its always the same as soon as its in and your used to power ull kick yourself for not doing headwork!

should be awesome when its running mate, what you doing exhaust wise?

LY 182
hehe its always the same as soon as its in and your used to power ull kick yourself for not doing headwork!

should be awesome when its running mate, what you doing exhaust wise?
undecided as im going to be putting cams in it eventually but im far to impatient to wait and save untill i can afford them before it goes in
may do the headowork then..

exhaust wise ive got 172 manifold at the moment a 172 cat i'll probably be going down the decat route dependant on how much renault want for my list and a new stainless magnex cat back (which i already dont like)

LY 182
i expect a full step by step guide as this is what ill be doing in a year or so :)
step one - dont bother, just buy a sport :rasp:

the way i've planned it the conversion itself should be the easy part, getting all the parts together is nothing short of a nightmare

alien green rs133
i expect a full step by step guide as this is what ill be doing in a year or so :)
step one - dont bother, just buy a sport :rasp:

the way i've planned it the conversion itself should be the easy part, getting all the parts together is nothing short of a nightmare

we have loads of clio and sport bits you will not believe, (clio sport rally car :eek: ) so not short of the bits but its the exucution of how to put the two litre into existing car, is it best to replace whole wiring loom??? etc

LY 182
you basically need the entire front end of the car give or take.

im having to mix and match due to wanting to keep the best condition parts on my car

if you have all the parts infront of you guarenteed i would quite happily do the job in 2 days

Last edited:
C

Cupster

Buy a 172 then use the stuff you have already and put two engines in that sucker lol

LY 182
lol.
had the sump off tonight checked the shells they dont look like they have done any work
nice clean oil in there.
so all back on gave it a lick of engine paint,, should be dry for tommorow/sat when i'll throw a belt kit on it and start to build it back up

LY 182
oh dear god.......
got the engine out tonight car came in at 5 i had the engine out ready to go and remove a plenham for b16doe by 6.

found a few niggly problems but im sure i'll get there in the end
got a nice 182 manifold and cat to throw on there,, im back there at 6 tommorow morning so more pics on there way!

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

LY 182
what a nightmare,, made some good progress today though engines in ready for the dash wiring to be done

i knew i had a problem with the 172 engine loom a section was cut off but couldn't sus what it was, now worked out it was for abs and the complete lighting on the front of the car.
so thats taken me alot of time working out what does what and splicing it in to the 1.2 loom,, few pics i took.
for those interested i used complete 1.2 running gear inc 1.2 subframe i modified to fit the lower mount.

all ready to go in
DSC00009.jpg

then as if by magic
DSC00013.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

then all bolted up/plumbed in etc
DSC00020.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

then started pulling the dash to bits
DSC00026.jpg

and how i left it tonight
DSC00028.jpg

not bad for a days work i dont reckon :)

LY 182
thats the plan mate,, although just a runner will do first lol.
cheers to b16doe aswell for collecting the polished plenham from the other side of the world lol

oh and spec so far..

182 manifold
decat being made
full magnex
matched inlets

when its running i'll get it remapped., be interested to see what it makes

A

ashy_gtt

Interesting Project this, what are you doing with the dash? I've got a 172 dash to fit into my R5 and I'm wondering about the wiring...

Do you have any decent wiring diagrams for the 172 electrics?

looks like a good project....did you pick up the engine with the box and wiring etc all at once, or do it bit by bit?

LY 182
ashy, the dash i have a 172 dash loom and uch etc but i have different looms from different cars so theres been alot of messing about cutting and joining wires
luckily all the multiplexed stuff was complete so i was able to sus most of it out with a power probe, i have no diagrams to go on.

same with the lights.. the 2 engine looms i was sent both had the interior connection/vehicle lighting section cut of the them, so today after fitting the dash loom i spent the rest of the day figuring out feeds for all the lights and splicing them in to the 1.2 loom.

so far i've got headlights, mainbeam, sidelights and indicators+ side repeaters working, still got fogs and the headlight levlers to wire up.

ive got the fuel pump priming (after loads of pissing about finding a knackered relay) and it was cranking over but i have a burnt out starter motor (i have a 182 manifold which sits completely over it)

so basically all thats left is get the immobiliser coded, swap the rear loom (plugs are different) then wire up the doors myself (more cutting and joining, again the plugs are different)

my experience so far of doing this conversion is its far from plug and play.. my advice to anyone considering it is unless you can get hold of a full and complete engine, dash, rear and door looms from a cup its not worth doing as there is so much to work out for yourself

LY 182
and yeah, i picked up the lot in one go but since then im on the second engine (first one had a problem) 2 engine looms and various other bits are mixed and matched so yeah a bit of a nightmare

LY 182
nope staying as is.
not much progress couldnt get motivated tonight, ive now got all the front and rear completely wired up.. still need to figure out how the hell im going to wire the doors and plug a few bits and peices in under the seats
then need a new starter new alternator,,
get the immobiliser coded
try to start it go through the endless faults and try get it running

then somehow i need to figure how to mate the 182 manifold and cat up to the 172 magnex system

Mondeo TDCI 130
Image0033.jpg

Good progress there matey!!, Just one query, where did all those million year old cars come from that got in that pic??!!! It looks like the picture was taken 10 years ago!!:clown: