ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anybody in the south-west with cams, an RS2 or TB's?

LY 172
Wooooo. I actually understand every word of that.
Cheers for the essay. Was that all freshly written or have u got this all written down somewhere?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No I just wrote that then mate, thats the sort of stuff I write about a lot in magazines though so not the first time I have written similar, I just worry more about spellchecking and punctuation if Im getting paid to write it, lol

LY 172
my hands have gotten far to lazy recently to be typing things that long, especially as im on my phone 90% of the time.

who do you write for ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH that took me 2 mins or so to write, I can type monstrously quickly providing im not trying to be mega accurate. (30 years of computer programming etc)

In the last 12 months I have written for:
Total Vauxhall
Fast ford
Performance French car (although that was only a feature about the turbo 172 clio from MWM)

But its something Im winding down a lot now TBH as I just dont have the time these days, and also most magazines are cutting back on freelance budgets so rates are dropping too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not going to happen down at that level I suspect, I know the cost James pays for a lot of the component parts and there is far less profit in an RS2 than most people probably realise, TBH by the time you take into account it generally takes quite a few hours labour to build one (lots of drilling holes in very tough carbon etc) he really cant bring the price down much even on bulk orders or he basically ends up working for free.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its a silly amount of money to be spending on a couple of grand car TBH, but then hobbies dont always have to be sound investments, lol

LY 172
That's the exact argument I have with myself every day. It's my only hobby now. As I've given all the others up. I'd previously spent near enough £800 on RC cars. And god knows how many thousands on boats. Only to use them once a month. Where as my car I use every day :)

172 Sport
My theory too, I don't drink (ok I do), I don't smoke (ok I do), I don't gamble and I don't cheat on my missus. So if I want to spend my money on cars I will ;) She got the hump when she found out I'd spent 7K on my A3 in 18 months, so I had to do something to hers lol

Cams, RS2, general awesomeness I think. I can't wait to have a go in Chips :)

LY 172
I don't drink. (often) but when I do the wallet takes a good hit. I don't know how u guys get so much to spend on cars lol. No misses, and I still can't afford the RS2

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont really have any other hobbies that arent car related really, which is a bit sad in a way I guess!
I spend probably 15-20K ish a year on cars (half that doing trackdays and half on buying and modifying cars and taxing and insuring and MOTing them all etc etc), but historically Ive covered a fair chunk of that with spending my spare time doing motoring journalism, which probably covered about 1/3rd of it, and in the past when I was doing a lot more mapping of cars for people that probably topped it upto well over half that, so it was kind of a self financing hobby in a way. These days I dont really have enough time to do those things much at the moment for the extra income but on the other hand im working more in my main roles so my wages are good enough right now that I can comfortably afford it anyway, so I still dont feel too bad about it not paying for itself as much anymore.
Luckily for me my mrs enjoys all the trackdays just as much as I do, and so she pays a lot towards them from her wages too, so that helps as well, although the down side is that means yet more cars on the go at once so more maintainance and modifying etc so even more time gone, but lukcily she helps out with the spannering anyway so it sort of balances out (she fitted the RS2 as well as buying it for example)

172 Sport
My wife is pretty rad like that, she loves modifying her cars and things as well as does the odd track day. Doesn't mean she doesn't shout at me for spending money though haha.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like you have a good one too then mate.

This is my one out on the drive fitting the RS2 in the pissing rain cause I was using the garage and she didnt want to wait, lol

85adf075.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would kill for a garage...:(

I'd be screwed without some with all the cars we have.
Ive got a single at my place, a double at my parents I use, my uncle has one I store parts in and me and my mate have a workshop for about 3 cars or so that we built over at his farmhouse.

Normally got about 4 or so projects on the go at once, so just wouldnt be an option not to have plenty of garages.

Would like to get a big workshop again like I used to have, but its justifying the cost.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Without labeling your wives as items, I need one of those ;)

Could do with a few more of them myself if they were like this one, but I have heard that like a lot of software if you have multiple versions installed at once can cause conflicts.

172 Sport
^^lol!

That's what I miss about being at home the most :( When I moved out of my mums and came down here I left a double garage at the house, and my dads workshop which has a two post ramp, a 4 post ramp, a pit and is full to the bring of snap on :( I get a bit frustrated having nowhere to properly work on car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd kill for a ramp, sadly the roof at our workshop isnt high enough though:

fc9d4429.jpg

Nor in the double garage I use at my parents:

1235bd46.jpg

(rare shot of the 4 of them together there, parents were on holiday so I spent a few days at there gaff moving the engine from the blue one to the yellow one)

172 Sport
Hmm, but it looks to have S2 wheels. Anyway, I love them they are awesome!

So what Clio's have you got then? You have got quite a few, what's the specs?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Was a derv powered one but he put all the S2 bumpers and lights and stuff on it.

The 4 clios are:
Phase 2 172 - F4R with RS2
Phase 1 172 - Standard and a big minging (the mrs is restoring the paint etc at the moment)
Yellow Mk1 - Williams F7R on a custom inlet I made thats kind of similar to an RS2
Blue Mk1 - Weighed it in last weekend, previously had the williams lump in but I nicked it for the yellow one, lol

Yellow one will be vtec turbo powered longer term, have just put the F7R in for a couple of months as it was a direct fit and allows me to get the dash and Autronic ECU etc talking to each other.

acc32c79.jpg

6fba027e.jpg

90a7ff9a.jpg

172 Sport
That digi dash is awesome!

The RS2 looks such a nice fitment, I love the way it doesn't shout at you. And what sort of power and modifications does the RS2 have?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Don't know power since mapping it, need to go back on rollers at some point, going by the fuelling it takes though about 180 ish, as for spec its a standard high miles (140k) engine with an rs2, nothing very special about it, it's only the mrs daily driver.

172 Sport
Right, have squared it all off with the missus and I am not free that day. Seeing as she will be doing a lot of the driving of the car, and it's a decent chunk of money do you mind if she comes along with me too?

:)

172 Sport
Haha, not to mention my missus is massive ;)

I think I'll leave her at home, she can get what she's given and like it lol

172 Sport
Thanks Chip haha! I am still looking at all of the above, but not for 6 months now. Stupid comission based jobs and people not buying cars :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Better off the other way around?
Intergra (if you mean DC2) is 1.8 so lower class, and far better car than the clio what with having an LSD etc