ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone else on virginmedia 20meg BB ??

I must be lucky then, i've been getting a consistant 2400kb/s since I was upgraded to 20MB. When I was on 10MB I used to get shite speeds.

If you download 3Gb within the shaping period you'll still only get a 1mb connection... that's how it works (or supposed too lol)

engineer been today

i was at work

however he managed to get a 13mbit connection on a dodgy speed test site.. well done.
shame i got home to find my download speeds at 89kb/s!

rang up raging..

they ringing back within 24hrs

virgin media should die

ntl was fine for years

engineer reckoned it was due to the cable feed to my hous ebeing split to 3 ntl boxes and a broadband line

however i've just connected the broadband STRAIGHT to the incoming line and still the same.

its been moved to the customer concern department now apparantly. and im getting all the 25p/min techy centre calls rebated.

the indian bloke who answered started giving me the 1minute bullshit explaining the call costs, as soon as he started i said i know so shut up and it wont cost me as much.

bit rude but after coming home from a 12hr shift at work and the internets STILL not fixed.. i saw red..

Last edited:
makes you laugh, they advertise that other providers through ADSL will quote you a speed you wont achieve

ok so they quote 24mb and you get 18 sometimes.

virgin media you pay for 20mb and get less than 1mb unless its from 1-6am where you will get 18..

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
lol yeah, i know i never was going to get the full 24mb from Be due to distance from the exchange, they told me I was only going to get 18mb, I was connected at 19mb and with a litte tweaking i now get 23mb :)

newsgroup noob here, just signed up

455kb/s.. nice!

should be 2500 at 20mb!

any virgin techies in here?

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 31
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 7.5 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.7 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

need to know if my power levels are right

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
yeah, thats the way to get good service Guy, act like a nob end. Well done!
I love the fact when people ring up they think shouting will get them seen to quicker and a better level of service. Just makes people want to help you less tbh

The NTL side of the company is the trickiest part, experiencing the most problems at the moment. As has been said, virgin are aware of the problems and fixing them

Manners on the phone do not cost anything

Tesla MP3 2021
yeah, thats the way to get good service Guy, act like a nob end. Well done!
I love the fact when people ring up they think shouting will get them seen to quicker and a better level of service. Just makes people want to help you less tbh

The NTL side of the company is the trickiest part, experiencing the most problems at the moment. As has been said, virgin are aware of the problems and fixing them

Manners on the phone do not cost anything

Virgin customer services is s**t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! get over it!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Not all their c.s is s**t. I have experience of their centres and work within one of them (not on the phones I may add) and if you are polite and treat them as you would expect to be treat you will be fine. I know if it had been me you were shouting at I wouldnt have done anything different than if you had come through and been polite. Except when you had gone I would have realised what a prat you appear to be for having that attitude.

Im sure you wouldnt like it in your job if people start ranting and raving for no good reason. It isnt the operators fault you have a problem, it is the companies. This generation really is leading the country down the sh1tter

''This generation really is leading the country down the sh1tter''

id say it was the use of useless call centres reading from a script in india personally.

plus the fact of so many shite companys with no customer service

couple with the immigration levels, and also youth.

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Mines rubbish, got an 'upto' 8 Meg connection but have never got over 2.5. Been onto ISP (Nildram) so many times with no joy, given up on them now. On one occasion they said 'if I'd bought a car with a quoted top speed of 150mph I would expect the car to do it' probably not I replied but I would expect it to go over 50mph.

Just another example of incompetent British service. This country is so crap now.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
So would you rather pay extra for the service to have all call centres British?

Or would you be like 99% of the rest of the people and ring up to do anything you can to have the price lowered, meaning that companies look to outsourcing?

lol you make me laugh..

ive had my price reduced... because im getting 1/20th of the service i should be getting!

20mb broadband is £38
and for this they are delivering less than 1mb for half the day.

luckily all morning ive had around 4mb-8mb which has been the best day ive had since my 20mb ''upgrade''

i wouldnt mind paying full whack IF THEY PROVIDED THE SERVICE.

norwich union tried making more profit by moving call centres to india to provide diabolical customer ''care''
what happens?
people get so frustrated that they leave
i moved to directline, they have their call centres over her and understand about the english road system because they use it instead of reading off a script. (oh and directline were cheaper!)
so less customers = less money meaning they HAVE to close the couple of call centres left in england, pushing more work to the indians, and then more people leaving.

just one big slippery slope.

when i rang up to cancel i somehow managed to get through to the scottish call centre and he asked why i was leaving and i said cos im fed up of ringing up indian callcentres and being stuck on the phone for hours trying to explain simple things and he said fair enough thats whats happeningwith alot of customers.

its like me working in an english call centre to deal with the south african law department... different cultures and laws we know nothing about. all we can do is read off a script.

but thats a different matter. the useless indians reading from a script are just the icing on the cake from the diabolical company that is virgin media, if only there was an alternative in my town :(

my case has been moved to the 'customer concern department' and i should have a call within 24hours..

theyve got 5 and half hours left before they get another call..

Last edited:
theres a lad on one of the cable forums thats in the same boat

hes given virgin media 30 days notice to rectify the problem otherwise he is having his BTline reconnected and going ADSL.

and he WORKS for virgin!

think theres about 25 days left.

Tesla MP3 2021
theres a lad on one of the cable forums thats in the same boat

hes given virgin media 30 days notice to rectify the problem otherwise he is having his BTline reconnected and going ADSL.

and he WORKS for virgin!

think theres about 25 days left.

lol

It's only when the traffic shaping is in place, I get awesome speeds during the day.

I complained about the 10mb service and they upped me to 20mb half price for 6 months, would be I really bothered if I were paying full price for phone/broadband, damn right!

check my newsgroups thread..

been getting 450kb/s all day (from 7am - not during traffic management period), gets to 5.30pm and it shoots up to 2000kb/s

during peak time!

will see how it is tomorrow.. if its crap at 10/11am then i'll be ringing up again

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I've been with telewest/blueyonder since day 1 (litteraly) then virgin showed up and its been s**t... nuff said.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I tried downloading a file from VM demos and achieved a rate of 1696 kb/s.

1.18MB/s - 1.8MB/s newsgroup download speed.

My Speedtest results for tonight were

156706015.png

URL%5D

I tried downloading a file from VM demos and achieved a rate of 1696 kb/s.

1.18MB/s - 1.8MB/s newsgroup download speed.

My Speedtest results for tonight were

156706015.png

URL%5D

have you been shaped down to 5mb?
20minutes at 2400kb/s will hit the 3gig evening usage limit and shape you down to 5mbit.....

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
anyone who downloads that amount in an evening deserves to be cut down for a few hours.

If you seriously need that amount you must either be

a) watching about 3 movies at the same time
b) downloading stuff that is more than likely going to be illegal
c) a business user who should be on a business package

Why should average users have to sacrifice their speeds to satisfy people downloading more than their fair share?

Citroen DS3 DSport
1st 512K took 398 ms = 1286.4 KB/sec, approx 10600 Kbps, 10.35 Mbps
2nd 512K took 556 ms = 920.9 KB/sec, approx 7588 Kbps, 7.41 Mbps
3rd 512K took 514 ms = 996.1 KB/sec, approx 8208 Kbps, 8.02 Mbps
4th 512K took 450 ms = 1137.8 KB/sec, approx 9375 Kbps, 9.16 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 8943 Kbps, 8.74 Mbps

Test 2 - 20 minutes later

Wed, 18 Jul 2007 22:53:26 GMT

1st 512K took 385 ms = 1329.9 KB/sec, approx 10958 Kbps, 10.7 Mbps
2nd 512K took 277 ms = 1848.4 KB/sec, approx 15231 Kbps, 14.87 Mbps
3rd 512K took 276 ms = 1855.1 KB/sec, approx 15286 Kbps, 14.93 Mbps
4th 512K took 300 ms = 1706.7 KB/sec, approx 14063 Kbps, 13.73 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 13885 Kbps, 13.56 Mbps

The Speedtest result I posted earlier was obtained during my first 5 minutes of net use today so should have no restrictions.

Last edited:
rang home about 11pm and talked someone through using the speedtest site...

875kbps

instead of 20480kbps

less than 1/20th of the service

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
anyone who downloads that amount in an evening deserves to be cut down for a few hours.

If you seriously need that amount you must either be

a) watching about 3 movies at the same time
b) downloading stuff that is more than likely going to be illegal
c) a business user who should be on a business package

Why should average users have to sacrifice their speeds to satisfy people downloading more than their fair share?

Your right, we should be penalised for using a service we pay good money for. :rolleyes:

Nobody asked them to up it to 20mbit and then be capped to 5 !

id have rather have 10 that works at 10 constantly, than have 20 between 3 and 8am then 1-4 for the rest of the day..

since ''upgrading'' to 20mb, today has been the best day, ive managed to get a good 4mb connection all day, and even saw it hit 18ishmb at 5pm, only to be back down to less than 1mbit by 10/11 when traffic shaping should have ended...