ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone else on virginmedia 20meg BB ??

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
can we have anoither update, its hard going more than an hour without you running a test for us all to see.

Te best argument anyone can ever use is "its been crap since virgin media took over, everything was better before then"

Its the same company ffs! Sma epeople run it, same network etc. Only difference is they bought the rights to use the virgin name.
Like I said before, if you dont like the fact you can download less than 3gb between certain times move onto a business plan. I download more than the average person and would be lucky if i go over 1gb a day on a and thats if I decide to download allsorts.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Strangely my speeds have only dropped since I downgraded from the VIP package last week, prior to this the speed was excellent. I'm still on the 20mb connection so I don't know why it's slower now.

wow.. 1.40pm and STILL at 2mb/s!

stopped downloading anything so will see what happens at 4pm as i shouldnt be traffic shaped at all.

andy - its been crap since virgin ''upgraded'' everyone to 20mb and didnt bother investing money into the network to handle it. instead chose to traffic shape people as a cheap way of getting round it and this just punishes the people who come home from work at 5 and just want to go on the internet for a couple of hours to browse stuff, even watching a youtube video has been impossible in the evening because they have been shaping everyone not just the heavy users.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b

this just punishes the people who come home from work at 5 and just want to go on the internet for a couple of hours to browse stuff, even watching a youtube video has been impossible in the evening because they have been shaping everyone not just the heavy users.

No they havent. True they have had a few teething problems but it is the exception and not the rule.

If it was so bad and the networl couldnt handle it e wouldnt be currently testing 50mb

Citroen DS3 DSport
Results for tonight show I'm still nowhere near maximum speed. VM customer care told me they are having problems with BB but to find out more I'd need to speak to the 25p p/min tech support guys. I declined because whenever I've had to deal with them in the past they are clueless.

Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:37:25 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 679 ms = 1508.1 KB/sec, approx 12427 Kbps, 12.14 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 893 ms = 1146.7 KB/sec, approx 9449 Kbps, 9.23 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 824 ms = 1242.7 KB/sec, approx 10240 Kbps, 10 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 2469 ms = 829.5 KB/sec, approx 6835 Kbps, 6.67 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 9738 Kbps, 9.51 Mbps

Citroen DS3 DSport
They sure do and it must be a bad joke because those guys are crap. Turn it off and on is about as technical as they get.

MINI Cooper S

this just punishes the people who come home from work at 5 and just want to go on the internet for a couple of hours to browse stuff, even watching a youtube video has been impossible in the evening because they have been shaping everyone not just the heavy users.

No they havent. True they have had a few teething problems but it is the exception and not the rule.

If it was so bad and the networl couldnt handle it e wouldnt be currently testing 50mb

Andy, Diamond Cable were s**t --> NTL were s**t --> and virgin media are s**t... (the 3 times my cable company has changed names)

The services they offer are good, and are good when they work... but when they go wrong, the customer service is appalling. Our home phone fucked up a few weeks ago, phoned up, they said yea there is a fault, i was like ok when can u get someone to fix it, 1 WEEK AWAY! so i'm a week without a house phone that i am getting charged for, then i said what time, between 12 and 6, so i said there is no one in untill 3, so this stupid woman on the end of the phone said oh well thats the only slot we have, i said well why cant you come after 3? the reply i got 'because we cant' i said well book it for then, but if they come before 3 there will be no one in, then she said that if no one was in when they came, they would charge me £10, i said get fucked no chance i would pay it, she said u will, its company policy, i said is it company policy to charge people for phone lines that dont work for a week then? she didnt answer, anyway, luckily the bloke came at about 5.55.... but still... they are s**t. I also asked to speak to a manager, she said one would phone me back in 24 hours, never did. I phoned back after the repair to speak to a manager about my original phone call, said i would get a call back in 24 hours... never did.... so generally s**t.. end of.

Mental Rant Over... I hate Virgin Media!

Tesla MP3 2021
its not all about offering the fastest and best broadband, it all comes down to the service aswell and it is s**t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

172 Cup
its not all about offering the fastest and best broadband, it all comes down to the service aswell and it is s**t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I find Be* such a refreshing change. When I had one major problem (Due to BTWholesale) it was Be*'s members services manager that called me himself to sort the problem out. That aside Be* have their own private forums for customers which is staffed all day and many of the people on their work in the industry. If there's an outage at an exchange you find out within minutes rather than sit on the phone listening to "there be no problem with exchanges area your thank you muchly".

Tesla MP3 2021
^ damm right, there are going to be problems with every company but some are small and some and foooooking huge lol. I love everything about Be* and I am getting an awesome service :)

oh did you get your free month matey :)

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Anyone who is without service for any period of time just needs to call customer care and they will be refunded for the time they were down. simple.

My sky idsh was blown byu the wind, couldnt get someone out for 10 days and was an all day appointment. Not a lot I could do about it short of going up there myself.

Techs have 2 time slots, between 8-1 and 1-6. The time of arrival cannot be specified at a certain point between these slots. You dont have to be in the house, anyone over the age of 18 can beand they do satrday appointments in most areas as well.

Serious question...if you hate them so much why have you stayed for so many years? if they and the two companies before were so terrible you surely would have left by now? Most problems can be fixed by a call to the right department.

As for been down for 10 days, give customer service a ring in the morning and they will more than likely credit your account for the time you were without service

Tech support is 25ppm not 30. It is to stop people calling with problems that are nothing to do with their service but stuff like "why wont internet explorer play this file?"

If it is a virgin fault you will be recredited the amount you have paid for the call.

Last edited:
  172 Cup
^ damm right, there are going to be problems with every company but some are small and some and foooooking huge lol. I love everything about Be* and I am getting an awesome service :)

oh did you get your free month matey :)

I did cheers mate. I assume you got yours as well?

Monaco 172 2/468
Virgin had class BB when it was 10mb unlimited, since the upgrade to 20 it's a joke.

I would move, but we get the whole package from them, so will probably do that if we move to sky when the 12 months of v+ is up, with it's 1 HD channel woo

Also, we pay £38 a month for this service, damn right we should expect an unlimited service, just like we had before. It's hardly cheap !

MINI Cooper S
Anyone who is without service for any period of time just needs to call customer care and they will be refunded for the time they were down. simple.

My sky idsh was blown byu the wind, couldnt get someone out for 10 days and was an all day appointment. Not a lot I could do about it short of going up there myself.

Techs have 2 time slots, between 8-1 and 1-6. The time of arrival cannot be specified at a certain point between these slots. You dont have to be in the house, anyone over the age of 18 can beand they do satrday appointments in most areas as well.

Serious question...if you hate them so much why have you stayed for so many years? if they and the two companies before were so terrible you surely would have left by now? Most problems can be fixed by a call to the right department.

As for been down for 10 days, give customer service a ring in the morning and they will more than likely credit your account for the time you were without service

Tech support is 25ppm not 30. It is to stop people calling with problems that are nothing to do with their service but stuff like "why wont internet explorer play this file?"

If it is a virgin fault you will be recredited the amount you have paid for the call.

I give up on phoning them once they couldn't be arsed to phone me back when they said they would, i might just not be arsed to pay my bill next month and see how long it takes them to phone me then...

Tesla MP3 2021
^well it took then 4 months to realise that i hadn't payed them becuase they cancelled my dd. lol

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
yeah, be stubbourn and mess your credit rating up. Good one! Then you will it still be their fault when you are cut off for not paying?

Some people really are clueless :D

If you are unhappy at the serivce and want to complain, the best way of doing it, and the one that will get you the best response is by writing to the swansea address on the back of your bill

It takes more than 4 months to integrate two very seperate companies and try and get rid of all the bad elements that have been inherited when they merged. Everyone is aware of what problems exist and are working to fix it all.

There is a hell of a lot of new content coming out for the tv, most of which i cant disclose at the moment anyway, the BB issues are being worked upon and I dont deal with the phone side so not sure what is been lined up there.

I have the pleasure of been a sky customer as I live in a non cabled area and let me tell you the grass isnt greener on the other side. I have had many run ins with sky for loss of service, faults with the dish and box.

Its a fact of life things will go wrong from time to time, just report it amd it will get fixed.

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
As I have said there are problems with all companies I have had running’s with Sky myself but I class the service that Virgin offer is the worst.
I work in the customer focused business myself so I know what to accept and if I was to use the same style of service that I and many other people on here have experienced from Virgin then the company I work for would be in the shitter.
I now deal with massive companies and their telecoms and to give you an idea the highest spender is somewhere around 850k per month so I know about good service.

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
yeah, be stubbourn and mess your credit rating up. Good one! Then you will it still be their fault when you are cut off for not paying?

Well they didnt cut me off at all in the 4months, I just came to use my service oneday and it didnt work. So rang techincal thinking there was a problem and after 10 or so minutes to a Indian guy I was put through to cs to discover my account had been suspeneded :S . I asked them do virgin media not know how to send out letters or to pick up a phone and call me. :rolleyes:

Monaco 172 2/468
There is a hell of a lot of new content coming out for the tv, most of which i cant disclose at the moment anyway, the BB issues are being worked upon and I dont deal with the phone side so not sure what is been lined up there.

Can you disclose some of it :D I'd deffo stay if we were getting more HD stuff, thats the only thing thats pissing me off with the tv side really

172 Cup

Can you disclose some of it :D I'd deffo stay if we were getting more HD stuff, thats the only thing thats pissing me off with the tv side really

Sounds like your footy team promising a load of signings simply to shift season tickets and then they never materialise.

1 Series Coupe
I'm on the 20meg from virgin 'supposidly'..

Done afew online speed tests - i know they're not that accurate... BUT they all come back at around 9meg...

MINI Cooper S

If you are unhappy at the serivce and want to complain, the best way of doing it, and the one that will get you the best response is by writing to the swansea address on the back of your bill

It takes more than 4 months to integrate two very seperate companies and try and get rid of all the bad elements that have been inherited when they merged. Everyone is aware of what problems exist and are working to fix it all.

I have the pleasure of been a sky customer as I live in a non cabled area and let me tell you the grass isnt greener on the other side. I have had many run ins with sky for loss of service, faults with the dish and box.

Its a fact of life things will go wrong from time to time, just report it amd it will get fixed.

Why should i write a letter when they wont even call me back when they say they will... TWICE....

Dis-agree with the sky comment, i got rid of NTL for Sky 3 years ago, sky is 100% better, more reliable, better pic, faster, and i can still get sky 1 etc...
However, i have heard that Virgin's HD box's are going to be better than Sky's, but we'll see...

Agree with you on the phone and broadband tho, Virgin do offer the best broadband and phone packages, (its cable, not ADSL, so better more reliable technology) and the phone packages are cheaper than BT (and also BT want a stupid amount to install to my house, because we dont have a wire from the street).

When everything works, Virgin are good, but as soon as something go's wrong, they are s**t s**t s**t...

Their broadband and phone service is good, but their customer service is w**k. And i am sure there is a hell of alot of people who will agree with me. They do have good services, but why cant they have good customer services to go with it!

ive said a few times in this thread there is no alternative in my area.. the exchange is still on the old system and isnt going to be LLU'd anytime soon.
i have had no problems with diamond cable, or ntl, its as soon as virgin decided to ''upgrade'' people to 20meg

yeah the lady at retentions has said shes monitoring my account and crediting all my calls to the tech line. but reading peoples billing problems.. i dont hold much faith, think it will be a call when the bill comes to get it sorted.
i was also told my bills being put down to £29 due to it all

id rather pay £38 and have it working to be fair

but on the plus side, my connection is still at 2mb to newshosting so traffic shaping hasnt shaped me (which it shouldnt have anyway as ive been at work) so providing my service sticks to like it has been today.. then im happy.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I did another test tonight and my speed was similar to the past few nights, 7000kb/s. I decided to connect the Mac directly to the VM modem and achieved this result

157755100.png

I don't know why the router would suddenly be causing a problem though because I was easily achieving the higher speeds while using it a week ago.

sneeks, dont worry about speedtest.net

i get 7-11meg on there

but get 2.35MB.s transfer via cable (through router too!)
or 2.05MB/s transfer via wireless router

bit of a tip too, disable your routers built in firewall.. it took my connection down to 1.8ish!

Citroen DS3 DSport
File downloads are using my full connection speed so all is good tonight :) I switched everything off and rebooted them in sequence and even with the router I'm getting the higher speeds.

this is via newsleecher, just messed around with a couple of connection methods in turn,

speedtest.jpg

am trying to find a way to make my wireless more stable/bit quicker.