ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Astra VXR Nurburgring Progress Thread

Astra VXR NBG ED
Lovely motor!

Can never get my head around the hate for VXR's. Agreed with the comments on sound, they are one of the nicest sounding 4 pot turbo's i've heard. There is a stigma of chav attached to them, but apart from that i like them a lot, fair play! What are the VXR's like for reliability? mate of mine had one and said it was no end of problems, but i was always under the impression they were pretty bomb proof?

Hit and miss really mate, engine block wise they are pretty strong, normally the turbo components or the gearbox that gives up first, or in my case, the keyless entry system ffs!!

240bhp standard, but quite a few dyno at about 250bhp because of the pre cat delete on the Remus system.
Is the correct answer! I'm pretty confident the rollers were quite high for quoting figures, although it did give some accurate figures for some other cars. It's back into Tegiwa in April and i'll get Matt to put it on the rollers there

Great little toy, that

Cheers :up:

TTRS & V50
...but i was always under the impression they were pretty bomb proof?

Really, how did you manage to come to that conclusion. Probably the most unreliable hot hatch you can buy. Most 60k VXR's have been through 2 GB's.

As a side, I love them, regardless of the "chav" stigma (although this is attached to all Vauxhalls), I just couldn't own one.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Really, how did you manage to come to that conclusion. Probably the most unreliable hot hatch you can buy. Most 60k VXR's have been through 2 GB's.

As a side, I love them, regardless of the "chav" stigma (although this is attached to all Vauxhalls), I just couldn't own one.
My mates nurb is on it's 4th gearbox. True story. I still kinda like them though.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I've known a few people to own these and the gearbox does seem utterly hopeless. Don't they get through stem seals and the like a bit too?

Astra VXR NBG ED
I've known a few people to own these and the gearbox does seem utterly hopeless. Don't they get through stem seals and the like a bit too?
Yeah gearboxes are weak, especially if you don't maintain the oil. The issue was the oil was overheating and becoming extremely thin and therfore damaging the bearings.

You can now buy oil coolers for the gearbox now that solves this.

Like most cars, you can upgrade parts for better performance and durability now. Manifolds cracking was another issue, especially when they are over tightened, but again you can even buy tubular stainless Manifolds now even for a standard K04 turbo.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
The link works if you have the app. That looks very nice that mate. Though I can't help with what to look for lol.

Astra VXR NBG ED
Going to view this on weds... anything i need to be looking out for ?

Copy and paste the link below into a web browser as it wont work just by clicking on it for some reason?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201702232595608?aggregatedTrim=VXR&postcode=cv377sh&model=ASTRA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&make=VAUXHALL&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&page=2
Main thing is to listen out for any gearbox wining. And also make sure no white smoke coming from the exhaust. Timing belt and water pump should have been done on it too so ask for proof of that.

Last thing I'd do is Google the Astra pedal test. Do that and you'll see if there is any underlying fault codes stored in the ECU

Tidy example by the looks of it!

Astra VXR NBG ED
Good effort on that weight with a cage!
To be honest, I can only see the weight going up now. I still haven't fitted the front mount which I expect to be heavier than standard. The LSD will add weight also. So I'll probably need to find more weight to get ride of off.

The lads at Tegiwa will help me hopefully! They were on about removing the inner shell but frankly I don't really want to go down that road as then it's pretty irreversible.

Dash along with airbags, steering wheel and air conditioning ( 30KG along) are still to go however and some 17s to reduce wheel weight.

Astra VXR NBG ED
They're about 1230kg standard.
That's the 1.4 weight, they got lazy and just put the same weight for all astras on Google.
I'am sure the Astra is about 1390kg ? I know the Corsa is over 1200kg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's about right, but that weight includes one average driver at 75KG, 90% fuel in the tank ( around 35KG ) and a small amount of luggage and also the standard alloy wheels.
Really? f**k that'a far lighter than I thought they were!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Ah that seems a bit better then, I thought they were similar weight to the Megane.

Still a decent amount out it though, it doesn't look like you have went too racecar with the weight removal either?

Astra VXR NBG ED
Ah that seems a bit better then, I thought they were similar weight to the Megane.

Still a decent amount out it though, it doesn't look like you have went too racecar with the weight removal either?
Yeah I mean, once the driver is out of the weight equation, the fuel etc etc it's probably lost around 100KG. And you can save around 50KG with the front seats alone.

The guys who do the work keep telling me to cut the inner shell out and strip all the wiring etc etc but a part of me wants to be able to put it back together in years to come.

Not sure yet, we'll see!

Astra VXR NBG ED
Unless your planning on turning it into a full race car i wouldn't go that far haha, Just eat less. Or take a dump.
There is plenty of weight to come off me haha! The dash and airbags are still in along with air con so definitely more to go yet!

Astra VXR NBG ED
Haven't seen any threads but is anyone at Bedford on monday. First outing this year since having done most of the work.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Astra VXR NBG ED
Was at Bedford end of may.

Paid *cough* for some really expensive photos

Videos are on YouTube should anyone want to look out for themselves. 22nd May was the date I was there.

Car went reasonably well. Developed a vacuum leak on the last run but went pretty well before hand.
80d8478c62278a78f733934057be585b.jpg
2019cf5b610115d7b7cc0d6b63c59148.jpg
e794466287b11b054b2bf59e765917c4.jpg
39535fc2f66af20a9505f5c30ffc1df7.jpg

Astra VXR NBG ED
Saw a few clios again at rockingham last weekend. Adding in footage if any of you are looking to spot yourselves:)