ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Better straight line speed?

Ph1 T
Im really pleased with how the ph1 is running on track at the minute just feel I lack a little straight line speed.

The car is awesome in the corners handling wise and out braking plenty of better cars than mine (ds3000 pads) just feel as though I'd like that bit more straight line speed, to say its lacking is over the top I'd just like that bit more..

Im getting 438's fitted in February will this help or should I be going abit more on top ie bodies?

Help appreciated

Dan

RB Clio 182
Dont mean to hi jack the thread mate, but im in the same boat so i will be interested in the replys you get.

SQ5
Yep, 3 times.

No point spending £3-4k on ITBs and cams for 210bhp when Turboing or Supercharging can cost from £3k up and your looking at 240+.

I supercharged mine for £3k myself including standalone management and was 250/260bhp and 210/220 lbft.

SQ5
Depends whether you want standalone management or not.

Paul @ RSTuning does a complete mapped package for £4200 I believe.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
booooooooooost!

big_turbo.jpg

535d / t5 caravelle
do these s/c clio's still handle well on track? ( or should i say as well )

SQ5
Of course, why wouldn't they? Suspension is all the same, you just need to learn throttle control out of the bends

535d / t5 caravelle
Just presumed you couldn't nail it as much out of the bends. Due to losing traction

Just presumed you couldn't nail it as much out of the bends. Due to losing traction

After seeing Danny drive you don't loose any drivabilty, you learn to control it.

Cams will make your car faster and more drivable, but for proper noticeable gains you need to go boost. Danny's car is quick, with a lot of usable power.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The only reason anyone in Motorsport has ever had an n/a car is because the rules banned or limited turbos. It's a massively cheaper way to get huge amounts more power, hence all the Motorsport rectrictions on them, if you don't have those rules it's silly not to take advantage of the fact if straightline pace interests you.
You will get more than double the extra bhp for the same money and five times the gains in torque.

ive had a few itb cars and I do like the noise and the way they drive but bottom line is they are far slower than the same car with a turbo would be.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The only reason anyone in Motorsport has ever had an n/a car is because the rules banned or limited turbos. It's a massively cheaper way to get huge amounts more power, hence all the Motorsport rectrictions on them, if you don't have those rules it's silly not to take advantage of the fact if straightline pace interests you.
You will get more than double the extra bhp for the same money and five times the gains in torque.

ive had a few itb cars and I do like the noise and the way they drive but bottom line is they are far slower than the same car with a turbo would be.

This.

If its a track day application and you're not having to adhere to rule books, why on earth would you spend £3000 on bodies for 212bhp when you could go Turbo/supercharged and get 240+bhp for the same money??

RB Clio 182
Tbh ive had petrol turbo cars for the past 7-8 years and since moving to a n/a 182 im really enjoying the drive, i love how more up the revs you get the more power you get.
Especially loving the 5k kick :)

I love how you have to drive it to get the full potential, unlike a turbo car where you never have to change gear lol.

I think i would go throttle boddies, a turbo is just a cheap fan tbh :rasp:

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
This.

If its a track day application and you're not having to adhere to rule books, why on earth would you spend £3000 on bodies for 212bhp when you could go Turbo/supercharged and get 240+bhp for the same money??

I wish you hadn't have said that, I was all for the dog kennel eventually getting ITBs,
but it does make sense that for the same money you get more power from a turbo or S/C.

I'd just be worried about going bang at some point, athough it doesn't seem to bother Toms S/C Cup.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Tbf, if an engines going to go bang, its going to go bang. Its a risk you take.

But if it went bang, strip down what you've got, buy an engine off here for £250, fit all your bits back on and away you go.

When you start forging and uprating cams and s**t, it gets expensive. An expensive clio is pointless.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
That's the thing about the dog kennel, the engine's strong as f*ck,
it's the rest of it that goes wrong, the engine's never gave me any sh*t,
so I think it could take more power without going bang.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Turboooooooooo!!

(Chip reckons he can do it for under £2000 including standalone!)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mine isn't forged yet, did 258 on low boost and 280+ on high.

Even ran the standard bottom end with 2 bar overboost

God knows why other people think these engines don't like a turbo, with such an appalling inability to rev properly they are far better suited to turbo use, they just aren't good engines n/a, the geometry is all wrong!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Turboooooooooo!!

(Chip reckons he can do it for under £2000 including standalone!)

With secondhand parts and no labour charges piece of cake for 2k, that's all mine cost to do when Mwm first built it.
Weve just done another one recently as well (my involvement was just a bit of the mapping with mike, mike and his brother did the spannering) for similar money too.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
If i'm going to spend more on the engine than the whole car's worth,
I might as well go f*cking mental and do it all.

Nitrous sounds like fun though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nitrous is the single most amazing thing to do to an engine performance wise, but the gas costs a lot.

At retail price my sierra costs 50p a second in nitrous.

ideal for drag racing, terrible for a lap of the ring. Lol.

Trafic 140dci
After spending nearly 4k on my ITB's and cams in my previous clio's for just 212bhp I won't do it again. Don't get me wrong in a 900kg Clio I went past standard clio's like they were going backwards. Boost is the way forward if you aren't governed by rules...