ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Better straight line speed?

SQ5
Yep, mine with the 33mm restrictor was circa 250bhp, then added the 35mm and probably done 275 as bombers originally did but then got worse and worse. Regretted it so much as the 250 would of ran all day.

Only thing to take into consideration is that a turbo car is more or less seeing the same engine power as what your pistons are.

Mine being supercharged was probably creating somewhere close to 300 at the pistons but using a lot of power to turn the supercharger so the engine was only creating 250 at the fly if that makes sense?

Ph1 T
Yeah get you..

Yours was making quite good power then would be happy making 230, just need to try and get hold of a 2nd hand ecu can't afford new ATM..

Take it a clio running the sort of power your was that makes a very quick car, am I right in thinking I saw you put yours was as quick as an m3 upto high speeds

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yep, mine with the 33mm restrictor was circa 250bhp, then added the 35mm and probably done 275 as bombers originally did but then got worse and worse. Regretted it so much as the 250 would of ran all day.

Only thing to take into consideration is that a turbo car is more or less seeing the same engine power as what your pistons are.

Mine being supercharged was probably creating somewhere close to 300 at the pistons but using a lot of power to turn the supercharger so the engine was only creating 250 at the fly if that makes sense?

Turbo car had increased pumping losses to turn the turbine side of the turbo, it's a myth that its "free" to drive a turbo, it's a lot closer to supervharger losses than most people realise.

Ph1 T
I just need to get them injectors ordered and an ecu and loom fitted will be stripping the cup down this weekend. Are all the parts needed pretty easy to fit?

I'll be taking them off a ph2 cup and putting them on a ph1.. The engines are the same arent they?

Swapping the sump over will be a little pain in the arse I guess the engine will need wiggling around to get the turbo manifold in and out but nothing difficult. I would be most worried about wiring it all in. PnP ECU solution would be a nice way around that though

Ph1 T
So would I be better getting the engine took out to remove the parts or should I be find while it's all in?

This is Going to be a stressful task for me I can see it lol.. Be worth it in the end

SQ5
Tbh, if you bought a decent Clio for £2k and spent £4500 getting it done properly (I bodged mine in all myself so paid no where near that) you could get an e46 M3 for a little more.

Saying that it was also the same as an E92 M3 which is a £20k car!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Swapping the sump over will be a little pain in the arse I guess the engine will need wiggling around to get the turbo manifold in and out but nothing difficult. I would be most worried about wiring it all in. PnP ECU solution would be a nice way around that though

Sump off isnt a big drama, can be done without moving the subframe, just lift the engine up a bit.

Evo 5 RS
hasn't the GEMS stuff been around for years though? just adapted to work for the clio PNP

You only have to look at how much data the newer ones send across like the GEN90 and EC1 etc compared to the Omex mate, so much more information, obviously does something LOL.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You only have to look at how much data the newer ones send across like the GEN90 and EC1 etc compared to the Omex mate, so much more information, obviously does something LOL.

Does a lot more in terms of CAN interface, talking to dash, running ETB etc, but do you actually want any of that on your performance engine?

Omex 600 might be an antique, but it does everything that you need really to run a turbo engine fairly well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Exactly, Omex 600 is a good reliable ECU with enough features to be useful but without anything very fancy, and pretty much any mapper will have used one before, so easy to find someone to map your car for you if you cant do it yourself.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
So what do you want to see here then?

UK has waaaaay more silly projects! The problem in NL is the prices, everything is too expensive here because of the vendors wanting to make too much money on it. Also we have BPM, if you buy a new or import a car you'll have to pay 30% or so ontop op the price.

i almost buy al my tuning items from the UK or Germany because even including postage it turns out to be way cheaper!

Ph1 T
You'd be paying that for the omex ecu and loom wouldn't you anyway so the gen90 would be the better route to go down?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Makes sense then so the gen90 literally just plugs in and away you go

Yeah pretty much mate. Iirc you have to swap some pins around in the ecu plug dependant on which variant of Clio it's going in (as in, ph1/ ph2) but that's a piece of piss tbh.

I do agree with chip though about the omex being a reliable ecu. A lot of it comes down to your budget and how capable you are at doing things yourself as well.