ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Better straight line speed?

Clio 172
They're still behind places like integrated engineering and APR IMO.

Dahlback racing, JNL , Jeroke Dik to name three very good 1.8T engine builders in Europe. Dahlback racing have been running a 900bhp MKIV golf for about 12 years now if not longer. The Americans were very late to the party imo.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I really cant see much point in arguing about which country had the best VW tuners first, seems of pretty limited interest to the OP who wants to make his clio quicker?

I only mentioned the yanks in the context of the sheer number of them drops the price of parts versus clio ones that was all, didnt intend it to go into some lengthy VW discussion.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I thought your knowledge was all encompassing? ;)

About VWs?

No mate, not something I have had massive dealings with, couple of engine builds and mapped a few and thats about it, other than this corrado 4wd v8 project we are just starting (and im only giving a hand here and there and doing the mapping, the main build will be down to my mate who owns the car)

And I certainly dont bother to follow what country does what first etc, as I tend to do my own thing not copy others anyway.

Hence I have made no comment at all on the order different countries have done things in, you must have mistook one of dan's posts for mine or something. It just doesnt interest me at all, I like engines, I dont care what country people come from or not, other than if there are lots of them like the yanks it helps bring the price of parts down for the rest of us.

Ph1 T
Asked him what ecu he has for it , Its an aem fuel ignition controller but it needs wiring in apparently

535d / t5 caravelle

This is from the airfield, supercharger in the lead. Im now looking through my vids from germany.

edit.

At the end of this video (from 2.15 on) you can see the difference of the two cars pulling away. Im struggling to find the videos of the two blasting side by side on the autobahn :(
[video=vimeo;43048388]https://vimeo.com/43048388[/video]

What power is the sc clio running? are they both stripped out etc? both rapid!

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That aem fic is a poor solution, if you lower the cr at some point in the future to run proper boost you will not be able to advance your timing with it, so go straight to aftermarket now so it's a better long term solution. Just sell that one on and buy an omex or mtech or even a bloody emerald, but for god sake don't use that one, you will only live to regret it.

What power is the sc clio running? are they both stripped out etc? both rapid!

One was really stripped, the sc one not so. Both loaded with spares, camping gear and two people so neither were that light at the time.

Danny never knew what his sc was running, he often estimated over the 250bhp mark. Lewis was running over 210bhp (I think) in the white Clio.

Two quick Clios.

Ph1 T
That aem fic is a poor solution, if you lower the cr at some point in the future to run proper boost you will not be able to advance your timing with it, so go straight to aftermarket now so it's a better long term solution. Just sell that one on and buy an omex or mtech or even a bloody emerald, but for god sake don't use that one, you will only live to regret it.

Best place to get a Omex or mtech from chip?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Best place to get a Omex or mtech from chip?

Well if buying new, from Omex or Mtech themselves is the best bet generally, although in the case of Mtech I did a group buy on them for another forum and consequently can normally still get a bit of discount on them new.
Its Mtech that my turbo runs on, but Omex is probably a better option in terms of more people around to map it, not a problem to me obviously as I do all my own mapping anyway.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
One was really stripped, the sc one not so. Both loaded with spares, camping gear and two people so neither were that light at the time.

Danny never knew what his sc was running, he often estimated over the 250bhp mark. Lewis was running over 210bhp (I think) in the white Clio.

Two quick Clios.

thought it did 230 at FMS/69/Scholar?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Asked him what ecu he has for it , Its an aem fuel ignition controller but it needs wiring in apparently

as far as piggyback controllers go, that's not a bad one. It still won't work properly on a clio, the standard ECU learns around the adjustments you make with a piggyback

Ph1 T
as far as piggyback controllers go, that's not a bad one. It still won't work properly on a clio, the standard ECU learns around the adjustments you make with a piggyback

So Omex is the route to go then am I looking at right one it was about £1300?

Also with it needing meg injectors can they come from any meg turbo engine

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
How much is the ecu and relevant wiring etc? Sorry if its allready been said. And have you picked the car up?

Ph1 T
Getting delivered Tuesday, and not sure about the ecu tbh dan if it's all going to cost a fortune I may even just end up splitting and selling it as its worth more than £1900 in parts, will try and get it all on the ph1 though

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Omex 600 is perfectly upto the job, as is mtec v4. You don't need to a very expensive ecu just to get it working fairly well. I've mapped cars at 400bhp even on basic ecu's like those.

dont get me wrong, I'd much sooner see you on autronic sm4 like i run on my williams engine or similar, but its not actually required and will end up costing you most of what the car just did.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
So Omex is the route to go then am I looking at right one it was about £1300?

Also with it needing meg injectors can they come from any meg turbo engine

GEN90 is £1040 and it plugs straight in. Omex is old technology

Ph1 T
I didn't realise they were around that price tbh,

Danny would the mapping I need doing once all fitted be the same price as any normal mapping or is there more work involved

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
hasn't the GEMS stuff been around for years though? just adapted to work for the clio PNP

nope, chips/boards/processors were new in about 2009/10. 3 times the data file size of an omex 600 in a GEN90. Only 2 aftermarket ECU's have used that chip set, and one has been dropped entirely quite recently

The 600 was a re-hash of a discontinued GEMS Minizeta that had been around since the 90s. should have updated/supersceded it by now but stock car racers still buy it for their pintos. The Omex 710 is a downgraded GEMS EM36 (FBW and CANbus removed IIRC) All runs engines ok, but doesn't do everything else.

oh, and worth noting since i've seen some kind of nagative jibes at GEMS from you before. 3 cars in top 5 at Le Mans this year had GEMS ECU's

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I didn't realise they were around that price tbh,

Danny would the mapping I need doing once all fitted be the same price as any normal mapping or is there more work involved

be in a similar ballpark as anything similar

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
oh i though it was used as a PNP unit in some race series, must've been something else

well there's probably some combination of bits used elsewhere, but it's all very new. That specific ECU was done from scratch basically

Ph1 T
What sort of power do people achieve running low boost on turbo clios? Once I've got the new car Tuesday going to sit down see what makes more sense money wise strip it make abit or put more into it to get it going

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
What sort of power do people achieve running low boost on turbo clios? Once I've got the new car Tuesday going to sit down see what makes more sense money wise strip it make abit or put more into it to get it going

240-250 is a safe reliable output (in relative terms) on a stock engine with a Rotrex