ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blu Ray DVDs

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Pardon my ignorance, but does upscaling work? How can you make a DVD better. I know diff DVD players are better than others at reproducing the pictures. But how can you upscale something?

Pardon my ignorance, but does upscaling work? How can you make a DVD better. I know diff DVD players are better than others at reproducing the pictures. But how can you upscale something?

I once thought the same. I often argued that it couldn't possibly work.

It does.

It can't add information that isn't in the source. I think it adds axtra lines of the same info rather than 'blowing up' and blurring out of native. The DVD of Cars for example looks stunning upscaled.

Progressive Scan should also help when upscaling. Older TV/DVD systems are likely to be interlaced. Prog scan helps to reduce the 'jaggies' that interlacing produces. Ergo you don't seem to notice the jagged edges between scan lines.

That's based mainly on what I've read, but also practical experience between 'i' and 'p' :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
It's quite simple. If you have a Bluray capable player, then buying a DVD instead of the BD means you're so skint you couldn't afford the BD player in the first place.

Wall-E & Transformers are stunning examples of 1080p/24. I swear it was REAL :D I also really enjoyed I Am Legend, but the ransfer wasn't the best. Very poor contrast. So, of course the quality of transfers will vary, just like it did with VHS & DVD, or whatever format comes next :)

Band of Brothers on BluRay is epic. It's the only 'movie' that I've bought on BD even though I already had the DVD.

BluRay FTW. Upscaled DVDs look good too, but only a spanner would choose a DVD over BD if they've already bought a player :)
I got Band of Brothers on Blu-ray for Christmas and I have just finished watching it and OMFG, it is without doubt the best tv series or even film for that matter I have ever seen, it truly is epic and I am actually really disappointed i;ve finished watching it.

I think its the only war portrayal that has given me a real insight into what those guys went through in the war, it was so much down to luck its silly.

it really moved me and I will admit I shed a tear at the end when the real life guys said their piece, what heroes they were, forget 24, lost and heroes, this is without the best thing I have ever seen, and it was a joy to watch in HD sound and Vision.

Clio 182 FF
I got Band of Brothers on Blu-ray for Christmas and I have just finished watching it and OMFG, it is without doubt the best tv series or even film for that matter I have ever seen, it truly is epic and I am actually really disappointed i;ve finished watching it.

I think its the only war portrayal that has given me a real insight into what those guys went through in the war, it was so much down to luck its silly.

it really moved me and I will admit I shed a tear at the end when the real life guys said their piece, what heroes they were, forget 24, lost and heroes, this is without the best thing I have ever seen, and it was a joy to watch in HD sound and Vision.

100% agree and its almost a totally new experiance on bluray too compared to the original DVD.
truely superb

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've had it downloaded in SD and HD and the dvd boxset for ages now but I just had to hold out for the ultimate experience and do it on blu-ray.

I am going to have to watch it again now with the picture in picture, anyone watched it using that, is it any good?

Clio 182 FF
I havent watched it picture in picture before, not really keen on that to be honest.
Ive watched it at least 5 or 6 times on DVD and just once on BLU RAY, loved it.

Evo 6, E92 320d
My fav episode of that is the concentration camps, where they find the starved pows, powerful stuff:(.
Anyway went to hmv this eve and got wall.e and narnia, prince caspian for £30. Wall.e is great, sound and visuals are excellent, shame it wasn't longer.

What I like about BoB is that it doesn't portray the germans in a completely biased, unreasonable and one sided view. There are lots of references to the Germans being great people, and mutual respect from both sides.

Quite bizzare that it all ever happened. But TBH the brits don't have a history of being angels when it comes to conflicts. Our schools teach something quite different to the reality. I like BoB for showing a small portion of the other side of the story :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
My fav episode of that is the concentration camps, where they find the starved pows, powerful stuff:(.
Anyway went to hmv this eve and got wall.e and narnia, prince caspian for £30. Wall.e is great, sound and visuals are excellent, shame it wasn't longer.
i liked the medic ep, those guys still amaze me how someone just calls medic and they are there, even with bombs dropping and gunfire still firing when the guy they are tending to was shot, big balls!

dk

911 GTS Cab
What I like about BoB is that it doesn't portray the germans in a completely biased, unreasonable and one sided view. There are lots of references to the Germans being great people, and mutual respect from both sides.

Quite bizzare that it all ever happened. But TBH the brits don't have a history of being angels when it comes to conflicts. Our schools teach something quite different to the reality. I like BoB for showing a small portion of the other side of the story :)
indeed, both sides were just doing their job, the guys on the front line, they are only doing what they are told and fighting for their country, its a shame the t***s at the top cause all this s**t to then stand back and watch the real men get killed for something they might not even know what they are fighting for

im new at this av stuff but started looking at buying a bluray player and couldnt believe the price of the unit alone. im moving into a house next week and my budget is tight. is there anyway that you can download bluray quality movies to my laptop and play it through a cable from my laptop to my plasma tv.

BG 182 FF
I bought a few blu ray dvds and couldnt wait to watch them cos of what I had heard about how good they were. And i was disappointed it maybe the tv or player but a lad that I work with wasn't to impressed with the blu-ray an his tele is much much better than mine lol. But I have raided HMV buy loads of dvds for £3 you don' get that with blu-ray lol :)

Cliosport 197
100% agree with the band of brothers comment,halfway through watching at the mo.The blue-ray picture and sound quality is superb especially if you have a home cinema system.This by far the best ever programe thats ever been on tv.

I just hope saving private ryan is of the same quality when they bring that out on blu-ray.

dk

911 GTS Cab
im new at this av stuff but started looking at buying a bluray player and couldnt believe the price of the unit alone. im moving into a house next week and my budget is tight. is there anyway that you can download bluray quality movies to my laptop and play it through a cable from my laptop to my plasma tv.
i wouldn't day £250 is expensive for a player, dvd players were more expensive than that a few years ago.

If you want the true HD experience then you need a blu-ray player

dk

911 GTS Cab
100% agree with the band of brothers comment,halfway through watching at the mo.The blue-ray picture and sound quality is superb especially if you have a home cinema system.This by far the best ever programe thats ever been on tv.

I just hope saving private ryan is of the same quality when they bring that out on blu-ray.
private ryan was my favourite war film until I saw BOB and tbh BOB pisses all over it.

wouldnt it just be cheaper buying a ps3 with the bluray player built in though. whats the cheapest you can get players from

a burnt one
Currently watching BoB on blu-ray too, the quality is immense, at the interviews before one of the episodes i could see one of the guys dandruff (or dust) on his shirt and specs of dust on his glasses, it was as if he was sitting next to me.

Planet Earth box set is also a must for anyone with a BR player.

Got that when it was released i think im only on disc 2 though, i have to many gadgets and games and not enough free time.

My laptop has a BR player but to be honest i cant see much difference between that and a DVD, i also dont know how to get a full screen without a 1" black bit at the top and bottom.

SLK 350
BoB on BD seems pointless to me, the fact is was filmed with a grainy texture and a rough edge negates the clarity of BD. I'll stick with my inferior DVD copy :)

Planet Earth is indeed AMAZING, recommended!

BoB on BD seems pointless to me, the fact is was filmed with a grainy texture and a rough edge negates the clarity of BD. I'll stick with my inferior DVD copy :)

Planet Earth is indeed AMAZING, recommended!

Don't agree. HD BoB in 1080p blows my DVD set clean out of the water. It's still grainy, but also very obviously MUCH better looking :)

My laptop has a BR player but to be honest i cant see much difference between that and a DVD, i also dont know how to get a full screen without a 1" black bit at the top and bottom.

You'll never get 16:9 on most laptops without small black bars. The vast majority of widescreen laptops are 16:10 ratio. Sonys new AW series is 18.4" true 16:9. 1920x1080 instead of the more common 1920x1200.

a burnt one
Its not a biggy anyway, ive no intention of using it to play BR discs when i have a perfectly good player, i just had to try it out when i got it, just a gimmick having it on a laptop IMO.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Its not a biggy anyway, ive no intention of using it to play BR discs when i have a perfectly good player, i just had to try it out when i got it, just a gimmick having it on a laptop IMO.
depends on the size of the screen and its resolution really, the bigger the screen the more blu-ray impresses tbh.

On my 17" 19020x1200 laptop its pretty damn good and you can really tell the difference between one and a dvd.

Also, my laptop has a HDMI out and so I can plug it into any HDMI tv and play blurays, so its a portable bluray player too, comes in handy when i go to someones house who doesn't have a bluray player.

a burnt one
depends on the size of the screen and its resolution really, the bigger the screen the more blu-ray impresses tbh.

On my 17" 19020x1200 laptop its pretty damn good and you can really tell the difference between one and a dvd.

Also, my laptop has a HDMI out and so I can plug it into any HDMI tv and play blurays, so its a portable bluray player too, comes in handy when i go to someones house who doesn't have a bluray player.

Got a 17" screen, no idea what resolution it is and it has an HDMI port too, never had it hooked up to a tv though, a laptop is just really mobile p**n.

Means i can have a barclays bank wherever i am in the house:D

I'm not addicted yet to BluRay dvds, although I know I will be over the next year.
With more than 400 DVDs (all legit R2) and only 20ish hi-def films i'll soon be wanting all films on BluRay.

Latest films on BluRay was Batman and Hancock, but I'll only buy BluRay films if they are good graphics - I won't buy a comedy or series of 'The Office' for example.

Clio 182 FF
All the fast and the furious films(not part 4) are out on BluRay in May, cant wait for that.
Van Helsing out april too and finally Bad boys 1 and 2 in May.

Great site for new release info.

a burnt one
All the fast and the furious films(not part 4) are out on BluRay in May, cant wait for that.
Van Helsing out april too and finally Bad boys 1 and 2 in May.

Great site for new release info.

Is there even part four? thought that wasnt released untill late in the year?