ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Blue 197 vs MG in SWANSEA

MG ZR 160
But it had the multispoke wheels, rear discs and flared arches and was like a ryb colour. Unless they are all coming out like that in design???

Ok let's do some Maths.

Your MG is 160bhp and weighs 1145kg.

A 197 is 197bhp and weighs 1240kg.

I know who I'd be putting my money on if both cars were driven flat out.

Last edited:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I didnt "****" off the 197 and i was told they were turbo'd. Next the clio sport is meant to be turbo'd, right? I said the driver looked a bit shocked when we were neck and neck and thought he would blow me away. I didnt say the car was s**t in anyway or form. I do like the 197's and i have nothing against them. Im sure there are loads of threads like this where Someone has done a quickie off the lights with other cars, yet noobs like me get slated.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?598142-Got-a-little-bit-owned-tonight

lol more than likely a 2.0l T

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Clio 200 Cup is 1204kg. Non- Cup 1240kg! So could be about right?

Rover is a 7.4 to 60...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
But it had the multispoke wheels, rear discs and flared arches and was like a ryb colour. Unless they are all coming out like that in design???

Well then one of the following is true:
1) Your car is actually very heavily modified and you just havent noticed the throttle bodies
2) The 197 wasnt running right
3) The person in the 197 wasnt doing a good job of racing you, either cause he couldnt be bothered, or because he doesnt realise he needs to rev his car hard for it to work well
4) You dreamt it

I dont know or care which it is TBH, but the bottom line is that a 197 is noticeably quicker than a MGZR160

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Ok let's do some Maths.

Your MG is 160bhp and weighs 1090kg. 144bhp/tonne

A 197 is 197bhp and weighs 1220kg. 159bhp/tonne

I know who I'd be putting my money on if both cars were driven flat out.

Edited for a bit more accuracy... I personally wouldn't think there would be all that much in it my self.

Megane 225 F1
Yes they are. Don't be silly. Just like the 172s are 172 bhp and the 182s are 182bhp. Oh and the megane 225 is 225bhp.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Never said they are, but at the end of the day 13bhp in power to weight isnt all that much...

Agreed if it were only just that difference in peak bhp for a few hundred rpm, but its not, its a 20-30lbft or so torque deficit for pretty much the whole chunk of the rev range that you use when trying to get up the road quickly (ie the top end of it)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Agreed if it were only just that difference in peak bhp for a few hundred rpm, but its not, its a 20-30lbft or so torque deficit for pretty much the whole chunk of the rev range that you use when trying to get up the road quickly (ie the top end of it)

But you also have differences in gearing and weight which will compensate the torque deficit...

Swift Sport
All the Bhp/weight talk is b*llocks.

Has anyone even considered that one of these clowns couldn't drive?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
But you also have differences in gearing and weight which will compensate the torque deficit...

No they dont, I take it you havent driven the two cars in question? I have and the 160 isnt anywhere near as quick in a straight line (or anywhere else for that matter)

Even the manufacturer claimed 0-60 on the MGZR is 7.4 seconds IIRC which is about half a second off the Clio 197, and the faster you start to go the more the powe advantage starts to come into play as when the speed increases it becomes more about aerodynamics against power and less about weight against power, as reflected in an 8mph difference in claimed top speeds from the two cars.

The clio is just the quicker car, it doesnt matter what metric you go by, it just is.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Everyone knows this is the case -

car_photo_4463_25.jpg

MG infront..pow

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
All the Bhp/weight talk is b*llocks.

Has anyone even considered that one of these clowns couldn't drive?

Yes of course.

Well then one of the following is true:
1) Your car is actually very heavily modified and you just havent noticed the throttle bodies
2) The 197 wasnt running right
3) The person in the 197 wasnt doing a good job of racing you, either cause he couldnt be bothered, or because he doesnt realise he needs to rev his car hard for it to work well
4) You dreamt it

I dont know or care which it is TBH, but the bottom line is that a 197 is noticeably quicker than a MGZR160

Perfectly possible that a mgzr160 won what he thought was a race but the 197 didnt, or that the person in the 197 missed a gear, or changed far too early or any other number of driver errors.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Everyone knows this is the case -

car_photo_4463_25.jpg

MG infront..pow

That 197 in your picture seems to have had a 172 look a like conversion done on it.

And I doubt even EVO mag would have put the MGZR as the quicker car against a 172 even, let alone against a 197.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
No they dont, I take it you havent driven the two cars in question? I have and the 160 isnt anywhere near as quick in a straight line (or anywhere else for that matter)

Even the manufacturer claimed 0-60 on the MGZR is 7.4 seconds IIRC which is about half a second off the Clio 197, and the faster you start to go the more the powe advantage starts to come into play as when the speed increases it becomes more about aerodynamics against power and less about weight against power, as reflected in an 8mph difference in claimed top speeds from the two cars.

The clio is just the quicker car, it doesnt matter what metric you go by, it just is.

I've driven a 200 (the same) and been in a 160. The Clio isn't that much quicker imo.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've driven a 200 (the same) and been in a 160. The Clio isn't that much quicker imo.

Agreed, the clio isnt much quicker, none of the cars in that market is massively quicker than all the others, but the bottom line is that the clio IS quicker by enough of a margin that in a fairly even race (ie both drivers reasonably competent at least and both trying) it would win every single time.