ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bought some new ugly cheap ass Rotas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
:cool:
1d967e16.jpg

Just kidding, I wouldn't buy Rotas. No Sir. These are possibly the only set of Regas this size in the UK (that the SXOC/Driftworks know of anyway). So chuffed :D

9ebbad12.jpg

123e0643.jpg

d7a4b111.jpg

22151054.jpg

Just need tyres, JDM tyte expensive wheel nuts and a refurb.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
They are f**king awesome.

LOL at the Rota box, I bet your heart sank a little when they turned up ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm.

So back on this rota bashing subject...

What you're essentially saying is you would rather have a bad looking wheel with a "cool" name on your car than a good looking one with a s**t name?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
But Gally, they don't look bad. Only to you they do.

Ah you misunderstand, I never said they look bad. I haven't even seen them on the car so I can't comment.

But it does seem to be a genuine theme, it's okay to pay scene tax even thought they might not look as good as somewhat lesser brands that are half the price.

It's nothing to do with scene tax it's about wanting a style of wheel and wanting it to be of decent quality.

The only comparison I can make is a mate of mine who bought some fox alloys for his RS turbo. We span them up on the wheel balancer prior to fitting the tyres and all was ok (checking the courier hadn't damaged them) the mere act of clamping the jaws on the tyre fitting machine on buckled the s**t out if them.

Rota are the far eastern equivalent. The fact they're a bunch of design copying cynical pikeys only adds insult to injury. If they didn't directly copy decent wheels they'd have little to no business at all.

Ah you misunderstand, I never said they look bad. I haven't even seen them on the car so I can't comment.

But it does seem to be a genuine theme, it's okay to pay scene tax even thought they might not look as good as somewhat lesser brands that are half the price.

You have said Regas look bad before ;). They look the same as what I have now, just an inch bigger and silver.

Anyway. Rota Slipstreams are the copies of these. The Rotas aren't forged, aren't made in as heroic sizes, and still aren't that cheap.

For instance, my 17" ones are 17x8" and 17x9". The biggest slipstreams appear to be 17x7.5".

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks dudes. I understand where you guys are coming from. And of course you can see why people do buy cheap.

To be fair there will always be a market for cheaper standard of wheel.

The brits see the cali boys rolling with 4k worth of wheel on their car and want a piece of the action for a fraction of the price. British mentality to be fair.

Yeah but predominantly it's pre-pubescent teens that want the look for sod all money.

Then there's the old boys who spunk a fortune on big power cars, think s**t I need some wheels to fit in at *Insert car show here* so they see the Time Attack guys etc on Rotas and copy them.

Turbos.
Yes. It is society, not an inherent British trait. In other words, pesky kids.

See what Gaz is saying. Its like chumps who buy K-Sport brakes because they see them on drift cars, so they must be good. Yeah, 'cos drifting is all about brakes...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
More like a look at me type buy? Even though the car will do 30mph all day everyday and never see a track or a drifting contest!

CS is no different tbh. The usual "what's da cheapest set of coilovers dat gets real lowz" I'd also wager that if Turini's were expensive forged superlight rims and Rota brought out a replica made of cheese for a fraction of the price 95% of the muppets on here would be rocking Rota's.

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Yes. It is society, not an inherent British trait. In other words, pesky kids.

See what Gaz is saying. Its like chumps who buy K-Sport brakes because they see them on drift cars, so they must be good. Yeah, 'cos drifting is all about brakes...

to be honest... drifting does rely heavily on breaks.... however the reason that most uk drift cars run the k sport s**t (and it is s**t) is because they are sponsored by them... so they get free calipers etc and free replacements when they bow and leak lol!

Snotter's
its partly people want to do things on a budget and partly snob value imo, people assume if its cheap it must be rubbish which isnt always the case!!!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
im talking from experience! when i had my 200 i had "cheap" coilovers... they were back breaking and in the space of 8 months 3 of the 4 shocks spit their dummy and started leaking... i replaced with a newer version... same thing happened again, every mot i had to replace atleast one shock...

i have had experience of k sport brakes when my mate had them fail on him we took them off and they were leaking as they had warped! also the caliper mounting brackets had cracks in them! and seen k sport disk bells with cracks in them too!

i have no problem with cheap... but when it comes to safety equipment, the parts that are the most important on a car brakes, suspension etc... buying cheap is stupid! i have a set of ohlins coilovers on my fd and they are comfortable to drive with if you want a relaxing drive and work so well when pushing the car...

its like places that make cheap exhausts for jap cars, i had sooo many issues on my 200 with them not being aligned properly!

lets say a bmw m3 came on the market for 30k you know its got hours of research and all the best possible parts... now some other company comes along... makes a copy that looks the same... has a performance sort of like the BMW version... but was built in china, mass produced, with cheap materials, twice the weight... and it costs 20k.... which would you buy?

buy cheap buy twice... simple... cant afford it... save! stop giving companies money for copying and ripping off other companies designs its just not fair to the original company! its no surprise that genuine items cost so much lol!

if someone came on here and made a post saying they just bought a new watch and its badged up as a tag... but its fake... people would **** them off lol! how is people buying fake/copied wheels any different?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
^ You can't use the watch theory as they are using the brand name to sell their fakes.

Cheap products simply use their own name. From a design pov that's for the lawyers to decide.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I cant see a problem with either.Especially with wheels.

You make your choice and take the risk.And as ive said before what young lad has a 2k 200 and can then afford a 4k set of rims for it.

I think it tends to go along the lines of someone who has a 25k budget will buy the 20k car and spend the rest on wheels,so theres a market for both customers with genuine and fake,
Someone is just filling a gap in the market...

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
But Gaz has bought genuine wheels. And they cost him barely any more than a set of Rotas, if at all.

So that's that argument blown out of the water.

I'm still waiting for a justified excuse for the cynical copying of pretty much every high end forged Japanese wheel. Rather than them making an honest business out of a budget wheel of their own design and building a business off the back of either their aesthetics or as a solid well made budget wheel.

While they may not wear the branding you get on a Chinese copy Rolex that Malice used as an example it's glaringly obvious they directly copy the real thing in order to generate business, especially from those who will buy with the intent of putting volk/rays/rega etc stickers on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.