ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Bye Bye Skoda, Hello GT86.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I think I've seen that white one at a Sunday Service. Really is spot on, nothing over the top, he's got it just right.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I think I've seen that white one at a Sunday Service. Really is spot on, nothing over the top, he's got it just right.
Yeah he's been at a few of them!

The wing just suits it so well. Not many cars could pull it off, but the GT86 sort of just works. I kind of want to put a "Rhino Lip" on the front of mine, even at standard ride height I think it may make it look a bit better. Rear lights needed too... been let down on a set once!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Andy just uploaded his pics of mine.

28596508302_d3e9ab4128_c.jpg
86 by Andy Liu, on Flickr

28418107670_404f09b3b2_c.jpg

28085274254_21708430a6_c.jpg

28670174226_b5b8962bb7_c.jpg
Troops by Andy Liu, on Flickr

28086859373_8fb2c66692_c.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I think it's the wheels and lights that make that white one look so good.

Whether or not the wheel size is practical is another matter though.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I am pretty poor at updating these. It's probably because the car is still standard, and probably will stay that way for some time. I'm just enjoying it for what it is! On Sunday, I booked a couple of sessions on track at the PH Sunday Service.

29953127903_6fd63cdfe8_c.jpg

30287396530_e12bf953c8_c.jpg

29933092663_a04f3d8f28_c.jpg

The car has had a set of Kuhmo KU39's on it for a couple of months now, the Michelins are long gone and good riddance! A lot of people call them "prius tyres" and I'm not sure if thats true or not, but I do know they were f**king crap! About usable in the dry, but in the wet the grip just falls off a cliff without warning. It was about the time they started to delaminate at the rear I decided I probably needed a change, and for £59 a corner I am mighty impressed with the Kuhmos! Overheated a tad on track, but entirely manageable. Not all the grip in the world, more than the Michelins, but I think just the right amount to enjoy the car.

As for living with the thing, well I still love it. It manages to be as fun as an MX5, but faster, sharper and more refined. It's quite remarkable it actually exists, and I urge all petrolheads to buy one (Before long we'll all be in little turbo petrols with auto gearboxes). Bad points? Rattles. I was lucky enough to have a new Clio a few years back, and it was put together a tonne better than this thing. It's not that its unreliable, just a bit crashy and rattly. It's a compromise, and still leagues ahead of the little MX5 (although, the new one looks to have better interior build quality).

Anyway, enough waffling. I'll update this as and when I can, but If anyone here is still thinking about buying one... do it. The 2017 model is particularly nice!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Bet thats a right laugh on track!

So have folk started turbo/super charging these yet, Jason?

It was a proper laugh, need to get more time on track!

Yup, I think within weeks of these going on sale there were several kits ready! It's very common. Cosworth are the best UK suppliers of a kit, they do a couple of options. Had a look at a few cars at a meet the other week. Bit out of my price range at the moment, and I'm leaving my current job to go contracting so may end up selling this/ getting a cheapo something else as a daily.

Speaking of that meet, got to check out a couple of the "Livery" Cars, and the 2017 model. Very nice!

My GoPro was mounted like a r****d, so got some video but was mostly pap. ended up scrounging from my dash cam too!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I thought I better update this rather than start more threads etc.

I've been using the car, enjoying it as you should really. Got more time to drive it over christmas too which was great Hopefully get more track days in this year as well!

I also picked up a new toy. Now I just need to upgrade my bike license!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOnDisNAl2r/?taken-by=jasoneaston

So this year I started out as a contractor, currently at Red Bull which is about 30-35 miles from me. I lasted about a week and a half of using the GT86 before I got fed up of using it. It's not great for a commuter, especially with all 6ft 4 of me in it! And I hated ruining it on the crap roads I take. I also found I started to not enjoy the car when I was doing the commute in it, you just always associate it with that and you dont feel like enjoying it anymore.

Anyway, long story short:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPSuGSMgivJ/?taken-by=jasoneaston

I now have a big lazy 2.5TDI V70. It's pretty good, and came with coilovers and T5 wheels. It's like driving an armchair, and I dont give a f**k about it which is a big bonus.

So now the GT86 is strictly weekend, holidays and trackdays. I'm thinking a suspension upgrade? Wheels?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I was thinking more along the lines of Z4M or Cayman S if I did ever sell it. But I should probably buy a house first, right?