ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cam belt VS Aux Belt + Service schedules + a whinge + quote request!

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
Hi all,

I know the whole cambelt/aux belt thing has been hammered home in the forums but there's just a few things i needed to check/whinge about/ask.

Car is a 54 plate, first registered in January 2005.
Despite reading Edde's service guide for the 182 sometime ago ( http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=107873&highlight=service - quality, thanks Edde) for some reason I had it in my numpty head that the Aux belt change was due at 36k, and the cam belt only at 72k, i.e. no time threshhold (which i now know is 5 years!). The mileage is just under 36k, so little ol' me was thinking that the dreaded cam belt change was on the distant horizon! :dead:

I called up a local place to get an Aux belt + service quote and had it done for £360, which i was chuffed with (service and price!) given Renault Lookers Chelmsford first quoted £620, and then £500 LOL :nono:

What i didn't know at the time was that the Cambelt really should have been done at the same time, saving me £150+ on the labour charge given that it is now due to be changed in January as it will be 5 years old!!! Obviously i was gutted to say the least. Major oversight on my part. To be honest i would have hoped that the garage would have advised for me to have the cambelt done at the same time, so I was a little annoyed, but at the end of the day i asked them for a quote, and i suppose they provided that quote and assumed i knew what i was doing. Still, doesn't make me feel any better!

I have been quoted £400 for just the cambelt change, which is a killer. This is for the whole kit, Original Renault Equipment, as well as replacing a 6 month old Aux belt! :mad: Is this a good price? Can anyone local to me beat it?

Also, from the service i was advised one of my rear calipers was binding on the disc, so that has to be looked at too. Anybody have this before?

So, all in all, i've gone from being chuffed that i saved money on the service, to being throughly cheesed off!

<rant over>

Now, to confirm a few things about servicing.
Aux belt is 36k, cambelt it 72k or 5 years, whatever is first? My mileage is low, so if in 4 years from now, I have done 36k and need another "A+B" service, i.e. aux belt change, then i may as well get the cam replaced at the same time?

Opinions/advice and sympathy greatly received!

PH1 172 Sport
Aux belt is 36k or 5 years. Cam belt is 72k or 5 years.

In 4 years time if you have only done 36k I would get both done to save on labour costs.