ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

car pulling to the side on new alloys.

172 MoNaCo.....
iv put 182 alloys on my 172, basically when im driving the car, it seems to pull to left or the right, its as if it get stuck in a groove on the road and have to pull the car out of it if that makes sense??:S
i was thinking it may be down to either tracking?, or when i was putting the wheels on i noticed the wheels didnt have the rings on the centre of the wheels??but there wernt any on my 172 wheels but didnt experiance any of this pulling.
so any help would be gratefull thanks.:)

182 cup Inferno
I got the same trouble with my cup havnt changed the wheels or anything had the tracking done all fine but it can be pretty scary

Focus ST
This is happening to my 172 cup at the minute, it's on 182 cup wheels - had it into the garage for a new track rod end, tracking and wheel balancing done

The frigging thing is still dong it! It's tramlining and wobbling at any little thing in the road

On acceleration it pulls hard to the right aswell, i've not had it long and appears to be lowered at the back but not at the front? Maybe this is causing it?

Not a thread hijack, just need help also

172 MoNaCo.....
yeh all tight, i cant see why there should be a difference with these wheels as there only like 5mm wider than 172's arnt they?its strange! and yeh penpaul it can be quite scary!:eek:

Focus ST
First thing i did was check tyre pressure... was 34 front and 36 rear!!! So i changed it to 32/30

It's not as bad now so maybe the car just doesn't like the wheels?

The garage said my rear bushes are almost shot but surely it wouldnt cause this?!

Nothing at the mo :(
mine does pull but the steering wheel always seems to be of center.. my tracking is fine.. thinkit might just be down to the camber in the road

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
This is happening to my 172 cup at the minute, it's on 182 cup wheels - had it into the garage for a new track rod end, tracking and wheel balancing done

The frigging thing is still dong it! It's tramlining and wobbling at any little thing in the road

On acceleration it pulls hard to the right aswell, i've not had it long and appears to be lowered at the back but not at the front? Maybe this is causing it?

Not a thread hijack, just need help also

Its a cup, its how they look.

yeh all tight, i cant see why there should be a difference with these wheels as there only like 5mm wider than 172's arnt they?its strange! and yeh penpaul it can be quite scary!:eek:

I would suggest that it is prob tyres, but thats a guess from personal experience. Mine does it a little but a lot less than when I had budgets on the front.

Plus I would say the extra 5mm might make a diffrence, but prob not much.

Focus ST
Ive had a cup before... this is a real savage pull

And pretty dangerous tbh

Hmmm - might be a long shot but what size tyres should be on 182 cup wheels? Maybe the previous owner is braindead and has incorrect tyre size on

172 MoNaCo.....
well i only had new tyres on them week before last maybe they'v over inflated them?il check tommorow.might be a long shot but my passenger side front shock is leaking but surely this wudnt make it pull both ways?strange!

Bumder With A Buffer
U don't wanna see where my steering wheel sits to go in a straight line after fitting coilies! :eek: f**king thing has to be about 10-20 degrees to the right to o straight!

Must book it in soon really! My 172 torque steers like a b**ch too, always has yet my friends doesn't.

Focus ST
It's not torque steer, can be doing 50 in 5th gear and slightly accelerate and it'l be heavy to keep it in a straight line

It's blowing my mind

Bumder With A Buffer
Oh and To the thread starter mine before coilies used to pull each way on certain parts of the road.

172 MoNaCo.....
mines lowered on springs -40mm i believe.but i was fine on 172 wheels.
i was doing around 50 60mph tonight and the white lines on the road seemed to suck me into them and its quite tricky to control.jus hope i dont fxxing crash!:(

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
What are the differences between 172 and 182 wheels, apart from the obvious looking different.

If it has started when you fitted a different part then more than likely that is causing the problem, or at least highlighting the problem.

If it is really bad then get it checked at a garage you trust, I'm sure there are a few components that if worn or damaged could have this effect!

Mine does it a bit, but its always because of road camber, even on the motorway it will drift on cambers a little. But yours sounds a lot worse.

What is it like when you brake hard?

Clio 172 Cup
Mine does this also when giving it the beans.

Just strap yourself in and hold on tight, you'll be reet! lol

Mines only started doing it since I uploaded RStuner.

Focus ST
How much are ball joints?
And Bushes all round?

Also, my exhaust just fell off :D

Tax is due, Excellent timing

Titanium 182
Sounds like your having fun

Offset on the 182 wheels is different to 172's, shouldnt any problems.

Mine torque's steer if thats what your refering too.

Ball joint it could well be

Focus ST
How much should i be expecting for a balljoint

Would that cause it to tramline and snake like it has a mind of it's own?

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
How much are ball joints?
And Bushes all round?

Also, my exhaust just fell off :D

Tax is due, Excellent timing

Gpoing to be an expensive month!

Not sure bout prices but from what I have heard it might be worth upgrading to poly bushes, if you are changing them anyway. When i have time/funds its on my "to do list"

172 MoNaCo.....
il go get the tracking done and sort the tyre pressure on sat and hopefully thatl solve it.:approve:
if not its off to the garage to be checked out :(

Track 172 & Golf R32
Ive got this aswell mate since changing 2 front wheels!?!?!

The wheels i took off though were as one person guessed, worn unevenly so i could only imagine its the tracking

Im fitting some lowering springs within the next week and getting the tracking done straight away hopefully it sorts it it bugs me to the extent i dont want to drive it lol

172 with k-tec sound
i found this also when i changed my 172 wheels for 182 cup packed wheels, must be the tyre size, as 172 are 195 45 r16, and 182 is 205 45 r16, as 182 is wider track et45 i think, needless to say i got rid of them as soon as i could, the pulling to the right alll the time did my head in.
also i found my steering wheel wasnt central in a straight line, had nothing to do with tracking/ball joints ect as they were all fine.
got some prima racing alloys now, and they are fine no problems at all.:D

Last edited:
  S4 Avant
Excessive camber can cause tramlining. Wide tyres don't help either.

The wheels will "fall" into the grooves of the road, created by endless amounts of traffic. Particularly annoying when driving down the inside lane on motorways.

Sunflower 172 :)
It only when i accelerate, it pulls like hell the the right and wen i let off it turns bk to the left, it isnt torque sterr as can do it in 5th at 40/45 could it be something to do with top standard mounts??