ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheaper option tan k tek for a engine conversion ?

Golf TDI
Does anyone know of any other options rather than k tek for a 2.0 litre engine conversion ? i have been looking into this lately and basically k tek want £3,000 !!! before anyone asks im NOT a mechanic so cant do it myself , i DONT want to buy another clio ( sport ) lol im just owndering is there anyone on here that does it or are their alternatives ? iv searched but.....:dead:

Could buy a 1*2 engine and all the gubbins then pay someone off here a few ££££ to put it together for you?

Golf TDI
iv seen the so called " shopping list that edde put together but price wise im not sure .

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just buy a 1*2? Then put standard bumpers on it etc.

LY 182
i spent that in parts to do the job properly mate and i'd want at least a grand in labour to do it again unless i was given a complete donor car to work with

its not as plug and play as people make it sounds parts are too hard to come by you have to make do with what you can find

Golf TDI
like you say , you would want atleast a grand for labour , so when it comes to parts i would have to find it all for lower than 2000 otherwise its cheaper and less hassle to go to k tek . shame im no mechanic :(

Or save the 3K, sell your car and put all that money to a 1*2.

Everyone has a bond to their first car but you've gotta move onwards.

Golf TDI
save and pay ktec the 3 grand imo seems a good deal to me

would it be silly to take out a 3 grand loan and pay it off over the rest of the time im paying off my car ? all that for speed :) iv never actually been in a moving sport , speed , accelaration etc is their a massive difference from the 1.2 . im assuming its ALOT .

LY 182
and as for the loan you will probably rregret it and dont forget to factor running costs/insurance

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
ktec sounds alot but your paying for a top job by top blokes who are generally pritty good and know what there doin plus it must come warrntyed. if your that desperate get a loan and get it done

Clio 182
Jump in feet first. Always been my motto. We all have to start somewhere, you've got plenty of people here to help you out. Other people have done 2.0 conversions so you must be able to do it too.

The £3000 k-tec charge will be mostly labour.

Do you have any family with mechanical experience? That would be a good option, get the engine and all the parts together, hire/borrow a crane, jacks and stands and get on it. You'll have it done in a day.

The only things that would bother me would be your 1.2's brakes!

Oh yeah, make sure you tell your insurance company :)

Golf TDI
Jump in feet first. Always been my motto. We all have to start somewhere, you've got plenty of people here to help you out. Other people have done 2.0 conversions so you must be able to do it too.

Do you have any family with mechanical experience? That would be a good option, get the engine and all the parts together, hire/borrow a crane, jacks and stands and get on it. You'll have it done in a day.

just a family friend , but tbh i wouldnt want it to get back to my parents as they would call me silly for spending money ha ha theyre dull they wouldnt notice i have a diff engine unless i opened the bonnet .

Golf TDI

just a family friend , but tbh i wouldnt want it to get back to my parents as they would call me silly for spending money ha ha theyre dull they wouldnt notice i have a diff engine unless i opened the bonnet .

this is also why i dont want to change the car as they dont want me getting a faster car . im not that old see !!

LY 182
a bit..... lol

a bit silly or a bit more speed ;) ha ha and as for running costs , how much more petrol are you using at the moment if you dnt mind me asking lol
a bit more power :D

depends how i drive with the 1.2 one tank would do me a month fairly easily now i need to fill it up (with optimax or it runs pants) every 2 weeks

Golf TDI
a bit silly or a bit more speed ;) ha ha and as for running costs , how much more petrol are you using at the moment if you dnt mind me asking lol
a bit more power :D

depends how i drive with the 1.2 one tank would do me a month fairly easily now i need to fill it up (with optimax or it runs pants) every 2 weeks

god you of gone far in the 1.2 lol i use a tank a week :eek: when you say runs pants . whats the difference .

LY 182
its mainly from cold its very boggy hesitant on cold running running lower octane fuel.

cant really work out why but i'd rather run it on what it likes

Golf TDI
i think the outcome of this thread then is that if you dont want your parents knowing , are not a mechanic , and dont want the hassle then go to k tek lol

Golf TDI
i think the outcome of this thread then is that if you dont want your parents knowing , are not a mechanic , and dont want the hassle then go to k tek lol

C

clvs2222

Buy mine! cheap as chips and everything all done for you. plus its local. ;)

ITB BG 182
its not as plug and play as people make it sounds parts are too hard to come by you have to make do with what you can find
Theres a junk yard near to me thats got a clio sport in (172) thats had a total rear end smash but from the window screen forwards its un touched, obv panels are shot, but other wise looks ok. Would this be some thing thats ideal.

Golf TDI
tbh yes this sound quite ideal , its just then finding someone to do it . also depending on the price of the sport , mileage , engine and parts conditions etc .

LY 182
Theres a junk yard near to me thats got a clio sport in (172) thats had a total rear end smash but from the window screen forwards its un touched, obv panels are shot, but other wise looks ok. Would this be some thing thats ideal.
perfect.
wish i'd have done it that way...

as it stands my engine loom is made from bits of 1.2 and two different 172 looms lol

Clio 182
Sorry can see a few show stoppers here!! lol
1. Where will you store the car your taking the engine from if you dont want your parents to find out
2. Insurance will eat you alive
3. how will you explain why your car is off the road for a couple of weeks
4. If you cant afford the £3000 could you really afford to run it?
5. What if it all goes bang after the transplant, what will you say to your parents?
6. your car will sound different, pull different quite sure your parents might notice this if you give them a lift, or they move it.

In my opinion, you seem to be quite young so stick with the 1.2 and buy something with a bit of go when your older.

dont get me wrong im just trying to give some friendly advice and a few things to think about, but if you were micanicly minded and was doing this as a project car rather then a way to get a faster car without your parents finding out then id be all for it.

Clio's
you wont be able to afford the insurance if you cant afford the transplant in the first place especially if your as young as you sound by having to hide everything from your parents

Golf TDI
just come out with it and let my dad in on what my plans are and he said " if your that keen on getting something faster just buy a sport so :/

ValverInBits
save and pay ktec the 3 grand imo seems a good deal to me

would it be silly to take out a 3 grand loan and pay it off over the rest of the time im paying off my car ? all that for speed :) iv never actually been in a moving sport , speed , accelaration etc is their a massive difference from the 1.2 . im assuming its ALOT .

it will only blow your socks off for a few months, then you'll want more. trust;)

just come out with it and let my dad in on what my plans are and he said " if your that keen on getting something faster just buy a sport so :/

If he's said that then personally i'd buy a sport. Not just the engine thats different in them there's other benefits.

I know your attatched to your car but as soon as you get a new one it won't bother you.

If your young make sure you get insurance quotes before you do anything!