ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cheaper Or Not?

Hi,

I fancied starting a project of my own, I obviously have a 1.4l, I fancy putting in a 2l lump maybe a turbo.

Is this cheaper, insurance wise and purchase wise?

Obviously i'd be upgrading everything - brakes, suspension, clutch, gearbox.....

I wouldn't be doing all the work!

Cro

Meg'd r27
Not always more expensive as myself and batman and probably ditz can say. My insurance is slightly cheaper, tax is half and it'll cost you next to nothing if you plan to do the work yourself!

Cro

Meg'd r27
oh yeah of course, i could obviously see the cheaper side of things if it wasn't. I picked batman and ditz because I know they are the same fully declared, theres defo a few others that arent!

on either tax system, if properly declared, including notifying the DVLA then it should have gone up.. Tax and emissions laws are based on the age of the engine.

Cro

Meg'd r27
afraid not guys, tax stays the same, my car is taxed as a 2.0 expression, batmans a 2.0 dynamique i think, and the tax stays the same as the original engine!! It can be fought with all day but thats just how things are.... suits me fine!

Soooo..... What do you suggest?

If I were to change my dynamique for a 2l sport. Costing roughly £3k?

Would it be cheaper to do the upgrade on my car????

Cro

Meg'd r27
Well if its costing you 3k then buy a sport!! 3k plus whatever you get for your own will get you a ph1 or maybe a ph2

well if its costing u 3k to upgrade which could be the same as buying a standard sport. but in tht 3k upgrade you can make sure all the parts are better than standard sport parts such as uprated brakes and engine components, also the turbo which you obv dont get with a sport and u have the satisfaction of knowing you done it all urself. :)