ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 1.2 Wont Start

Liquid Yellow 182
Hello all,
my clio is giving me nothing but hastle this last week. Right what happens in turn the engine over and the car just dont fire up and would just keep turning over, if take key out i can hear a clicking noise on drivers side under bonnet, but stops after few seconds. This can happen from anything to 5-15 times in a row then finally starts. The only lights that stay on and the stop and battery lights on the dash, everything else goes off. I have recently had new coil pack, hc leads and spark plugs. I have read something about TDC sensor, but the thing is i cant get to it, is there a way how to take air filter box off, i can undo the top 2 bolts but it just wont pull off, there is something underneath holding it. Can anyone shed me any light please?

Thanks alot

Tillz

If its the 1.2 16 valve engine then undo the two screws at the top of the air box, pull the clip in between the bolts up and pull the air box towards you and lift it up and off it should come.

The TDC sensor is directly below where you've took the air box. Held in with 2 10mm bolts iirc.

It's dark now but if you need pics I'll get some taken tomorrow for you

Cheers
Scott

Liquid Yellow 182
If its the 1.2 16 valve engine then undo the two screws at the top of the air box, pull the clip in between the bolts up and pull the air box towards you and lift it up and off it should come.

The TDC sensor is directly below where you've took the air box. Held in with 2 10mm bolts iirc.

It's dark now but if you need pics I'll get some taken tomorrow for you

Cheers
Scott
Okay now i know how to get air box out.
i know where the tdc sensor is, i just Couldnt get to it, so i sprayed it with wd40 but obv couldnt disconnect plugs. Is there anything else i should try?

Yep once the air box is off you'll be able to see it, it's just 2 10mm bolts holding it in and a wiring connector in the side, there's a clip on the connector which you'll need to pull to release the wiring off the sensor.

Liquid Yellow 182
Yep once the air box is off you'll be able to see it, it's just 2 10mm bolts holding it in and a wiring connector in the side, there's a clip on the connector which you'll need to pull to release the wiring off the sensor.
Just give it a clean with wd40 and all shud be okay? Shall i check anything else?

Racing Blue Clio 182
When your car dose not start wiggle the tdc connector then try and start the car if it starts your probably looking at a new tdc sensor and wiring connector if you get 1 from Renault

Liquid Yellow 182
Now ive cleaned my tdc sensor with wd40. And also cleaned my key with wd40 aswell. Now when i start my car, if i turn on the engine before the lights on the dash go off, then the car will start. But if lights go out then he car will just tun over but not fire up. If i take key and and put back in nd do it quick then it will start. Whats the problem people?

Liquid Yellow 182
Right its happening alot more now. My car wont fire up. Ive turned the key twice and the imobiliser red light is sold then goes off after 3 seconds. I tryed to listen to my fuel pump, but cant hear nothing. Am i supposed to be hearing a buzzing noise?

Liquid Yellow 182
Can anyone else shed some light before monday? Thats when im down home and dad is going to call RAC to come out.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Right its happening alot more now. My car wont fire up. Ive turned the key twice and the imobiliser red light is sold then goes off after 3 seconds. I tryed to listen to my fuel pump, but cant hear nothing. Am i supposed to be hearing a buzzing noise?

you should hear the fuel pump prime the lines when you turn the key (lasts about 1 - 2 seconds). another thing to check is the coil pack (i.e make sure its actually sparking at the plugs). You can test it on the 1.2's by pulling off the HT lead and holding the end near the rocker cover (or any other metal) and then turning over the car, you should see a spark. Put some thick gloves on though or insulated pliers to hold the HT lead else you will get a nasty shock! :p

Liquid Yellow 182
you should hear the fuel pump prime the lines when you turn the key (lasts about 1 - 2 seconds). another thing to check is the coil pack (i.e make sure its actually sparking at the plugs). You can test it on the 1.2's by pulling off the HT lead and holding the end near the rocker cover (or any other metal) and then turning over the car, you should see a spark. Put some thick gloves on though or insulated pliers to hold the HT lead else you will get a nasty shock! :p

Haha, well i have fitted new spark plugs, coil pack and ht leads about 3 months ago. Bought brand new. The car has been doing this for 2 weeks, but not as much as its doing now. The other day i went it to back of someone as they slammed on ther brakes, could this have anything to do with it?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
yes, depending on how hard the impact was you could have made something in the loom come loose or damaged some wires near the front of the car. Check the coils again (even though they are new, could just be a dodgy unit).

Do you hear the pump prime for 2 seconds when you turn the key then?

Liquid Yellow 182
yes, depending on how hard the impact was you could have made something in the loom come loose or damaged some wires near the front of the car. Check the coils again (even though they are new, could just be a dodgy unit).

Do you hear the pump prime for 2 seconds when you turn the key then?

Was quite hard to be fair mate, okay will check tomorrow, and well i read on another thread the the fuel pump is like a buzzing noise and thats what ive been listening for. Would i be able to hear from the front seat or would i have to have the back seat up? So it is visible?

Liquid Yellow 182
Wait.. As i think about it, i can hear fuel pump mate. It lasts for about 2 secs. Its like a buduzz noise (do sound affect to it lol)

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
yeah you can hear the fuel priming form the drivers seat, its quite loud :) If in doubt, wip the inlet manifold and injectors off, turn the car over and you will see fuel spray from the jets. Whilst you there, check the fuel pipes aren't damaged/leaking.

Liquid Yellow 182
I went and checked and i can hear it mate, does that rule fuel pump out of it then? Anything else matey? What if car sparks fine? Get tdc sensor off and give it a proper clean? Also what wires could have came loose pal?

Last edited:
  Liquid Yellow 182
Right i have not drove the car since yesterday afternnon. Just started it now from cold, started up 5 tmes straight away. Both when turn key straight away and turn key twice and wait for dash lights to go out. Could this be battery, im wondering. When its warm it dbt fire up.