ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 16V - no pull over 5500RPM

I have a standard Clio, as best I can tell. Its a cool car, but it lacks pulling power over 5500RPM. Any ideas what the problem may be and how to improve it with performance parts and with out performance parts?

Can any one recommend a Clio dianostics place close to Royston (near Cambridge) in Hertsfordshire?

Clio 16V ,1994 , 96k miles.

Thanks.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Ummm very strange! have you given it a good service? engine oil + filter, fuel filter, pluggs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm. Also might be worth getting the injectors cleaned as they could be blocked.

If its none of this then it could be a faulty sensor or ecu etc. best bet like you say is to get it onto a diag machine. There usually about 20-25 for a check.

Also this might sound stupid but have you checked that you getting full throttle? take the air box off and get someone to press the accelerator. Make sure both butterfly valves are opening fully.

i have exactly the same problem mate, but mine wont accelerate properly past 5000 revs! ive already changed my dissi cap, rotor arm, uprated my air filter, plugs and leads. Also fed the 16v with some injector cleaner. What is the f**king problem????

i lose so many races due to this, think its time to visit nick at hillpower!!!!

I had to clean my fuelpump when it started to have problems in high revs.

Test your fuelpreasure an/or clean your pump. The pump has a sort of filter in front of it inside the fueltank.

How do you test the fuel pump pressure and what should it be?

Ive just added some injector cleaning stuff.

:(

172 exclusive no 172

get a cat by pass and free up the engine... you will see a difference straight away...i did but then again i dont have a cat any more..

aaronc what you done to get the valver to rev to 7200 cos mine bounces of the limiter at 6950 ??????

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Havnt read all b4 me but i noticed the power band to end at around those revs when putting my standard air box back on, try using a Green Coton air filter.

If it is more serious then u should hav a compression test.

Can I drive the car legally without a CAT? And what happens when I go for my next MOT? Out of interest how much is a CAT?

Thanks

Bumder With A Buffer

Not sure if its legal to drive with having a DE-CAT pipe but i do know that the car wont pass its mot with a DE-CAT pipe on it. Each time ur MOT is due, whack the CAT back on.

If the car was registered before 31st December 1992, your car doesnt have to pass stricter emissions tests as part of the MOT. The car will have its emissions tested, but the CO2 threshold is higher. Most modern cars that have no catalyst fitted would pass this with ease.

For cars registered after 31st December 1992, the emissions test is harsher and most cars need a cat to pass it. But that does not mean you must have a catalyst fitted. In practice, some cars would even pass the test without a cat. It is not a legal requirement to have a catalyst fitted, although it is the law that your car pass an emissions test at any time.

Basically, you need a cat to get legal emissions - but you cant be done for not having a cat in itself. If a Police officer were to pull you over for not having a catalyst, he could not act unless it was proven that the car failed the emissions test.

I always go sans-cat as theyre expensive to replace and soak up a bit of performance. I just re-fit it at MOT time.

try gradually depressing the accelerator as the engine speed increases. Or hold the accelerator steady in 2nd at around 4500 rpm for a few seconds and then boot it! You should feel a very noticable pull as you rev right round to 7200. For some reason flooring the accelerator in the valver can slow you down, like i say be more incremental :confused: with the accelerator and you may see a difference.

Alternatively, and I had the same problem with mine, the air filter box had come away slightly from the air feed pipe and my car was sucking in hot air from the engine bay. i couldnt get above about 110, and where is the fun in that? Resealed the air pipe to the air box with some jubilee clips and some duck tape and everything was fine.

How much is CAT?

My air box doesnt have a feed pipe the wheel arch.

One other thing I have noticed. On half throttle & in 5th from 70 she (Clio) will get to 110 with no( verry little) increase in oil/water temp. Were if i use full throttle she accelerates a little faster, oil/water temp goes up, and makes a lot of air induction noise. And stops at about 112.

Possible conclusion(s)?:

Fuel filter restricting fuel

Low fuel pressure

Hot air in to inlet (air box)

CAT knackered

ECU / sensor issue?