ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172/197 forged turbo engine build

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No going back now :)

Going to be January before I get a chance to actually rebuild it but I thought today while I had a spare few hours and it wasn't raining much I'd quickly whip the old engine and box out so I've got the block to hand for machining.

C094267D-892D-4ACB-9803-8A1D56474BB9-8019-000006872D39539C.jpg

5618556A-5B0D-4467-8810-46A35AB59DE5-8019-000006871CB96891.jpg

first of the rebuild parts turned up this week too:

1E0BEC7B-DD28-4279-AB01-3E8AF5B2CBFC-7133-00000609BA07179B.jpg

749CAE9C-BA13-49DE-BCCA-5846C554951D-7133-00000609B3DAE7DD.jpg

I'm not looking to increase power really with the rebuild, just want a bottom end I know I can rev a bit more if I need to coming out of a bend and wanted some fresh new bores as the block was very worn even before it was turbo'd originally.

The intercooler/turbo/manifold combination I'm using is only really suited to around 280bhp or so, but that's ideal for on track anyway, more than that in a fwd car is of limited use really and I like how it drives anyway so no need to change the spec.

Will add some supertech valves in the interests of reliability though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Look forward to reading up on this Chip. What rods have you went for?

They are just the generic steel ones that people like pec and ed sell mate. Nothing mega fancy as they don't need to be at this level so bit silly if I spend arrows money on it. Same ones I used in porkies throttle bodies engine and that seems to take a beating nicely :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Working in the rain ftw lol

I just caught the tail end of the rain for the last hour or so luckily and it wasnt too heavy, sadly the nova is already up on stands in the workshop along with my mates corrado on a spit, so I'm stuck with the driveway at the moment or the garage and the garage hasnt really got enough room for moving an engine on a crane about etc.

love this car it's got plenty of good useable power for the track & now it's getting a reliable forged engine :approve:

Hopefully will be even more useable with the Quaiffe diff, its the one thing that it really felt like it was lacking.
Should still be a pleasant road car too :)

Evo 5 RS
Definitely! Will be using the same rods, glad this popped up actually as I was going to ask you what your take on those particular ones were.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Awaiting the following post;

'Now it's forged I decided to have a little play and see what power it could make, then return it to normal.

Got 350bhp, decided not to go back'

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Crazy thing is, it was still going really well.

Ive only used it a couple of times since silverstone, so realistically it was probably bent by then, so that video I posted of it on here of it flying past a whole load of stuff on track, was almost certainly with the Rod as bent as in these pics, lol

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Would've been interesting to see much longer it went for before completely lost it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Awaiting the following post;

'Now it's forged I decided to have a little play and see what power it could make, then return it to normal.

Got 350bhp, decided not to go back'

Nah, my intercooler and turbo manifold arent suitable for that sort of power mate, neither is the turbo itself.

Its one thing having a bit of fun with a disposable engine that is there to hand, its another wasting money I could be spending on the Mk1, anywhere in the 260-280 range for the new engine and I will be happy so long as it is then reliable.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Time to lower the boost pressure then :p

New engine would take the boost just fine im sure, but need to be a bit careful of the gearbox as im hoping it will all last a year or so till the mk1 is done, this is only a temporary car for me really.

what's the cap for the focus turbo Chip?

Sorry mate I dont understand what you mean about a cap?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
what power can it flow?

i know the engine will take it but if you run run 21 psi i gues it would be well over the 260-280 you're aiming for :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
what power can it flow?

i know the engine will take it but if you run run 21 psi i gues it would be well over the 260-280 you're aiming for :)

Oh right, just over 300, but not on the intercooler etc I am using, it was only making that boost lower in the rev range, the turbo isnt capable of making it at high RPM as the engine breathes too well.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
must have full boost pretty low then!

i currently have a gt28rs .64 on my f7r with 9:1CR. although i couldn't floor it because it still hasn't got a remap or standalone i did notice boost comes to 10 psi ish around 2500-3000rpm.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well as you know these engines dont start to work well till 5K+, and the peak boost was in way before that, by 6K+ where they really like making power it was down to under a bar.

Genuinely not bothered about making it any more power, it was plenty quick enough as it was,.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
different to f7r then, mine starts to pull well around 4k. however it's done by 7k.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
You know Im going to be watching this build again. Hope Im about in new year for a cheeky ride in it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I am always happy to take people out so let me know if you are about once its done.

Might make a start on the build at Xmas.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ordered up all the belts/bearings/gaskets/pumps etc today from that Adam guy who Fred is always recommending to people, what an absolute star, totally knocks spots of every other renault parts person added together that I have ever dealt with TBH, he carries LOADS of RS specific stock, and actually totally understands all the little bits and what they do so when you ask for something he knows what it is etc.

Have provisionally booked the block into a mates place for boring next week, so as long as I get a bit of time this weekend to finish stripping it I can hopefully get it over to him monday night and get it back bored on wednesday night, then I can spend a bit of time on it over xmas hopefully, although as always sadly I have loads of other (paid and hence more important, lol) work that needs to take priority.

I've decided to go for a 172 head gasket which will put me at about 9.5:1 based on the quick measurements I took of the piston and head chamber volumes with a syringe (sadly my beaurette got broken the day before and I didnt have chance to grab so I couldnt measure it exactly, but TBH I only need to know the ballpark not the exact figure anyway for this)
Based on how well it was working before at very slightly more CR than that Im keen to keep it quite high so it still works well at high rpm.

Hoping to get it built up by early January, and then Danpl6 has offered me the use of his ramp and some of his time to fit it back in the bay rather than do it all on the driveway on my own like im otherwise going to be stuck with as my garages and workshop all have cars in at the moment which arent going to be mobile to get out the way by then, so that might be an option, although I need to weigh up if having to trailer it over there etc is actually more hassle than just manning the F up and getting on with it on the drive in the snow, certainly wouldnt be the first time Ive put an engine and box in while its snowing but I am knocking on a bit now, cold old bones and all that, lol

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Looks like abit of a mess!

Good luck with it all mate, you know I'm always up to see if my presence breaks it again :p